Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Jogging for beginners help.
  • mogrim

muscles dont stretch and they are often adhered to bone along their length which makes it impossible.

So how do they work? If they’re stuck to bones they can’t contract.

The ITB is a good example of pointless stretching. It is adhered to the femur almost its whole length.

No it isn’t.

surfer
    Free Member

I think you will find it is. You can research this yourself if you want or I could provide sources. Its also not a muscle.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer’s personal favourite.

Not particularly it is just bad advice that keeps getting trotted out by people who like to give the impression that they are knowledgeable. I remember you rubbishing interval training recently as you were ill informed about that. That is another “personal favourite” of mine.

mogrim

I think you will find it is. You can research this yourself if you want or I could provide sources. Its also not a muscle.

I know it’s not a muscle. And it isn’t attached to the femur.

Wiki:

The iliotibial tract or iliotibial band (also known as Maissiat’s band or IT Band) is a longitudinal fibrous reinforcement of the fascia lata. The action of the ITB and its associated muscles is to extend, abduct, and laterally rotate the hip. In addition, the ITB contributes to lateral knee stabilization. During knee extension the ITB moves anterior, while knee flexion moves the ITB posterior. It originates at the anterolateral iliac tubercle portion of the external lip of the iliac crest and inserts at the lateral condyle of the tibia at Gerdy’s tubercle.

There are a whole load of other places online offering definitions, Wikipedia was just the first I found and could be bothered copying, and none of them state that it is adhered to the femur almost its whole length.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m not interested in the paper and I am not going to read it.

I think non anecdotal answers would be best

So if it’s not peer reviewed, not written and not anecdotal, what kind of information would you like? I don’t think it’s going to make the next season of Panorama. Most of the google hits for it are to newspaper columns reading into the papers incorrectly. Lots of running journalists cite this one for some reason, probably because stretching is bad for running, here’s why, makes good clickbait.

Anyway, here’s a similar paper to the one I was citeing. Static* stretching’s no good for your 1RM, but I’m sticking with my assertion that running is chuff all to do with your 1RM.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22692125

*the paper recommends you work the muscles through their range of motion though, it just records a dip of 5.5% in 1RM if you hold the stretch for more than 90s (and substantially less if under 45s, which is still a long stretch).

And of running in particular:
    http://kinex.cl/papers/TFA/Does%20Stretching%20Improve%20Performance.pdf

Of the 23 articles examining the effects of an acute bout of stretching, 22 articles suggested that there was no benefit for the outcomes isometric force, isokinetic torque, or jumping height. There was 1 article that suggested improved running economy. Of 4 articles examining running speed, 1 suggested that stretching was beneficial, 1 suggested that it was detrimental, and 2 had equivocal results. Of the 9 studies examining the effects of regular stretching, 7 suggested that it was beneficial, and the 2 showing no effect examined only the performance test of running economy. There were none that suggested that it was detrimental.

So again, not good for strength, mixed results for running speed, and unanimous (apart from in running economy) on the benefits of regular stretching.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Is one problem with research on stretching that it focuses on performance, not how stiff you feel the next day?

surfer
    Free Member

So if it’s not peer reviewed, not written and not anecdotal,

I only asked for non anecdotal I didnt ask that they not be peer reviewed or “written”. Not sure where you go that from. Also I am not sure what 1RM etc is.
    I am not sure that article you reference is saying what you think it is saying. In summary their is little or no evidence to support stretching and some of the findings contradicted each other or had such a small number of participants to be useless from what I can see.

I know it’s not a muscle. And it isn’t attached to the femur.

“This layer of deep fascia completely ensheathed the thigh and was continuous with the strong lateral intermuscular septum, which was firmly anchored to the linea aspera of the femur.”

From here

mogrim

“This layer of deep fascia completely ensheathed the thigh and was continuous with the strong lateral intermuscular septum, which was firmly anchored to the linea aspera of the femur.”

TIL, would seem that about most of the web pages I saw (including Wikipedia) are wrong. Although being attached doesn’t imply it can’t move.

Anyway, some studies do indicate stretching is a useful tool to get you back to sport: see 3.1 here. I’m certainly not going to stop stretching, ymmv.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

So thats cleared that up then 🙂

Had a few shorter runs since starting off with brisk walks and things seem to be a little easier. Going to gradually build the distances up. Also thinking it’s going to be a great way to find some new local trails that I could miss on the bike.

Mackem – Member
    For stretching I recommend this book…
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretching-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070226/ref=cm_lmf_tit_1

If you want, I could scan and send a few pages for you.

Thanks for the offer Mackem, very kind of you. I will see how I get on and if I’m still struggling I may well take you up on your offer.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Jogging for beginners help.’ is closed to new replies.