Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Java update!
  • JamieMc
    Free Member

What is this Java Update i constantly get asked to do on my computer? What does the software do? its a pain in the ass getting asked to update every day or so. tell me more about Java…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28programming_language%29

make sure you allow updates to install if you want your computer to be as secure as it can be from infection.
    but if you’re getting update alerts every day, then i’d suggest something’s going wrong somewhere…

cranberry
    Free Member

To save yourself a bunch of hassle and keep your PC up to date I would suggest

1. Updating Java as above
    2. Installing Secunia PSI – this keeps tabs on what software on your PC might have security issues associated with it and automatically updates them in the background.
    Secunia PSI download

Cougar

I’m a fan of Secunia (I’ve been championing it for some time on here) but you don’t really need it for Java as Java (should) auto-updates.

If you get offered a Java update you absolutely should accept it (assuming it’s genuine). If it’s coming up every day, however, something is wrong.

Java is, basically, a plug-in that lets programs run on your PC. A lot of things use it, so it’s pretty ubiquitous. Because of this it’s a high target for hackers and viruses, so it’s important to keep it up to date.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Java update!’ is closed to new replies.