Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Jeremy Clarkson likes cycling!
  • awh
    Free Member

Jeremy Clarkson joins Twitter and praises cycling Let the discussion commence…. Play nicely everyone!

yunki
    Free Member

anyone want to buy a small well used collection of bikes..? I’m taking up knitting instead.. 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

Most of Clarkson’s vitriol is purely to fit the persona he has created to be a Top Gear presenter/newspaper columnist.

I am sure he is a very nice man in real life.

kimbers

he goes horse riding with david cameron and rebekah brooks

and if you judge a man by the company he keeps then hes a ****

LeeW

Surely this has to signify some great cosmic change?

wrecker
    Free Member

i agree with Jamie.
    Copenhagen sounds nice, eh?

prezet
    Free Member

He likes letching at pretty girls on bikes (which lets face it most of us do)… *shocker*

Although he does make a fair point about cities needing to choose between the car and bike.

bigjim

Reads well, not sure what the issue is, pretty much what that Times cycling campaign article was really isn’t it? Pretty sure it even used Copenhagen as an example and said the same thing about the different approach cyclists use compared to London etc.

butcher

Clarkson likes to take the wee and wind people up. Doesn’t matter whether they’re mexicans, protestors, cyclists, or Audi drivers. A pinch of salt should be taken with each serving.

bigyinn
    Free Member

His tweet seems reasonable and well balanced. And as usual he’s right!

smiff
    Free Member

yeah read that last night (his Sunday Times In Gear bit), was pretty surprised how pro-cycling it sounded too. Clarkson, though pretty funny most of the time, is kind of a professional troll. so this winds up some of his fans, and next month he’ll probably hate cyclists again.

also not sure cities can’t work with bikes and cars, not sure that’s helpful. London is a particular problem because of the all the narrow old streets.. Top Gear themselves found a bike quicker a few years ago remember that?

D0NK

is kind of a professional troll

Yeah his “views” probably aren’t actually, so don’t waste your ire, however being a professional troll is certainly worthy of scorn.

<edit> and what kimbers said.

fasthaggis

“In Britain cycling is a political statement. You have a camera on your helmet so that motorists who carve you up can be pilloried on YouTube. You have shorts. You have a beard and an attitude. You wear a uniform. Cycling has become the outdoorsy wing of the NUM and CND.

🙄

feenster
    Free Member

While I am highly suspicious of him and his agenda, I find myself agreeing with him quite a lot; it’s a pretty realistic assessment of what is going on, and refreshing to hear how taken he was with what life could be like if the city fathers decide to go with the bicycle. I don’t think anybody is really happy with the status quo in the uk for driving/public transport/cycling, and if JC is saying this sort of thing, it could be that there is a change in attitude afoot, hopefully people will start to realise how pleasant our towns and cities could be for EVERYONE if we tipped the balance in favour of the bicycle.

MSP

London is a particular problem because of the all the narrow old streets

The only thing that differentiates London from any other major european city is the lack of a decent transport plan.

I wish people could get over the idea that there is something especially difficult in their locality that prevents change (or that their local mud grinds away brake pads like nowhere else).

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Theres plenty of space, its stuff like this
    http://cyclelondoncity.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/object-to-new-blackfriars-bridge-scheme.html
    thats at least part of the problem. You need to set off from a standing start, out accelerate the motor traffic, then cross 3 lanes of traffic in a 30mph limit to turn right.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah actually i take that bit back. most of london could be fine for bikes with the right policy, and this applies to many UK cities. what about bike/pedestrian only streets though? i can see that being as popular as congestion charging. the barclays rental thing seems to have worked great despite all this which probably surprised lots of people (still no fatal accidents so far?)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

and amsterdam is not?

prezet
    Free Member

Amsterdam has much, much wider streets than London – I just went there this weekend, and it’s carnage.

Bicycles, trams, pedestrians, cars… mental. I don’t think it works particularly well.

wallop

His wife is a full on roadie.

miketually
    Free Member

what about bike/pedestrian only streets though? i can see that being as popular as congestion charging.

Ever been to Newcastle? When Northumberland Street was pedestrianised there was an outcry (it was formerly part of the A1). Now it’s the second most expensive place to rent a shop outside of London and everyone wants to be there.

rootes1

whilst copenhagen and amsterdam are always highlighted just can’t think that their dynamics are quite different to London especially in relation to the amount of people flowing into and out of London..

that said they could do a lot more in London…

also in London I generally find there is always a quiet(er) route that runs parallel to the main routes..

crazy-legs

He’s right though.

That Times #safecities campaign did some good work but in amongst it were a load of articles about what you “needed” to go cycling – helmet, lights, high vis, specific clothing blah blah.

Now that just puts people off, it’s a barrier to riding a bike. Oh I need to buy x/y/z, I’d get helmet hair, I don’t want to wear lycra, I’ll get all sweaty etc.
    But the attitude and acceptance of bike in Copenhagen is just that everyone rides at pootle pace. Practical bikes with racks, mudgaurds, chainguard and basket and everyone pottering along happily. Try “pottering along happily” in London and you’ll get squashed by a cab trying to do 35mph.

My riding style in cities is to match the traffic speed. That means 20+ mph, sprints and attitude – being assertive, being seen. That means lycra, lights, helmet, kit for riding fast
    Over there, the traffic is either completely separate or it’s conditioned to deal with cyclists, or it’s banned altogether hence anyone can potter round, no lycra needed.

Has anyone here tried the Boris Bikes? I love them but you have to re-learn you’re riding. Don’t try and go fats cos it’s unrewarding and you turn into a sweaty mess. Potter along though (if you can find somewhere quiet) and it’s a really nice way of getting around.

rootes1

Has anyone here tried the Boris Bikes? I love them but you have to re-learn you’re riding. Don’t try and go fats cos it’s unrewarding and you turn into a sweaty mess. Potter along though (if you can find somewhere quiet) and it’s a really nice way of getting around.

Boris Bike – get up to speed then coast for as long as possible… christ they are low geared..

MSP

But the attitude and acceptance of bike in Copenhagen is just that everyone rides at pootle pace. Practical bikes with racks, mudgaurds, chainguard and basket and everyone pottering along happily. Try “pottering along happily” in London and you’ll get squashed by a cab trying to do 35mph.

You know Copenhagen didn’t just become a cycle friendly city overnight, Denmark, The Netherlands and Germany started the urban planning process and building cycle paths and networks in the 70’s to get where they are now,

The UK made a big mistake in the 80’s when it privatised public transport, it also ended control over transport planning at the same time, its been a known issue for a long time, but it’s not a quick fix issue, its going to take my than a couple of election cycles to even get started sorting out the mess, so no party is interested.

It’s also about linking up transport, around here (Darmstadt, Germany) there are cycle racks at every trams stop, train stations and schools have places for hundreds of bikes. Rail stations, bus stations and tram terminus are all together to form transport hubs, they have a full transport plan that includes cycling.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Most of Clarkson’s vitriol is purely to fit the persona he has created to be a Top Gear presenter/newspaper columnist.

Actually from what I’ve heard no, he’s a self centred arse in “real life” (first hand reports from those that have had the displeasure to be around him at events like kids rugby etc)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do love all the excuses as to why Londan cannot be bike friendly.

Of course it can be. It however means taking road space and priority away from the great god car.

What is needed is
    1) 20 mph limit on most roads bar main thru routes
    2) assumed liability for at risk road users
    3) proper cycleways on main thru routes.

This is how other cities do it and its perfectly possible

jambalaya
    Free Member

My daughter lives and uses a bike to get around Copenhagen, she says the motorists have respect for cyclists and she feels very safe on the roads there.

brakes
    Free Member

My riding style in cities is to match the traffic speed. That means 20+ mph, sprints and attitude – being assertive, being seen. That means lycra, lights, helmet, kit for riding fast

I agree with the sentiment but not the sprints and attitude bit, or the lycra bit :-).
    Cycling in London now is as much about integrating with other cyclist as it is about integrating with other traffic. Sprints and attitude doesn’t work with other cyclists.

prezet
    Free Member

Sure that’s all possible. Sadly the main thing lacking is the ‘majority’ of people wanting that… I’m sure most actual road users want bigger, wider roads to get more cars onto.

A lot of pedestrians see cyclists as a menace who cycle on pavements, jump red lights etc. While a lot of drivers see them as a hazard on the road, again moan about them jumping red lights etc.

Cyclists really don’t have a good perception in the public eye.

BoardinBob

What is needed is
    1) 20 mph limit on most roads bar main thru routes

You’ve stated previously that hardly any drivers obey current speed limits, so what use would 20mph limits be if they’re ignored?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I like riding in That London. It’s a jolly old place. Narrow streets are good for bikes, they slow the traffic down, It’s the main thoroughfares that cause the problems, Traf Sq is a nightmare as for some reason everyone gets in the wrong lane and guns it at the lights..
    Some roads are simply too fast for bikes IMO, Farringdon Rd is a nightmare’ish road what with all the vans parked on the double yellows, and that really is the problem with That London.. It’s the delivery vans and trucks that cause the majority of the problems we face riding around it..
    No wonder we jump red lights and wiggle through traffic..

ClarkieBoy, well he’s just a good old voice for the great unwashed, I don’t wash very often so sometimes I tend to agree with him.

He still hates motorbikes though doesn’t he??

GrahamS

Ironically many of the (non-motorway) big wide roads that do exist these days are there because CYCLISTS lobbied for them!

Never mind the width, feel the lack of equality

brakes
    Free Member

driving in London isn’t all that bad really…
    it takes a diversion because of roadworks/ constructon, an accident or another road blockage (delivery lorries usually) to cause a jam/ gridlock.
    unfortunately all of these things are all too common.

jameso

Copenhagen is brilliant.

I bet you have more traffic ‘issues’ than I do in London ) I ride at a steady pace in civvies, no lid, and it’s no problem. Awareness and good positioning at times is all that’s needed. I could go faster but as a city-centre-roadie I get a lot less space and consideration.

JC is correct about why Copenhagen and other European cities work so well for ‘cyclists’ – they’re just like all the other people, but on bikes. Less of the them-and-us approach would work well in London too imo.

BoardinBob

y’re just like all the other people, but on bikes. Less of the them-and-us approach would work well in London too imo.

This.

The overwhelming public attitude in the UK still considers cyclists as poor/ proles/ unable to afford a car etc and that they’re forced into cycling rather than choosing to do so.

andytherocketeer

It’s also about linking up transport, around here (Darmstadt, Germany) there are cycle racks at every trams stop, train stations and schools have places for hundreds of bikes.

And in a way more like UK, ie all the bike paths tend to be shared use and painted stripes, rather than like the Netherlands where there’s clear segregation between bikes, pedestrians and cars. Even what I would call shared use in Holland is often a very clear demarkation and small kerb between the paved bit for peds and red tarmac for bikes, and a separation between bikes and door opening zone.

Zillions of bike stands everywhere. And many many signed bike routes.

2) assumed liability for at risk road users

Needs a mentality change, but not just that, but priority for bikes and peds coming up on the inside at junctions. Works in Holland, and here in Germany. Except for suicidal bromfiets riders that can assume they can ride at full speed and a car will never be in their way.

Amsterdam has much, much wider streets than London

Hmmm as a former resident of both London and the Netherlands… which streets are those?
    Oh and bendy buses ftw 🙂

I wish people could get over the idea that there is something especially difficult in their locality that prevents change (or that their local mud grinds away brake pads like nowhere else).

hear hear. UK has special mud that wastes brake pads away in 2 rides, and special rocks that shred tyres and make tubes pinch flat.
    Here in Germany we must have special rocks and stones that gently caress Schwalbe Nobby Nics and guide them in to place, and that special sandy beach trail (or clag fest when it rains) up by Frankenstein’s castle that must clean the brakes and keep them in tiptop condition. 4 years, a few 1000 km, 1 set of brake pads (PS the stock formula organic outlasted the Superstar sintered), 0 punctures, 0 pinch flats, no tubeless. (insert some smilies here – can’t decide which ones, but 😕 🙄 and 😉 will do for now)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Jeremy Clarkson likes cycling!’ is closed to new replies.