• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jonb.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Job Packages etc
  • sheldona
    Free Member

Got a meeting later to discuss a job package/salary etc??

Where do you start? Do I say what I want or ask him to tell me what he has in mind???
    Aby thoughts or tips??

TA

Smee
    Free Member

You find out what the salary is for that type of position, add a good few grand and take it from there. You should never go into negotiations passively.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I think it depends on to much. Are you salary or hourly wage, what demand there is for people in your profession, what you used to get, how many people they employ, how many people that are doing the same job as you at a similar level, your level of experience etc etc. it can't hurt to ask, I was offered a grad job at 22k a year, a car, holiday sick pay, pension blah blah blah, i said thanks very much but i would like a bigger salary. they obliged and i started on 24k a year.

richc
    Free Member

oh any don't lie if they ask you what you were on previously as your P45/P60 has the real figures on it.

Stoner
    Free Member

new job again?

good luck.

clubber
    Free Member

oh any don't lie if they ask you what you were on previously as your P45/P60 has the real figures on it.

Not really – all it tells them is what you earnt. So long as you're not only 1 or 2 months into a tax year, you can very easily claim that your salary was increased part way through the year so that the figures reflect a mix of old/'new' salary…

Besides, accounts would normally be the only people who see your P45, not your new boss.

sheldona
    Free Member

Those are the exact thoughts on my mind however where can you find with ease what a job is worth rather than trawl through loads of ads that offer a varied salary.

If he asks what I'm looking for I'll say what I'm on now (Already thought about the P45 etc!! but thanks) and add a couple of £K as he's been chasing me for this position for a while. Not a massive employer I beleive they have 5 staff. But I must remember he has come to me as he knows of me and has had good recommendations by his customers.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I have always asked them what amount they're thinking of. Once they've said a number, you can always say if you're not happy with that, relate it to your current salary, the hassle of a move, more responsibility etc. Last time I got £5K more than I was expecting which was nice.

Otherwise you end up having to go high but not too high, and you might underestimate how much they're willing to pay you. Obviously they might go low to start with, but it at least gives you a rough idea of what they're thinking.

Joe

Sam

Surely you need to be talking 6 figures Sheldon? 🙂 If they've come to you you're definitely in a position of strength. I'd start at 50% more than what you're on now. Unless the job is the same as your current one there's no reason the salary should be the same. Be sure you know what the scope of the role and it's responsibilities are and how that compares to what you do now. Added responsibility/accountability is the best way to make a case for increased salary when skills and basic job description are similar.

sheldona
    Free Member

I'd start at 50% more than what you're on now

Then I'll be able to add some Singulars to my shed!!

Was going to go in at 30% more than now but we still haven't discussed the perameters of the role fully so may go up may go down??

IHN

new job again?

Just goes to show, fluffing is a recession-proof trade 😉

sheldona
    Free Member

Don't knock it IHN, fluffing is where its at. 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

The only time I've done salary negotiation they gave a figure, I said I wanted more as I was just coming up for promotion at my old job (moving for personal reasons not job reasons). They gave me more and I was happy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Job Packages etc’ is closed to new replies.