Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Joe Murray – STW Issue 77 – What a job!
  • boltonjon

After reading the article in the new magazine, i really believe that Joe has the coolest job in the world

Shimano send him loads of prototypes, he tests them, provides feedback, and they refine the design accordingly

Could there be a more satisfying job out there?

Also a fascinating article, purely for the information about how Shimano design, prototype, test & manufacture their equipment – a vital product most of us will have used at some point, or some of us depend on every time we jump on a bike

Very enlightening 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d have thought starting the most iconic bike company of the 90s would have been higher on the list

chakaping
    Free Member

Fully agree boltonjon – most interesting bike mag article I’ve read for some time – and what a job indeed!

I’m a big Shimano fan anyway, but it’s great to hear that QC is so important to them.

scruff
    Free Member

I guess he (or anyone else) didnt bother testing the new XTR pedals. 😛

boltonjon

Good point Scruff – I’m awaiting my warranty replacement – bearing failure after 4 months isn’t so good!!

acidchunks

I’m left wondering if he really designed my bike frame or if Halfords have fooled me proper…. 🙁

bikeneil
    Free Member

Halfords have fooled me proper

I’d say so….

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ve hemailed Joe a couple of times and I’ve always had a reply, if its actually Joe that replied. Really helpful in sorting stuff out even with the older frames. Good stuff!

Northwind

Think it basically depends how old the design of your Voodoo is. Older ones were “proper Voodoo” frames built up to Halfords’ spec. Newer ones, not so much. Surprised how open he was about that tbh.

iain1775
    Free Member

Think it basically depends how old the design of your Voodoo is. Older ones were “proper Voodoo” frames built up to Halfords’ spec.

Sorry Northwind but my ‘older’ (read 1995/6 and first batch into the UK frame number 0037) was not built up to Halfords spec, but handbuilt in USA then built to my own spec, which back then meant rigid forks and early V brakes, by sShockwave in Nottingham, not Halfords 😉 (I know what your saying though)
    Second Joe Murray being a top bloke, emailed Voodoo last year to ask about replacement frame stickers, got sent some free of charge with a lovely note, signed by Joe apologising that he didn’t have a full set and didnt know the exact paint code but was glad the bike was still going strong 🙂
    I owe a huge debt to Mr Murray, his bikes have given me nearly 18 years of huge fun, thought it was a brilliant article

(btw 2 sets of xtr trail pedals, both going fine, no bearing issues in either over last 12/15 months)

Northwind

iain1775 – Member

(I know what your saying though)

Which begs the question really, what was the point? 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

So my 93 kona with the “Joe Murray design” sticker is a bit misleading as he’d already left.

Also, never realised voodoo was so old.

sweaman2
    Free Member

The thing that is slightly weird (and I know it is just staging for photos) is that it looks like he is riding up porcupine rim. It is on riders right when you are descending….

haggis1978

I thought Joe Murray left Kona in ’94?

iain1775
    Free Member

Which begs the question really, what was the point?

Just showing off having one of the first and oldest Voodoos 😉
    Many people don’t realise how long they have been going and that they are a proper company not just some made for halfords thing

bur70n
    Free Member

He does seem to be a good chap, had some bar ends and a bottle cage with puncture kit built in, shame the bike they were on was pinched (Claud Butler Kylami) !!

The cage was the only thing I have ever won (MBUK mag comp in the mid 90’s) and now I don’t have it!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Joe Murray – STW Issue 77 – What a job!’ is closed to new replies.