Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Job Security – overthinking it?
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

So, I’ve started a new job. I will have completed my second week tomorrow. I’ve got the standard 3 month probationary and so far I am really enjoying it.

The problem is I have this horrible niggling feeling at the back of my mind that I’m only being kept on for a short time until the surge of work they are experiencing at the moment calms down. I’ve been taken on with one other and am really going a little OTT with my ‘I’m a grafter, hard worker, fast learner, get stuck in, super keen’ etc. I have no idea why I feel nervous or concerned but it’s bothering me more each day.

The company is small and has a small staff (The Director comes and says hello and has a chat with me every day). Would it be silly to mention my concern to him at this stage or, if I approached it correctly, would it demonstrate my dedication to the business and willingness to build a career with them thus aiding my long term prospects with them?

richmars

I think it’s normal to feel concerned about your job; that’s the way it is now. I’m not sure I’d mention my concerns to the boss, it may be taken (wrongly) as lacking commitment.
    My view is just do your best, and be confident in your ability to, if the worst happens, get another job.

footflaps

It takes 6 months to get your feet under the desk properly – new job nerves are perfectly normal!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The problem I think I have is that I have never worked for a private business before, let alone a small one. I’ve always worked in the public sector/education and it’s been a big transition for me.

footflaps

In small companies everything is flexible and roles evolve / change a lot – which is a huge bonus. I’ve been at the same place for about 13 years now and have never had the same role for more than a couple of years and never been on a project which lasted more than a year – which keeps it fresh and interesting. I couldn’t go back to just being a small cog in a large machine again.

As for new job nerves, my first boss said to me on my first day – ‘Don’t stress about the job, the interview was the stressful bit and you passed that, so you can relax a bit now’. He was a nice guy.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

That’s how I am trying, and failing, to look at it footflaps. They took on another guy 3 months ago and he has been promoted today (although he had direct CAD experience) so there is positive movement within the business.

During the interview the Director made a point to tell me they like to keep hold of people and they have staff members who have been with them for 10 years plus although they have on occasions moved to short term reduced working hours when business was slow.

I think I just need to relax and enjoy the fact I have got a job.

seavers
    Free Member

I think it’s quite natural to feel like this but the way things are right now companies don’t take people on lightly or on a whim. If they needed someone for the short term I bet there will be a freelance alternative.

The fact the director comes to have a chat is very good, why would he/she bother if they intended to get shot of you in a couple of months?

Just chill a bit, work hard and enjoy it. Your hard work and good work ethic will be noticed without you pushing it in their face. Small companies are good to work for sometimes and it might be that they want you to enjoy working there as much as you want to show them you want to.

To them you are an investment, and speaking to a friend who is a director recently, she told me about her worry of taking people on, it’s a huge responsibility to a good employer. Good luck with the new job by the way!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Good points seavers. In fact the more I think about it the more ridiculous my concerns seem.

In fact, in the job advert it emphasised the permanency of the position, the long term staff members etc. You’ve all collectively managed to ease my mind. Thanks.

slowmart
    Free Member

Keep on doing what you’re doing.

Good attitude and a great work ethic are not that common. If you’re enjoying your new role then even better as that will be picked up by your new colleagues who have probably been under pressure and short handed until your appearance with the other new starter.

Take the view that it’s a two way street and you get a good luck at the company and vice versa, if it works out then that’s fantastic. Life is too short to take something as a stop gap which has caught too many people in a rut unable or unwilling to move who end up bitter and twisted.

Good luck with your journey.

boltonjon

I directly manage 15 people and have taken 5 people on in the last 6 months. The company was until recently a family run company and is now expanding into a medium sized 100+ people organisation

New starters are always nervous – its human nature.

My advice is to ensure that the 30 day reviews are carried out and if there is any negativity in the report, question it and do everything in your power to exceed the targets set forth

If they give you two glowing 30 day reports and then decide your not suitable for the role at the 90 day review you’d have something to make getting rid of you difficult

Be yourself and prove what a great catch you are and they’ll love you

Kuco

really going a little OTT with my ‘I’m a grafter, hard worker, fast learner, get stuck in, super keen’ etc.

Were got 3 new starters, the young lad is okay and seems keen and willing to get stuck in, shame the other two older blokes aren’t like that other than the I’ve done this, I’ve done that, I’ve earnt this brigade.

As one bloke said to them “If your that **** good what are you doing here”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Job Security – overthinking it?’ is closed to new replies.