Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Jigsaw guide. What's hot & what's not?
  • captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I need to earn some man points by building something and the jigsaw gets a dusting (not a euphamism).
    I need to cut straight lines (8-900mm) down some plywood and am looking for some guides and don’t know what’s good.
    Ebay has some clamp guides but I can’t tell whether they’re good or not.
    Any recommendations?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Buy a cheap circular saw.

Jigsaws are bastards

nickjb
    Free Member

A piece of wood and a couple of g clamps should do it. Better with a circular saw though. Another option is to buy the wood in b&q and get them to cut it on their big saw. Dead straight.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Buy a cheap circular saw.

Probably ain’t going to do the 70mm cut that I want or do the curvy bit either.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Circular saw would be a better bet for a straight line. Failing that, can you not just clamp/screw a straight edge on to your waste side? Best bet would be to measure from the edge of your jigsaw baseplate, to the edge of the blade, then clamp a straight edge that distance from your cut line.

Beware, a jigsaw may still try and wander.

There will be plenty of videos on YouTube showing you what to do if you search there I reckon.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You’ve changed the brief!

I’d still get one for the straight bits.

How many cuts? If its only a few I’d probably reach for the hand saw.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Failing that, can you not just clamp/screw a straight edge on to your waste side?

It’s cutting a “U” shape out of the ply so an edge to stop it wandering out is all I’m after. If I have to sand or chisel out anything from the hole side (the inside of the U, isn’t a problem. B&Q can’t do anything as they can only cut straight, I’ve asked them. And based on experience their cuts aren’t all that straight either.
    Long, straight piece of wood and a couple of G clamps sounds like the best bet.

EDIT.

You’ve changed the brief!

And you offered an answer that wasn’t in the question. 😆

allthegear
    Free Member

Jigsaw? What’s hot and what’s not?

Gutted – I thought you were talking about Jigsaw!

http://mobile.jigsaw-online.com/products/v-neck-lace-dress-11158

Really, really, really want this dress….

Rachel

scruff9252

Circular saw combined with a 70mm hole saw. Should be able to get it spot on that way.

slackalice
    Free Member

@atg Nice frock. I think the model helps to show it to its best.

You do realise you could get an uppy downy post for that sort of money? Or brakes.

dawson

/STW is slipping..

Was expecting at least one reply about a 5000 piece picture of Big Ben by now…

😉

huckersneck
    Free Member

dawson, will this do?

wwaswas

Problem I’ve always had with jigsaws in anythign other than thin ply and mdf is not cutting a straight line, it’s cutting a vertical one – the blades tend to wander from the vertical a bit as they flex so to get the cut vertical you end up running a router along the line afterwards to tidy it up.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Jigsaw guide. What's hot & what's not?’ is closed to new replies.