Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Job interview tomorrow – tips?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ok, i have an interview for a local engineering firm tomorrow.
    The job is (trainee) CNC Operator which is broadly similar to waht i was doing in my last job, although the systems/machines will be very different.
    Not much about the Co on the 'net but i do know about them from local sources and from doing sub-contract work for them with my previous employer.

How to swing the job given it's nearly 20yrs since my last job interview?

uplink
    Free Member

How to swing the job given it's nearly 20yrs since my last job interview?

Something like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg91xQ-OM9w

good luck, no – seriously good luck 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It's (trainee) because i'll need to get up to speed on their systems & machines, it's milling rather than routing which was what i was doing before.

Nervous now!

ourmaninthenorth

Assuming you have answers to all the obvious questions (why us, etc.), then I would:

1. make sure you never talk for lomger than the time it takes for a match to burn.

2. Be open and honest.

3. Have a decent answer to quarions about your strengths and your weaknesses.

4. Come across as enthusiatistic and willing to learn.

And the very best of British. 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ok, what questions am i likely to be asked?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

What qualities do you think you you can bring to this role?

What are your weaknesses?

Crap like that.

duckman

Have you seen the pepsi max advert…..The above are spot on, also guff about being able to work as part of a team, good organisational skills.

Flaperon

Might not be as bad as you think. The interview for my dad's pattern making factory basically consisted of figuring out how to open the door while the secretaries watched and giggled from behind the blind.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Qualities – 23yrs experience in CNC maching, with the ability to turn around orders in a short order window. Have de-facto run a small dept. for several years reporting to the Works Manager.

Weaknesses – intolerance for delays, i expect people to deliver when they promise to do so.

mt
    Free Member

As an employer of people in the engineering industry I look for the following:
    Try to relax and be yourself. Ask questions that let them know you are interested in the Job, product and their company. Being nervous is fine, if they are half decent they will allow for this. If you are already skilled in one area that is related that is a positive and you should let them see it as that. If you have years of experiance then this is a massive advantage and lots of companies are desperate for this alone.

All the very best to you.

midlifecrashes

A well organised (so you can find your example/evidence without faffing) portfolio goes down well if you can reference skills and experience against photos, drawings etc. Good to keep records of previous training/quals in too. Good Luck.

mt
    Free Member

Forgot two things. Listen and don't bullsh1t.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Be yourself!

Good luck!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wear latex.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

MT – can you give examples please? I'm really nervous about this!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wear latex.

Bunnyhop

No advice here. Only can wish you luck.
    Let us know the outcome.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Don't really have a portfolio as such, started the job aged 19 & finished aged 42!
    No actual quals, just lots of time & experience working in a small sub-contract machine shop.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Don't ask the interviewer if you can shag his wife. I didn't, I got the job, then shagged his wife anyway. Hope he doesn't read ST forums.

mcboo
    Free Member

Ask the first question……if you cant, ask the second one. Make it as conversational as possible that way. Nothing worse than sitting there waiting on question after question. Do that and it will fly by, probably put the interviewer at ease too.

Smile, be nice. People hire people they want to work with, that they like.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lord Felcham the III, could you just step in to my office for a moment…..

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Let me just put my trousers back on boss, by the way, it's egg 'n' chips tonight…

Jenga
    Free Member

Weaknesses – intolerance for delays, i expect people to deliver when they promise to do so.

Don't say anything like that.

Try something like:-

"My main weakness is perceived by many to be a strength, in that I try and always deliver when I promise, and (perhaps niavely)I expect others to do the same."

Turn your perceived weakness into a strength that the company would like to see.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'd just reply "cake" if anyone asked me what my weaknesses were in a job interview. Can't believe they'd ask that sort of shite question for an engineering type job but I guess you never know.

uplink
    Free Member

"My main weakness is perceived by many to be a strength, in that I try and always deliver when I promise, and (perhaps niavely)I expect others to do the same."

I'd probably be sick if someone came out with that at an interview

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Good point Jenga – can always be worded better!

I know i have the skills, just not sure they will be transferable to the new job. Nervous as **** now….

Jenga
    Free Member

I'd probably be sick if someone came out with that at an interview

I used something very similar in my last job interview, and it went down so well that I got the job.

uplink
    Free Member

and it went down so well that I got the job.

Well at least I know it's not at our place 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Guage this language carefully. A more rounded answer might be:

I set high standards for myself and I like to deliver what I say I am going to and when I say I am going to. I tend to assume that others will also do this, and so sometimes can find myself frustrated if, for whatever reason, this does not happen. However, I appreciate that in making my own commitments to deliver, I need to ensure that i take into account any variation in others' ability to do their bit and, at the same time, ensure that I actively monitor my and others' delivery. This means I am able to manage expectations all round.

See, looks like a load of bullsh*t, but actually says: Listen, I could be impatient, but I've used it to everyone's advantage to make sure we all know what's going on.

backhander
    Free Member

Don't lie (that's what your CV is for).
    Be yourself (they'll find you out sooner or later).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

This is the place :-

geoffj

The weaknesses question really does sort the men from the bull sh$tters, and their is a distinct whif to some of the suggestions so far.

We all have weaknesses, the trick is to show that you have acknowledged a real one and done something about it.

e.g. "I used to struggle and not enjoy writing reports. Following discussion with my line manager, I went on a series of courses / did a night class to help me improve. Its no longer a problem and a part of the job I actually quite enjoy now"

Good luck.

lowey

Cant offer any advise mate, as I have been in the same job for 18 years. But, wish you the best of luck for it.

I would have thought the the best advise as above is just be yourself. Most people can smell bullshit a mile off.

mt
    Free Member

"Qualities – 23yrs experience in CNC maching, with the ability to turn around orders in a short order window. Have de-facto run a small dept. for several years reporting to the Works Manager.

Weaknesses – intolerance for delays, i expect people to deliver when they promise to do so"

Muddy, all of the above would be seen at our company as a strength. Being able to get product out when the customers need it is good. Working unsupervised and reporting into your line manager all good stuff.
    Being intolerant of delays is not a weakness (as long as you don't murder those responsible), it shows that you are trying to get things done. Expecting people to do what they say is also a good as long as you are flexible enough to understand that things some times go wrong.

What is most important to successful companies is that they give good service, quality product, do things when they say they will and have employees who believe that to be the case (can be difficult this). I always grab anyone who has this attitude as they can learn the works skill as they go along but having a helpful attitude to work mates and customer that priceless!

Really hope that does not come across trite(?). Again try and relax and be yourself and tell them what you can do. You sound like you have the skills so go for it.

ElNino
    Free Member

They realise you have not been to interview for nearly 20 years, nervousness is to be expected. It also shows loyalty.

You have 20 years experience of working in a machine shop delivering quality components on time and working with the higher levels of management. Your knowledge of the sub contract work should help, you understand the required turn around times and quality levels they are looking for and the customers they have.

Knowing what you are talking about will show through. Don't worry and good luck!

geoffj

Weaknesses – intolerance for delays,

Not wanting to flog this too hard, but do people actually believe that this is a credible answer?

Its about one step from the "I'm a perfectionist and struggle when other people aren't as good as me" twaddle.

🙄

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Must admit, the whole 'tell me your weaknesses' thing is something i struggle with. I am impatient, and get annoyed easily when things are held up but this isn't really what an employer wants to hear is it?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

No advice…but I really do wish you loads of luck tomorrow md! 8)

geoffj

I am impatient, and get annoyed easily when things are held up

Nothing at all wrong with stating that as long as you qualify it with by stating that you understand that delays can happen and you have learned to deal with it. That then tees up a question about making sure that you have good communication channels with the other parts of the business that are causing and also suffering from the delays.

Good luck.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ok, what questions am i likely to be asked?

They will probably ask why you've been out of work for a while. I know you were looking at cycle training for a long time trying to make it viable but couldn't. Explaining your efforts on that score might work well.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the new equipment etc, I've had people come into my department and work with unfamiliar test gear very quickly. It's just the unfamiliarity that can be daunting, but be confident that you can do it.

Good Luck!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Job interview tomorrow – tips?’ is closed to new replies.