• This topic has 477 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by db.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 478 total)
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg
  • stcolin
    Free Member

Never heard of him 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Vaginitis Siliconosis

councilof10
    Free Member

Bellus endus?

Ooh, look who’s back with his typically useful style of posting… 🙄

Do you have anything sensible to add Binbin?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

councilof10
    Free Member

Vaginitis Siliconosis

Is that a condition common amongst people who use silicone bedroom toys?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Moses

In a country where around 5% of the population understand any Latin, using that language to make a point is purely exclusionary.
    Snobbery, to put it bluntly.

Klunk
    Free Member

snobs on stw never!

binners

Presumably, If you could use a language that absolutely nobody understands but you, then according to this principle that’d make you the very pinnacle of human intellect?

Have you ever been to Leeds?

councilof10
    Free Member

In a country where around 5% of the population understand any Latin, using that language to make a point is purely exclusionary.

As I mentioned earlier, comedic effect… You only need to google what he says to get the joke.

jambalaya
    Free Member

In a country where around 5% of the population understand any Latin,

etcetera etcetera etcetera 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

etcetera etcetera etcetera

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP0_-zfQkOE[/video]

ransos
    Free Member

You only need to google what he says to get the joke.

I think everyone except you gets the joke.

AdamW
    Free Member

It is comedic, quoting Seneca. JRM is not what I would describe as a stoic. I’d prefer him to be a peripatetic and simply walk away.

Also needing to google to get a joke is like having to explain it, which makes it very unfunny.

Dydy e ddim yn gwerth rhech dafad.

Oh look! Another language! Fiercly intelligent! Hilarious 😕

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dydy e ddim yn gwerth rhech dafad

Googled this. It is actually hilarious. 😆

binners

Ken Dodds dads dogs dead

aracer
    Free Member

Sorry, wasn’t meant to be – I don’t place any status value at all on having mixed with such people. Presumably you do, which is why you thought it bragging? The reason I mixed with such people maybe, which is what makes the following the hilarious bit:

Probably a bit of an under-achiever, slightly higher than average IQ but average education, you have a chip on your shoulder and feel that you should be enjoying a far more fruitful existence than your peers by dint of your intelligence, and you blame a lack of opportunity and education for your mediocrity.

I have no doubt at all that you’d love to sound more educated. So when you interpret JRMs tone as condescending, I suspect it’s down to envy rather than any particular shortcomings of JRM as a politician.

I’m not sure why I should be envious of somebody who went to a university which is a complete dump 😉

The humble brag is right there if you can work it out – otherwise you’ll have to stalk me a bit better, as I have mentioned my education on here at some point in the past.

I often see you repeating words or phrases others have posted that you possibly feel sound rather grandiose or cerebral

Or maybe I’m just taking the piss

I’ve been watching your posts carefully for some time now aracer – not because I’m some sort of stalker, but because you seem to gravitate towards my posts in an effort to try and antagonise me. I’m genuinely quite flattered.

No, I’m flattered that you’ve noticed – I have to admit I hadn’t particularly realised I did, but then there are certain types of post on here which are fun to take the piss out of (whether or not such piss taking generates a rise – antagonising you isn’t actually the intention [in case any mods are reading])

…oh and my interpretation of JRM’s tone as condescending and his character as being an arse is because it is and he is – I’ve met plenty of people very much like him

Moses

Understanding Latin doesn’t make one intelligent, it just indicates a type of education rather than a level of learning.
    Using it in speech to hoi polloi is plain rude or inconsiderate.

If JRM is using it to make a comedic point, he’s doing it for the benefit of his mates, not the poor saps who would suffer from his law-making.

ransos
    Free Member

Understanding Latin doesn’t make one intelligent, it just indicates a type of education rather than a level of learning.

It’s difficult to see the value in choosing to communicate through a foreign language of limited utility, other than to confirm that JRM is a dilettante, with archaic knowledge used in lieu of something intelligent, original or interesting. The councillor may wish to reflect on some words of wisdom from a certain Jedi master: “Who’s the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?”.

mefty
    Free Member

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

mikewsmith
    Free Member

is latin any more pointless than when people manage to type in phonetic scotts?

perchypanther
    Free Member

is latin any more pointless than when people manage to type in phonetic scotts?

Assume you mean Scots?

That living breathing language, spoken daily by millions of people?

As opposed to Scotts which is a breakfast cereal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Frankly who cares, I’ll probably go and google some quirky phrase and paste that next

tjagain

Dinne ken laddie

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jings, crivvens, and indeed, help ma boab.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Gonnae gie’s a plen ane ananinginaneana
    I’m a ****in’ genius

tjagain

Anyone who wants to understand Moggs politics its pretty obvious in his voting record. Reactionary, anti human rights, far right of the tory party.
    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/votes

sbob
    Free Member

That living breathing language, spoken daily by millions of people?

Speaking English badly does not a new language make.

kcal

Moree worryingly when I see JRM – is that he bears an uncanny resemblance to a cousin of mine – down to the “what am I doing here” transplanted from the Edwardian era dress, mannerisms and language..

aracer
    Free Member

Nil illegitimi carborundum

perchypanther
    Free Member

Speaking English badly does not a new language make

Not new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language

seosamh77
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member
    Speaking English badly does not a new language make
    Not new.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language

a bit like that other widely known language of gordie! 😆

mefty
    Free Member

That theyworkforyou site doesn’t half give a misleading impression – dreadful.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mefty – Member

What by listing how he voted? Want to give us an idea as to how it’s misleading and not telling you how JRM voted?

mefty
    Free Member

By the grouping and the lack of context, they say he conistently voted against gay marriage, which he clearly did. They also say he voted consistently against gay rights – and what would those gay rights be? Marriage, which they have singled out separately -s o they are effectively double counting.

Then you look further and he is being “marked down” for voting against an opposition amendment to the Queen’s Speech – well of course he is – that is kind of how it works, etcetera etcetera etcetera

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep it reflects how he voted. Are they actually double counting or just making 2 piles.

It’s the same for every MP so it’s actually a fair and resonable way of detailing the votes of all MP’s.

Unless you think JRM is a progressive, inclusive and many other things which he clearly isn’t.

sbob
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member

Not new.

Correct, English is not new and scots still isn’t a language, but don’t take my word for it; ask the people of Scotland:

A 2010 Scottish Government study of “public attitudes towards the Scots language” found that 64% of respondents “don’t really think of Scots as a language”

🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure what the problem is here – you’re complaining that they’re suggesting he is against gay marriage AND against gay rights. Is the problem that he isn’t actually against one of those, or is there some more subtle issue I’m missing?

tjagain

mefty – Member

You mean its a factual account of his voting record which shows just what an unpleasant man he is but does not show him in the favourable light you would like?

Plenty of other equal rights issues have been voted on since he was elected

he is being “marked down” for voting against an opposition amendment

Marked down? who is using pejorative terms now. No marking down of anything – just a factual record of his voting patterns.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 478 total)

The topic ‘Jacob Rees-Mogg’ is closed to new replies.