Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Jetboil
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

I think we’ve now established that there are more efficient gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil. There are lighter gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil, there are cheaper gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil and there are more compact gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil – and that’s before considering alternative fuels which each have their pros and cons.

Replace Jetboil with Wood Burner/Fatbike/T5/Octavia Scout/Macbook/whatever and that’s basically every argument on here ever.

epicyclo

I think I’ll stick to the Jetboil.

It’s much better than what I used to use

I still haven’t forgotten the stink of fuel in my food and clothes when camping with one.

Spin
    Free Member

But the Alpkit one is well designed and less dosh than the Jetboil.

It’s as slow as a week in the jail though especially once you get halfway down a canister.

BadlyWiredDog

So the best all rounder is

It depends what your priorities are. How much weight matters to you. Ditto size. Convenience. Fuel availability. Performance in windy conditions. How low temperatures are. Possibly performance at altitude. What you’re intending to cook. Whether you’re a gramme-obsessed, twig-burning weight weenie.

Some sort of lightweight, remote canister gas stove with a folding foil windshield and a light-ish pan or two works okay in most situations, a lighter canister-top burner is lighter but less stable particularly if you’re cooking for two people – if you share a stove between two or more, which no-one seems to have mentioned you effectively save weight that way too.

If you’re off somewhere high altitude and remote with dubious fuel availability – Bolivia for example – a multi-fuel thing like an MSR XGK or similar works nicely, makes really good noises and saves you trying to source threaded gas canisters, also a pain if you’re flying anywhere generally …

And then there’s burning gas at very low temperatures where ideally you want both a special gas mix and an invertible cartridge set-up, probably.

Meths is bobbins at altitude btw and generally slow. I don’t think there’s a right answer. Personally I’ve always got on well with MSR and Primus stuff, but you’re not going to find anything that ticks all the STW boxes in a single package ime anyway.

epicsteve
    Free Member

So the best all rounder is

I’ve got loads of stoves but if I had to keep just one it’d be the Pocket Rocket as it’s much faster than any of meths stove I’ve used and more versatile than a Jetboil.

I probably use the Jetboil more than any other though.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Jetboil’ is closed to new replies.