Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Job interview tomorrow – tips?
  • ourmaninthenorth

The weaknesses question really does sort the men from the bull sh$tters, and their is a distinct whif to some of the suggestions so far.

What you trying to say…? 😀

I am impatient, and get annoyed easily when things are held up but this isn't really what an employer wants to hear is it?

Don't get too bothered about this – just be mindful of using the word "intolerant", as that makes you sound like you're not a team player. Tell them the truth – you are impartient – but tell them what you have done to work this to your (and everyone else's) advantage.

geoffj

Tell them the truth – you are impartient – but tell them what you have done to work this to your (and everyone else's) advantage.

Exactly! If only I could have put it so simply 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I.e – i'm impatient but have tried to work this to everyone's advantage by finding out exactly what the problem is and whether i can speed up/help move the delay along, especially in regards to other depts?

geoffj

I.e – i'm impatient but have tried to work this to everyone's advantage by finding out exactly what the problem is and whether i can speed up/help move the delay along, especially in regards to other depts?

Excellent!

hilldodger
    Free Member

My 'back to basics' interview tip is that if you've been offered an interview then the company think you are 'up for the job' and the interview is primarily a chance for them to assess your character and how you would fit in with their current workforce/management.

The HR BS questions may well come up, but they are often just an opportunity to see how you react, give simple answers that you feel happy with, and don't be afraid of adopting a conversational tone, if there's no immediate response to an answer ask if they want more detail

Good luck…..

MrNutt
    Free Member
    duckman

Captainflash; If it makes you feel better, while he was round at yours, I was "visiting" the Baronial pile.

alfagtv1969
    Free Member

1. Smile make lots of eye contact, firm handshakes
    2. Explain why you can help them more than the other candidates
    3. Value your contribution eg " at my last company I did yadda yadda which earnt the company x amount in sales and profit"

Next time read "How to get your dream job" by Jeffrey Fox, it works!!!!

earl_brutus

firm handshake, smart suit, eye contact, ask lots of questions

singletrackhor
    Free Member
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

What a strange interview.

Manager took me around the plant, explaining every dept. and the production systems etc.
    Then took me to the office to tell me what the hourly rate/shift patterns/holidays etc. were.

Didn't actually ask me anything, most strange…

midlifecrashes

But have you got the job????

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don't know yet – was told if picked i would be up for a more formal 2nd interview & a medical.

midlifecrashes

Yep, a bit odd then. Fingers crossed.

ex-pat
    Free Member

1. Turn up, a few minutes early, if you're over 5 early then wait offsite.

2. Accept a drink, but only water – have had interviewees who don't then you watch as their mouth gets dryer and dryer. Very amusing….

3. Be honest. It's pretty obvious when someone isn't.

4. Give examples where they ask about experience.

5. In those examples, say I and me, not we and us. We sounds like someone else did it (we'll hire them thanks!).

6. Don't be afraid to decide you don't want the job, it may have been mis-represented by the agent etc. Quite common.

7. Comedy is great, but only if initiated by interviewer, and then only at Gran level.

8. If you're super nervous, take a prop, notepad or similar. You can hide behind it as they do the greet before you get into it. Seriously, having something in your hands will help…

9. Enjoy it – you could be spending more time with these folk than with the GF/Wife/Mag so you need to know you can get on with them.

10. If it goes well, don't be shy about asking to see more of the offices etc. Enthusiasm is great to see.

11. On asking one manager why I was hired instead of a technical person, they pointed out that technical skills can be trained, attitude can't – so have a good attitude and be positive, and even if your skills aren't complete they'll think favorably of you.

Good luck!

user-removed
    Free Member

Smile and lean forward. Smile a lot. Nod a lot. Positive, positive, positive. Keep your hands where the interviewer can see them. Hidden hands suggest the interviewee has something to hide.

mboy
    Free Member

1. Turn up, a few minutes early, if you're over 5 early then wait offsite.

2. Accept a drink, but only water – have had interviewees who don't then you watch as their mouth gets dryer and dryer. Very amusing….

3. Be honest. It's pretty obvious when someone isn't.

4. Give examples where they ask about experience.

5. In those examples, say I and me, not we and us. We sounds like someone else did it (we'll hire them thanks!).

6. Don't be afraid to decide you don't want the job, it may have been mis-represented by the agent etc. Quite common.

7. Comedy is great, but only if initiated by interviewer, and then only at Gran level.

8. If you're super nervous, take a prop, notepad or similar. You can hide behind it as they do the greet before you get into it. Seriously, having something in your hands will help…

9. Enjoy it – you could be spending more time with these folk than with the GF/Wife/Mag so you need to know you can get on with them.

10. If it goes well, don't be shy about asking to see more of the offices etc. Enthusiasm is great to see.

11. On asking one manager why I was hired instead of a technical person, they pointed out that technical skills can be trained, attitude can't – so have a good attitude and be positive, and even if your skills aren't complete they'll think favorably of you.

12. Don't go into the interview needing a turd… SERIOUSLY! I turned up for my last interview with the pangs just starting, but I only got there with 2 minutes to spare so had no time… 2 hours later and my gut was about to explode! Not good… I've still been invited back for a 2nd interview mind! 😕

Got myself another interview this coming Tuesday too… Little known firm, seems to be famous at squandering taxpayers money now that the public owns 70% of it… Figure seeing as I'm a shareholder these days I might as well get a return on my investment! 😉

mogrim

What a strange interview.

Manager took me around the plant, explaining every dept. and the production systems etc.
    Then took me to the office to tell me what the hourly rate/shift patterns/holidays etc. were.

Didn't actually ask me anything, most strange…

Sounds like an excellent interview tactic: he shows you around, nice informal setting to keep you at ease, it should be immediately clear from your conversation whether or not you know what you're talking about, and he gets to size you up – your attitude, personality, etc.

The only problem with the tactic is the amount of time it takes.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Job interview tomorrow – tips?’ is closed to new replies.