Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Joggers Nipple
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

Not really suffered from this before but now I’ve upped my distances in my training for the Great North Run I have nipples that look are looking like corned beef.
    I usually apply some anti-chaffing cream but due to the sweat it isn’t doing the job so now looking at tape/plasters. I’ve seen Nipguards but they are expensive so does anyone recommend a tape or plaster that stays in place on a very sweaty body, t-shirt soaked in sweat and protects the nipples. I have a very hairy chest which I know will probably cause much swearing when the tape or plaster is removed but it has got to be better than the bleeding nipples I have now.

thecaptain
    Free Member

transpore tape, a small square should stay put, not too bad to remove.

matt_outandabout

Are you using a good wicking base layer without logo or stitching over nipple area?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Zinc Oxide tape works for me…. usually forget to use it mind.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Mate has this – last 2 half marathons I have done with him he has worn a white top and ended the race with 2 large red circles on his shirt, not a good look.

Killer
    Free Member

I have started using the “Runderwear” nipple pieces. GOt a load free at the London Marathon. Don’t think they’re that pricy and therefore much much cheaper than the nipple guards and really effective. Need to be put on dry though.
    THey are pretty much just a glorfied plaster though. but they tend to stick in place

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Only time I’ve ever had this was when I wore a cotton t-shirt – never again. Nothing else to add as using proper running t-shirts stopped this 100%

Mate has this – last 2 half marathons I have done with him he has worn a white top and ended the race with 2 large red circles on his shirt, not a good look.

Saw this at the (rather warm) Liverpool half. Ouch!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I use Adidas Climalite or Kalenji (Decathlon) running t-shirts which are both wicking materials but once they are wet with sweat they are on a losing battle. They will often dry out within minutes of finishing a run.

Killer, I’ve tried searching for the Rundewear nipple plasters but can only find links to their underwear.

I think I’ll get some surgical tapes mentioned above and give them a try.

josemctavish
    Free Member

Have you looked at what you’re running in, rather than having to cover them up? I find that some synthetic base layers have a really bad texture to them, which over the course of a long hot run, has a sandpaper-like effect on the nips. I always do long runs in a decent, snug-fitting merino layer and have no issues now.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I get this on the bike as well if doing long long days in hot conditions.
    If i’m doing a long run or 10hrs + on the bike i’ll tape them up.

Don’t worry much about what tape you use, basically your just creating a barrier so what ever stays stuck. I have elastic tape (like a plaster with out the pad) but to be honest the vast majority of times I’ve noticed that they are sore mid ride and just used duct tape I always carry on the bike. rip a small square off and stick it over the nip, problem solved!

allthegear
    Free Member

edit – you know when you make a silly tongue-in-cheek comment, then check the username of the OP and realise it might be in bad taste? That 😳

Rachel

craigxxl
    Free Member

Don’t worry Rachel I’ve hear all the comments before but happy to know I’m doing something about it.

Tape has been ordered so will try it on the next run and if it doesn’t arrive in time then it will Duct tape instead.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Can’t help, sorry. Slight aside and maybe empathic – is bedmaker’s pits a thing? I changed 9 beds on holiday and my armpits are now so sore that the merest glance of a deodorant ball is a cruel if unusual punishment 😯

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

Just use micropore tape from Boots, costs pennies, stays in place and doesn’t rip your nips off when removed!

4ags4
    Free Member

Nipguards may seem expensive but they work a treat and you’ll be happy you splashed out after 13 miles!

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I use Adidas Climalite or Kalenji (Decathlon) running t-shirts which are both wicking materials but once they are wet with sweat they are on a losing battle. They will often dry out within minutes of finishing a run.

These are the kinds of running tops I use, so nothing to change there. Tape ’em up!!

epicyclo

Mate in Oz used to cut holes in his running tops. Looked somewhat obscene though. 🙂

mogrim

Vaseline will resist the sweat, just take a small pot or tube along with you and reapply every 30 min or so.

Also, not all “technical” t-shirts are the same, make sure the one you’re wearing isn’t too tight or isn’t your shape. Quality is another factor, the cheap Decathlon ones are just that: cheap. Better than cotton, but nothing like as good as a decent top.

Merak

Lanolin, cream for cracked nipples. Works a treat for runners nipples, I’m saying it again, nipples.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Get a snug fitting base layer or use tape. I use those mesh craft/dhb/rapha vests under my club* vest as it has a seem right across my nip (*I’m a slow club runner)

giant_scum
    Free Member

I used a Kalenji compression base layer for training on the day of the Edinburgh marathon with no nipple issues! Snugness of fit is most important though.

Twodogs

Another vote for micropore tape from Boots…cheaper than plasters and stays on for several hours

sarkmeister
    Free Member

I used to get a similar problem, but I now always run with a tight base layer on under my running top (Under Armour normally). This prevents it happening. I have sleeveless ones for the summer, and I dont think they make me any warmer on hot days.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve got some tape and due a run tonight so will tape up my scabby nipples and see how it goes.
    I might try the tight base layer if it doesn’t work as I already have a few Under Armour compression t shirts that I use for rowing but think I may get too hot in doing so.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Known as ravers nipple of course to people of a certain age.

steve-g
    Free Member

Sellotape hits the perfect balance between sticky enough on skin to stay on, and un-sticky enough on hair to not cause you to accidentally wax your moobs.

Also, you probably own a load of it already.

turboferret

eBay 4p per plaster, tis what I do when wearing certain running tops which are slightly loose and aren’t nipple-friendly over a critical distance.

If you have a hairy chest, you can make sure that you don’t get too much hair on the sticky bit too, to facilitate discomfort-free removal too 🙂

Cheers, Rich

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve tried minty arse lard and vaseline, vaseline works best.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Joggers Nipple’ is closed to new replies.