Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • John Bishop
  • samuri
    Free Member

I’m sorry about this.

I appreciate he’s some kind of national treasure and everything and he does come out with the odd slightly humorous remark but it’s the accent.

I worked and lived in Liverpool for more than ten years. I’ve spent an awful lot of time there, I’m married to a scouser, I know a huge amount of liverpudlians, obviously I’m related to plenty….

And yet…I have never, ever, ever, ever heard an accent like that. It’s massively annoying. It’s got to be completely made up but I just don’t get it.

STOP IT! Thanks.

camo16
    Free Member

Pish boo jnh

Uh… Wrong thread. 😯

Agree totally though. Dude’s not funny. And I’m married to a Scouser too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I appreciate he’s some kind of national treasure….

Indeed, which means that he doesn’t even need to be funny. So don’t bash the Bishop.

ell_tell
    Free Member

I got assaulted by a scouser when I was a kid. Coloured my view of them ever since.

loddrik
    Free Member

He accentuates elements of it for comedic effect. I’ve heard loads of people speak in a similar way, though usually drunk older men. The scouse accent is the most nuanced of the UK’s accents according to those who study such things, and there are many differences depending on where you are from. Though to the untrained ear they probably all sound the same.

I know he spent some time in runcorn so maybe that played a part. But his family are from Canny Farm/Huyton so I can’t doubt his scouseness…

athgray
    Free Member

I have seen him in a few serious dramas. He can act a bit.

Woody
    Free Member

My ex used to work for him (pharmaceutical company) where he was National Sales Manager and apparently they couldn’t get him off stage at conferences!

Everyone thought he was barking when he left to be a full time comedian but I guess he’s had the last laugh.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

The funniest thing i heard about JB was his wife cheating on him with a friend of her dads.
    No idea if true but I laughed more than I have at any of his routines.

chojin
    Free Member

Most unfunny “comedian” I’ve ever had the mispleasure of listening to.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bishop’s brilliant – his frequent line, “who would have believed it, me John Bishop…..”. He sums it up perfectly. Brilliant ironic humour.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Can’t stand him and had the misfortune of teaching at the school that his kids go to.

Junkyard
    Free Member

one of those middle of the road mainstream comedians who appeals to the masses with his bland version of inoffensive comedy

nealglover
    Free Member

…had the misfortune of teaching at the school that his kids go to.

Is it a bad school ?

luffy105
    Free Member

I saw him live just before he really hit the big time and he was brilliant.

Personally I find him to be extremely funny and very quick witted. He is obviously enjoying his fame and I think he handles it well. What’s more he seems to be a pretty nice bloke off the camera too. I haven’t met him personally but a friend of mine has and said he was a charming bloke who took the time to chat to them.

loddrik
    Free Member

He looks like Bez.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Witty, sharp and a gift for telling stories but still very MOR. Doesn’t do much for me to be honest. More of a Stewart Lee fan myself.

Drac

Does some very funny stories but become too mainstream.

And yes whilst not a great expert on Liverpudlians both him and Cilia Black have very odd accents.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Boring

loddrik
    Free Member

Does some very funny stories but become too mainstream.
    And yes whilst not a great expert on Liverpudlians both him and Cilia Black have very odd accents.

Difference being most scousers love John Bishop, whereas most scousers ABSOLUTELY HATE Cilla Black!!!!!!

CHB

….and that Billy Connoly, never heard a scottish person talk like him! Whats his game?

🙂

samuri
    Free Member

I dunno about that, they all talk funny. 😉

Routeunknown
    Free Member

Have always thought that he is just someone who is really good at powerpoint presentations.

Don’t really know why. Must be the formats of his shows.

mattsccm
    Free Member

National treasure.
    Never heard of him. I assumed he was either some criminal or victim by the fact he was mentioned here.

brakes
    Free Member

“Eere’s a funny sdory… my cat… ate a biscuit…. dat ee found… in da bin. Oooo’d av tought…………. dat me…. John Bishop…. cud av ad………aaaa cat….. like dat?”

Yeah. Too funny.

zippykona

All the time Michael maccyntyre is around and I can’t afford 2 hit men he’s safe.

Garry_Lager

Seems a v funny, engaging bloke (for a wool) of the man down the pub variety, but his standup is pretty bad. You can’t have such a slow delivery with his material, it’s too weak.

Think he’s better suited to general telly light entertainment / acting – could have a long career with that.

voodoo_chile

He is shite , a modern day Stan Boardman … Sounds like a local historian called “Frank Carlisle”

akira

A lot of bashing the Bishop going on here tonight!

loddrik
    Free Member

He is shite , a modern day Stan Boardman … Sounds like a local historian called “Frank Carlisle”

I stand corrected. Looks like not all scousers like John Bishop! 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

I know a nice scouser.

Honest.

DezB
    Free Member

A lot of bashing the Bishop going on here tonight!

Was that your tribute to Bishop? Doing a joke that’s already been done funnier?

voodoo_chile

Still not a fan of him

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘John Bishop’ is closed to new replies.