Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Jacobs Ladder Climb
  • franki
    Free Member

I think when the conditions are right and you're in tip-top fitness with honed skills (and blessed with a great deal of luck) it can be done.
    The conditions under wheel vary so much though and can make it impossible.
    I remember riding most of it back in the '90s, but last time I tried (2008) I never came even remotely close to cleaning it.

nbt

crazy-legs – Member

I think NBT means riding up the Troutbeck side…

No, I meant from Kentmere. I haven;t ridden all of it, and it's been in sections with breathers (i'm not a riding god) but I've ridden a damn sight more of the garburn pass than jacob's ladder

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone got pics of the hardest bits?

dst
    Free Member

Respect to anybody that can climb the ladder. I found it hard enough coming down, came off twice!

flyingmonkeycorps

Every walker I've ever met on t'Ladder (going down, mind!) has been friendly and chatty, if a little incredulous ("you're going to ride down it? On a bike?"). Some have even cheered as I minced down the steppy bit at the top.

Diane
    Free Member

Hmmm think we should have a meet up at some stage – those who want to ride up and those who want to ride down 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I'd like to have a punt at it!

I remember that mag article, Martyn Brookes is a very good rider, not only strong, but good technically too, I reckon he's a very likely person to have succeeded. I know I wouldn't have chosen an alu hardtail to try it though!

molgrips
    Free Member

I feel like having a go at this now.

EDIT: njee, didn't you say you'd not ridden much outside the SE?

elaineanne
    Free Member

i want to ride up it and down… all in one go 😈 😆 is it that hellish steep…..

nickc

I've got the steps at the top, but by then I'm seriously red lined. One look at those, and that's pretty much it for me. Any one that can get up those is seriously talented and fit.

njee20
    Free Member

EDIT: njee, didn't you say you'd not ridden much outside the SE?

Sort of, I've done most of the Welsh trail centres, and raced all over the country, but I've not actually done much normal riding, Drumlanrig and Dunkeld are the only places in Scotland I've ridden! Never been to the Peaks either, and Grizedale is my only Lakes experience!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i dont think i would like to ride up it as it would mean getting off the bike here and there in places but id defo have ago at that going down 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Well then you definitely should get up to the Peaks 🙂 You have to do at least a few big hill/mountain rides… And those kinds of rocky climbs are a great challenge.

Diane
    Free Member

Well whether we get round to organising something or not you must come back to this post to report your efforts 🙂

traildog
    Free Member

Jacobs is certainly harder than Garburn. It's only the top rocky part I cannot do on Garburn (Kentmere side) yet I've got nowhere near clearing Jacobs. I always mess up the first bit, even though it's quite possible. The second part, up to the gate relatively easy and then it kicks up which is a killer when your lungs are inside out but it's still do able. It's the steep part after that which I just cannot imagine getting anywhere close to cleaning. Even with the flat bit before hand which gives you a good breather.

As for the person that mentioned a race on Bridleways is illegal, you are right. But who needs to time such an event? The challenge is to get to the top, or at least as far as possible, and thus I believe such an event might be considered legal?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Jacobs Ladder Climb’ is closed to new replies.