Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • John Lydon on Gordon Ramsey show now
  • rotten
    Free Member

As above

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Funny how he pops up to share how much he hates the media establishment when he’s got something to flog…..

bigblackshed

He was on Simon Mayo yesterday.

Complete and utter bellend.

tjagain

Has no one understood the lesson of ” Who killed bambi”? the whole Jonny rotton persona was a cynical marketing exercise

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Is he still flogging butter?

jekkyl

perhaps he’ll tell the tired old tale of how he pissed on the grave of the teacher who said he’d amount to nothing. Ever feel like you’ve been cheated?!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I really like the last two PiL albums.

spekkie
    Free Member

That’s the great thing about music – you can like it without liking the person who makes it 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I rather like him.
    People slate him for doing stuff post Sex Pistols, but he’s got to make a crust, like the rest of us do.
    Personally I find him quite articulate and entertaining. Give me him over the mediocre of this world anytime.

Pigface
    Free Member

Plays the part well, more entertaining than most.

136stu
    Free Member

Has no one understood the lesson of ” Who killed bambi”? the whole Jonny rotton persona was a cynical marketing exercise

The Great Rock and Roll Swindle was the swindle/cynical marketing exercise with McLaren trying wring more cash from The Sex Pistols brand. Johnny Rotten wasnt a figment and he himself had walked due to the BS well before this. I believe John Lydon is/was quite genuine.

tjagain

No way was he ever genuine.

DezB
    Free Member

Give me him over the mediocre of this world anytime.

Too bloody right.

No way was he ever genuine.
    yeah, like you know 🙄

[edit]Not that I’ve any interest in watching him on Gordon Ramsey’s show btw!

tjagain

Dez – he has said so himself! He knew the pistols was a cynical marketing exercise right from the start. An intelligent man

Rubber_Buccaneer

he has said so himself!

Did you believe that 🙄

Pigface
    Free Member

the pistols was a cynical marketing exercise right from the start.

Well Bollocks is still a brilliant album, Malcolm might of said that but the original 4 pistols were genuine.

jekkyl

he’s got a chip on his shoulder the size ireland.

DezB
    Free Member

An intelligent man

We’re agreed then 🙂 Pistols lyrics, for a chap of his age then, are incredible I think. (and unlike me, he can make a readable sentence!)

gobuchul
    Free Member

Bollocks was a serious album.

When Sid Vicous was added, that’s when it went to shit.

If you ever hear Glenn Matlock talk about it, he’s still pissed off with what happened.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Totally genuine? Are we talking about the same guy?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

He knew the pistols was a cynical marketing exercise right from the start. An intelligent man

I’d argue that’s all part of a cynical marketing exercise. 😉

FTR, saw the Pistols live at IoW Festival. Time I won’t get back.

Rubber_Buccaneer

saw the Pistols live at IoW Festival

Me too, I quite enjoyed them. I think that was the year Ian Brown was playing and he was crap…problem is I had high expectations of him and was looking forward to his performance 👿

tjagain

Bollox was a huge part of the cynical marketing exercise. Remember “the singles will not be on the album”?

However none of that takes away from the effect it had and that they produced some songs that stand the test of time IE they sound OK still now

Pigface
    Free Member

TJ no I don’t remember, would like some proof.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Remember “the singles will not be on the album”?

What was that supposed to achieve?

DezB
    Free Member

“the singles will not be on the album”?

Was that The Clash or Siouxsie?

tjagain

It was a direct quote from McLaran before the release of never mind the bollocks. “the singles will not be on the album” but yet when it was released all the previous singles were on it. Deliberate cynical marketing exercise. Lydon is an intelligent man and beholden to no one – he could have spoken up but didn’t. He knew exactly what was going on.

the cynical marketing is even in the lyrics ” I use the NME” etc etc

” Ever feel like you have been cheated” was the last words from Lydon playing with the pistols

It was so obvious even to the 17 yr old me. However unlike most bands of the time they were quite open about it. A huge mythology has built up around the pistols mostly created by McLaran and Lydon

136stu
    Free Member

Totally genuine? Are we talking about the same guy?

Sorry but all that tells me is that he is no political commentator – cant argue that hes not working class though.

Pistols live at IoW Festival

That is a money making exercise obviously but nothing to do with “The Swindle”. The Stone Roses, Led Zep, ELO and many many more “re-form” out of convenience when the coffers start to run dry. It only happens because punters are mug enough to fall for it but it can never be the real deal. Doesnt mean they werent genuine to begin with.

tjagain

I am listening to the album right now. Its not bad.

Pigface
    Free Member

TJ never heard that before, so excuse my cynicism.

I think when they imploded in Texas Lyndon was sick of McLaren and that quote was more aimed at him rather than being some great confession.

Sid was a hapless junkie, Jones and Cook were burnt out. Lyndon went off and did Pil, the lyrics of Public Image say it all about how McLaren tried to take over and flog the pistols. IMO it wasn’t like that at the start

Northwind

Entertaining bellend, could do with more of those.

jekkyl

interseting how the Op of this thread is named ‘rotten’ – coincidence? *rubbing chin emoji*

DezB
    Free Member

coincidence?

No. I checked his history 8)

Cougar

Rabid Brexiter, if that influences anyone’s opinion one way or the other.

DezB
    Free Member

Rabid Brexiter – who lives in the US 😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Don’t know about ‘rabid’ – I think he said in his Guardian interview that he would have voted remain, but that he respects the referendum result as ‘the will of the working class’.

I’ve read his autobiography, and in that he comes across as more thoughtful (and perhaps agreeable) than he does in his media-splash promotion efforts.

And, I am a big PIL fan.

Clown / idiot / bellend – at least he is colourful and interesting, and honest in his intentions to provoke and prickle. It’s good to have people like that, I think.

And, so what if he sold some butter once? I’ve had to sell all sorts of boring stuff to make ends meet. At least he used his proceeds to make music…

kimbers

PiL good,

pistols, seem overrated, now

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I think that was the year Ian Brown was playing and he was crap…problem is I had high expectations of him and was looking forward to his performance

I saw them in 2008 – Police were headlining. And very good. 🙂

Rabid Brexiter – who lives in the US

I refuse to believe those that live outside the UK have strong opinions on Brexit. 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Rabid Brexiter – who lives in the US

with an Irish passport

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘John Lydon on Gordon Ramsey show now’ is closed to new replies.