• This topic has 92 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by juan.
Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • job interview, fashion conundrum.
  • DrJ

a white shirt with a pattern of some sort.

My eyes! My eyes!

big-chief-96
    Free Member

stop being such a girl…. 🙄

black trouser, black shoes, white shirt and maybe a tie.

simples

DrJ

As I say, it's IT, what you can do is a million times more important than what you look like.

Like most jobs, then.

Pieface

I used to be firmly of the 'Never brown shoes with black' disuasion… however a stylish Barcelonian made me think otherwise.

Obviously the style and colour go a long way but I no longer see it as a 'rule'.

hora
    Free Member

a white shirt with a pattern of some sort.

Ben Sherman with a Burtons tie?

Pieface

And just wear a suit. Even though its IT and all the prejudice that goes with it, you have no idea how that department works. IT teams can range from the 'IT crowd' to very smart teams where a suit must be worn at all times.

Even if their day to day dress code is 'casual' I'd expect an interviewee to wear a suit to the interview.

theotherjonv

I'm not talking Paisley patterns, you buffoons. An understated stripe, or a check, maybe

trail_rat
    Free Member

irrespective of job i always wore a suit to the interview

remembered for being overdressed than underdressed

Edric64
    Free Member

Never wear a patterned tie with a pattered shirt it looks terrible.Always wear a proper Windsor knot not the crooked school boy effort above

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I interview for jobs, don't expect my staff to wear suits to work and have a pretty informal dress code. But turning up for an interview sans suit is a definite -1. the last 2 or 3 posts have been close run and wearing/not wearing a suit could easily be a deciding factor. It's up to you to decide whether you think that the job is worth making the effort for and whether you think it's important for you to let your potential employers think you're prepared to make an effort to impress them.

hora
    Free Member

theotherjonv

arghh my eyes!!! Do you work in a office supplies company?!!! 😆

I bet you wear jeans with those combinations!

Tip from me. Wear a neutral suit, plain shirt and understated but classy tie. Unsure of what a classy tie is? Pop into House of Fraser, Zara or Selfridges.

I will say this- if you wear the above the interviewer will mentally tick a boss in the first 5secs 'smart' then spend the rest of the meeting focusing on you. Only if he/she is BORED will their attention stray to your attire in detail.

Basically, the conversation is so involved they are focusing on your eyes and the two-way conversation that everything else is a blur anyway.

Wear something goofish or individual and you do risk them focusing on your dress and then forming a personal-opinion/bias.

So, a reasonably high quality Black suit THAT FITS YOU, pale blue shirt and subdued patterned tie works.

hora
    Free Member

Going against the above though…..

I had a 60k candidate who went for a Purchasing Manager job wearing a bow-tie. He got it. **** knows how, it was bizarre!

He was a highly talented 'character'.

juan
    Free Member

Go for blue to match your eyes.

Yeah that will work, specially since they are brown.

Never wear a patterned tie with a pattered shirt it looks terrible.Always wear a proper Windsor knot not the crooked school boy effort above

Blush in shame… I don't own a tie, neither do I know how to make the tie…
    I'll pass on the suit to be honest as I can't cope with thinking every one will be looking at me thinking oh look he has a suit but he makes him look like a monkey. Plus I don't have the cash for a 400€ suit nor the time to have one cut.

I don't think people will bother too much as it's an academic job. Job description isn't full IT too, its computer science (basically doing some comp chem/mod mol while fixing everyone else computer when not working).

Plus I am not going to the south of France I am already there. So plenty of you may be right about the suit, but I'll take samuri's advice that I'd better be less smart and less sweaty. I'll let you know how things work out…

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘job interview, fashion conundrum.’ is closed to new replies.