Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Jimmy Hill
  • konabunny
    Free Member

Is there no Jimmy Hill thread? He died today.

I never had much interest in his pure footballing career but I thought his role in standing up for workers and breaking the club owners’ salary cap was admirable.

How did his name come to be slang for “I don’t believe you”?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/19/jimmy-hill-dies-aged-87-fulham-alzheimers

MrOvershoot

I’m not a follower of football but I was surprised there was no early thread on Mr Chinney Recon

Russell96

The clubs were screwing a lot of people, look at the published crowd stats for matches vs pictures of the grounds for those same games, people jammed in but somehow low crowd figures and of course plus low wages for all the staff incl the players.

Have to say working on the 3 points for a win made a huge difference but he is credited with so much more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Hill

MoreCashThanDash

You forgot what a difference he made to the game, having served in so many roles.

A remarkable man, who had a long and full life. RIP

allthepies
    Free Member

A football man through and through. RIP Jimmy.

spacemonkey

Yep, we used to take the piss out of him as kids but that was of course before we realised what he had actually achieved in the game.

RIP Jimmy

ourmaninthenorth

RIP Jimmy Hill.

Incredible amount of change he brought to the game.

And OMITN Snr won’t be happy – as a youngster he watched JH play at Fulham (last time they were any good)

mrkstvnz
    Free Member

RIP…. He was a very intelligent football man. As well as a proper bloke apparently. God bless, and thoughts with his family

binners

In an age when the word ‘legend’ is overused, he is one. I bloody love footy. And you can look at the modern game, for its joys and its faults, and it wouldn’t resemble anything it does without this man. It’d look completely different

I just hope the players on their enormous salaries know they owe it all to him. And a lot more besides

RIP Jimmy

konabunny
    Free Member

Why was a 3 point win such a big deal? I don’t understand.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Jimmy Hill is dead?

donald
    Free Member

My sympathy to his friends and family.

That was never a toe-poke though.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Jimmy Hill mate, Jimmy Hill (while scratching chin).

I never really understood why we did that as kids, but we all did.

theotherjonv

Why was a 3 point win such a big deal? I don’t understand.

Made the difference between a win, which was worth 2 pts and a draw (1 point) more substantial, as a result instead of settling for draws (particularly late on in games) sides are more incentivised to go for a win and risk losing than play out a draw. Especially when both sides used to be happy with a draw….. you’d often see the last 15 mins of games with both sides barely crossing the halfway line.

theotherjonv

Oh, and

How did his name come to be slang for “I don’t believe you”?

I think chin scratching has always been a sign of scepticism or deep thought (eg: as later captured by Vic and Bob’s ‘The Ponderers’)

So then Jimmy’s chin was a follow to that rather than creating the meme.

voodoo_chile

Took Coventry from 3rd to 1st division very quickly ,changed the culture at the club ,made a simple change of club training at 3 pm to coincide with the kick off times ..simple but effective …introduced the electronic scoreboard

trademark
    Free Member

He was also a cheat

I was at the Sunderland game with my granddad, too young to understand football, and remember the adults going mad when they realized that Hill had nobbled the game.

Sympathies to his family, though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

RIP. Being 50+ he was a part of my childhood, he simply was the face of football. It’s funny now how beards are in, he was anead of his time 🙂 I’ll never forget him pulling on those baggy tracksuit bottoms and running the line when the ref got injured.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Jimmy Hill’ is closed to new replies.