Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Job interviews
  • mikey74
    Free Member

So how do you do them when working full time? Do you pull a sickie? The trouble is I am rarely off sick.

Your best excuses, please :mrgreen:

legend
    Free Member

Take a holiday

mikey74
    Free Member

I have no holiday left.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I’d ask if they would interview outside working hours, I have interviewed a few people like this for convenience.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I tend to book half days or just as holiday, if I had no time left I would fess up

km79
    Free Member

Doctors/hospital appointment, funeral, have to attend an emergency, use your imagination.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Migraine

legend
    Free Member

Say you’ve been arrested

Gary_M
    Free Member

Hoe many hours do you need for the interview? If it’s only 3 for example then hospital appointment for ‘tests’ would be the best excuse.

If you need the whole day then pull a sickie – take a couple of days to make it more convincing, upset stomach is the go to reason round here.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ve got an interview for another job so I won’t be around on …

leftyboy
    Free Member

I got made redundant so I was free to interview during my gardening leave. Otherwise it’s tricky, sickies aren’t ideal as they show up if you get the next job, i.e. when their HR team ask for a reference the number of days sick/instances are often asked and given.

finbar
    Free Member

Tell your boss, get the firm to pay for the train, and ideally organise a few other meetings in the office while you’re visiting. At least, that’s how it works in the Civil Service 😀

lunge

In order of preference:
    Early/late interview, even if it means you have to be 30 mins late it’s easy to explain away
    Take 1/2 days holiday
    Work from home as you have a plumber/electrician/whatever coming over. Gives you an excuse for not answering your phone too.
    Off site meeting with a client
    Dentist/doctor/hospital
    Sicky

I was interviewing recently and I used a combination of the first 3, the company were non the wiser.

FuzzyWuzzy

I guess pulling a sickie is the only option (how have you managed to use up your holiday allowance already, or is it not calendar year based)? We can also request unpaid leave but not sure if just for a day (and probably not a few of them).

ElShalimo

Just ask for a few hours off for a personal issue, then make up the time later in the week

epicyclo

wildc4rd – Member
    I’d ask if they would interview outside working hours, I have interviewed a few people like this for convenience.

Also not a bad way to signal your honesty/ethics.

Not that I wouldn’t have pulled a sickie if necessary. 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

As above – how long do you need? If it’s the other side of the country very different to just round the corner.

mikey74
    Free Member

It’s turns out the first one is a Skype interview, so I’m picking my brother up from the airport :mrgreen:

Duffer
    Free Member

How have you run out of leave in July? 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

10 day Uni field trip in May, 6 exams, holiday to Canada in August for a friend’s wedding.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Call in sick for having been knocked off you bike.

Go to interview.

Suck it up, think of the future, and ride your least favourite bike into a tree. Hard – it has to look good.

Cougar

I tend to book half days or just as holiday, if I had no time left I would fess up

Just ask for a few hours off for a personal issue, then make up the time later in the week

‘s what I’d do.

Unless the reason you’re leaving is because you work for a set of bastards, I don’t know why you’d be shy about disclosing that you’re going for an interview. It might give them a reason to try to want to keep you.

At our place you can buy leave if you’ve run out (up to five days, basically unpaid leave).

finephilly
    Free Member

Yea, I wanted to leave a job cos they wouldn’t make me permanent. I told my boss that I was looking elsewhere and he gave me a contract the following week.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Job interviews’ is closed to new replies.