Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Jedi (UK Bike Skills) – A myth or a true master?
  • 5AM
    Free Member

Well for those of you that like it short and sweet the answer is without a doubt
    TRUE MASTER!

For everyone else who would like to know a little bit more, please read on…

My off-road mountain biking experience is a grand total of about 6 months, the first 3 months of which was recovering from an operation and taking it very easy.

Having realised I’d caught the bug I decided that I wanted to make sure that I not only improved as quickly as possible, but also that my foundational skills were correct to build on.

My search on various forums eventually led me to UK Bike skills, after which I ummm’d and err’d for a while about spending the money on a 1-2-1 when as most know there are plenty of other group options available for less money. Would I as a relative beginner really get that much more from a 1-2-1 that it would be worth it I had to ask myself? I was lucky enough to be given the money for the skills day as my Xmas present, so I decided to just go for it.

I turned up at Herts shore on Wednesday morning really unsure of what to expect in the way of results, but from all I had read hopeful that I would some sort of improvement to my riding in general.

The minute you first speak to Tony you can tell he is absolutely passionate about bikes; what I think is more unusual is that it’s obvious that he wants to share this knowledge and has spent a lot of time perfecting his technique to do this.

I won’t go in to all the details of how the day was broken down (you can find this on the UK Bike skills blog should you wish;) but what I will say is that while you are taking in consciously what Tony is teaching you, he is also tapping in to your unconscious and giving you a helping hand.

There are times during the day when you know you’ve done something right and you don’t have to wait for Tony to tell you (although he does,) you know before he says a word by the excitement in his eyes. Tony absolutely loves what he is doing and it shows.

So do I think it was worth it… Absolutely and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Tony to anyone else.
    I know that Tony has given me the skills that I can continue to develop my riding, and that the lesson is far from over yet. Once I get to a point where I feel my progress slows I’ll definitely be going back for another session, that is of course if Tony will have me 😀

As for the results – I’m delighted to say that Tony gave me wings and taught me to fly (and a lot of other things too.)

Tony if you read this thanks for a fantastic day, and hopefully I can come visit Herts shore again sometime. Cheers 😉

jedi

thank you for your kind words 5am.
    remember what i said about keeping in contact to make sure you retain as much as possible as i say to everyone

nols
    Free Member

Nice one dude. Looks like you’re finding out what we’ve known for years.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I’m booked in for a 1-2-1 2weeks today. Really looking forward to it. 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

you wont regret it, its nearly a yeah since i first met tony and he is still helping me every ride.

yeah, i need a lot of help!

jedi

coaching was wierd for me today on a test bike (orange blood) but it feels good except i catch my leg on the linkage when table topping 🙁
    thanks for the kind words again guys 🙂

dans160
    Free Member

Mmm. I could do with another session I think. I’ll start saving…

jedi

dans160, hows the riding been since last year when we had our session?

dans160
    Free Member

Big improvements, especially in cornering and looking ahead. Much less comfort braking also. I still need to work on jumps which I practice most weeks but tend to find my confidence broken on them quite easily. I’m also looking at the trail differently and will often go back and try new lines and different approaches etc. The bike set up has changed a little also, slightly shorter stem, wider and lower bars but the brake levers are as you left them and the front forks are not nearly as soft.

5AM
    Free Member

Well I’m certainly looking forward to getting out this weekend and putting some of the new techniques in to practice.
    Just have to not try too much in one go 🙄

jedi

dan160, great to hear.
    5AM, first ride can be terrible as you try to do everything and end up doing nothing 🙂 just relax and enjoy the ride

winterfold
    Free Member

Jedi – that keep your arse OFF the saddle when descending on your roady tip is great – I was uncatchable on descents at an event today

Unfortunately after a winter of MTB I was 2 minutes off pace on every climb but you can’t win em all.

Next year I will get the fitness/skills balance better, hopefully, but if you don’t have skills and confidence there is only so far fitness will take you …

_tom_
    Free Member

I found I was a bit rubbish the first few rides that followed my session as I was just thinking about everything too much.. takes a few then it all seems to click!

jedi

tom, i told you that would happen 🙂 🙂 the desire to do everything at the same time makes you fall apart. it takes a while to settle in some riders 🙂 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Jedi (UK Bike Skills) – A myth or a true master?’ is closed to new replies.