Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • jeremy vine radio 2. Who cycle commutes the furthest.
  • ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I used to average 16 mph into central London.
    I did 16 miles each way until May and niw its only 5 miles so i up the return trip to get 20-25 a day.
    I used to ride into Edinburgh 25 miles each way but found it tough and only did it 2 or 3 times a week.

stcolin
    Free Member

4.5 miles each way, generally flat, geared MTB with semi-slicks. Everyday, no matter what the weather.

zippykona

In reply to nealglover.The bit I heard was “so you average 20mph” and the man answered yes. If I did 16 I was happy. I can’t imagine a motorbike would average much more than 20.

ackie
    Free Member

My next job is in west london, so with a slight detour via highgate/swains lane and hampstead I should be on 17miles each way. Boom!
    170 miles per week!
    And it will be quicker than public transport and will obviously justify building up a new ‘winter bike’.

grahamg
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d qualify – IMO, it doesn’t count unless you do it 4 or 5 days a week. I have about 23 miles each way, but with around 500m of climbing (each way!) can’t bring myself to do it more than 3 times a week in winter and probably won’t be more than twice in summer when I’ll be saving energy for racing/recreational riding!

nealglover
    Free Member

In reply to nealglover.The bit I heard was “so you average 20mph” and the man answered yes.

He did yes.
    But as above, it wasn’t in “central London” as such, and it was on a Sunday just before Christmas to test the route. (He doesn’t actually do it as a commute yet)

Its still impressive, but it won’t be the same doing it in the rush hour during the week obviously.

ackie
    Free Member

Due to a young family, I don’t ever seem to be able to get out on a recreational ride. My commute is all the cycling i get to do at the moment. With Strava making more fun trying to beat my PB up Swains lane 😉

mogrim

About 10 miles, but with 300m of climbing on the way home. (Funnily enough, I take a lot less in the morning…)

Try and do it at least 3 times / week.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Me too, ackie. Even the bit about Swain’s Lane!

zippykona

Apologies NG didn’t hear that bit.

ackie
    Free Member

Ha! What’s your PB flatboy?

theflatboy
    Free Member

probably atrocious, as i seem to be getting less fit and do it on my commuting-laden singlespeed!

there are about 10 different segments for the climb, though – tell me which one we’re talking about and i’ll find my time!

sangobegger
    Free Member

Did 16 miles home two or three times a week. Late finish at 11pm meant a quiet run home mostly on segregated cycle paths. Rode in any old weather, and even here in the highlands the dreaded rain only hit you a handful of times over the winter. Had to get the wife to rescue me last Feb though, when a flash frost left the roads impossible to walk on in cleats never mind cycle on. Car drivers driving at full tilt on iced up roads were not to be trifled with either. Always amazed at people’s reactions to such a “monster” commute – no wonder there are so many fat b@”:stds out here.

ackie
    Free Member

This one
    I managed 2’02” in the summer.
    Nowhere near that now 🙁

theflatboy
    Free Member

hmmm – 2:32 😳

think i might have to get some more miles in!

ackie
    Free Member

Waves Willy 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

understandably! you appear to be in the top 50s – i’m nearer to 250! 😆

winterfold
    Free Member

“One guy said he “had done it in 1.5 hours” for 29 mile commute, mostly outside of central London. But he had only done it once to test the route and be did it the Sunday before Christmas. ” 😆

While riding in a bunch, drafting an army convoy, with tribars, following wind etc

If you are riding into London, through RP, down Castlenau etc then 25-27 kmh 15-17 mph is doable total dist/total time kind of avg.

I wouldnt plan a meeting round it though, nor ride like that all week.

Back to work tomorrow, cant say the thought of it fills me with joy, although Parliament Sq in the dark is a thing of beauty. For those with families and lives it is a good way of getting the miles in.

Also – if you’re self-employed dont forget its 20p/mile 😀

MaryHinge
    Free Member

50 mile round trip with 640m of climbing. 370m on the way home just to add to the fatigue!

50% on road/50% off road, fully laden with panniers etc.

Normally do it once a week winter/summer/rain/shine.

Will be trying to do it twice a week as part of my triathlon training at various points throughout 2013 depending on when races are etc.

Also planning to catch the train in and run home once or twice through the summer for marathon training.

First ride in tomorrow 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘jeremy vine radio 2. Who cycle commutes the furthest.’ is closed to new replies.