Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • jackets for the long of arm
  • Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

any tall riders out there got any recomendations regarding long sleeved riding jackets that fit a slim but long armed rider. I’m 6’5″.

TooTall
    Free Member

Nope. Complete pot luck. I have an XXL Montane Pertex riding jacket with lovely long sleeves, but other Montane jackets aren’t even close. Other than that, you just have to try everything on.

BadlyWiredDog

If you draw a blank with bike-specific jackets, Rab designs a lot of its technical outdoor clothing with longer than average sleeves.

IA

Love my montane featherlite velo, it’s a medium too!

I’m 6’4″ and 83kg, nothing with long sleeves ever fits in a medium! But it’s perfect, slim and long sleeved.

tang
    Free Member

Arcteryx have been good, they do some good softshells, maybe because they cost an arm and a leg!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Norrona!!! they are very expensive, but they do fantastic jackets and look awesome too if you ask me! they are a norwegian company.
    i have a norrona falketind jacket and the sleeves are definitely nice and long, love it!
    http://www.norrona.com/Concepts

and tamarack uk based store seem to be best stocked / have the best range over here…

http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acatalog/Norrona.html

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

theres even a one in the sale section on there but its purple and medium

rootes1

any tall riders out there got any recomendations regarding long sleeved riding jackets that fit a slim but long armed rider. I’m 6’5″.

me too i’m that height and 80kg – pain the arse to find stuff..
    Pearl Izumi tend to be long in the arm for a given size / chest size.

also work looking more at ‘roadie’ stuff as this tends to be more slim fitting.

passtherizla
    Free Member

+1 for montane stuff… great kit I use their kit for loads of applications the belay jackets are awesome as are their prism jackets and shells. light too! I have normal length arms and they come up a bit long on me, even when fully extended.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Rab jackets have long sleeves, I dont know whether they make any suitable jackets for riding in though.

jfeb
    Free Member

Gore Oxygen SO. I have a Large. I am 6’3″, 83kg with orang-utan arms (198cm span) and the sleeves are perfect.

robnorthcott
    Free Member

(slightly OT, but on a similar note) I’m quite tall and skinny with a longish body. Best fitting cycling jacket I’ve ever bought was an old Biemme one – getting pretty tatty and faded now after 20 years, but I’ve yet to find anything that fits me as well. “Medium” size (road) jerseys fit me quite well but are a bit short. Large are better length but ridiculously baggy. Surely tall skinny cyclists can’t be that rare?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Same here! 6’6, 38 inch arms, 44 inch chest

Before they went bust I got Freestyle to make me a bespoke Goretex.

I wonder if Endura might be prepared to do something?

Taff
    Free Member

I have arms that a ridiculously long but I’m only 6′. I’ve tried a Montane and that was fine but as said above they aren’t all the same. I have a Karrimor and another that both fit me although were bought solely as they fit and definately aren’t that nice looking !

speshspenner
    Free Member

Try Looking at some Mavic jackets, ime a bit of a bean pole(6’2″) with long arms and back, I found that they fit well, cover your arse…
    and are even a bit To long in the sleeve, they also build something into the sleeve called ‘ergo’ cuff, keeps the cuff at the right angle stopping draughts. Not cheap mind 😳

rootes1

I have some of their road focused jackets and they are ace, slim body and very long arms.

13thfloormonk

I’ve been looking for the same thing and the ONLY jacket I found that fit the bill was a Gore (I think it was the Xenon packable windproof).

I found Montanes bunched up weird under my armpits, maybe I just have fatter shoulders than they’re designed for.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’m 6’4.75″ (and I have been having a lot of joy with my The North Face MTB jackets.

I have the Hyvent material, Muddy Tracks, jacket and the lighter, smaller packing Xenon, Paclite jackets and both are the same fit with wonderful long sleeves and a long back.

The cut’s so good, and long for cycling, I can use the size L, not the XL, which means, unlike other brands, I don;t have a billowing sail of a jacket around my body in the wind!

coatesy
    Free Member

Paramo Quito here, always suffered with long arm/short sleeve syndrome, tried their ordinary medium sized jackets with no luck, and ended up in an XL before the sleeves reached my hands, bought their Quito in a medium and the sleeves are long enough for me to think I could probably get away with a small.Nice jacket too, tried all sorts before, nothing keeps me dry, but it’s the only one I stay warm in.

LS
    Free Member

AnalogueAndy – Member

Endura make our club kit and they’re quite happy to make stuff with longer sleeves. I’m 6’2″ish 72Kgs 36″ chest with silly-long arms, a small jacket with 4″ longer sleeves is a perfect fit.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Group buy? Seem to be a fair few of us at 6′ 5″/c80kg.

Last time I bought a (ski jacket) waterproof shell it was a North Face but there was no consistency between the models – the model I bought came up signifcantly longer in the arms that any of the others (and was naturally the most expensive).

Endura seems to come up longer than most.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Did you get one in the end?

I’m another sufferer of short-sleeve syndrome (the dreaded triple-S). Would love to find a decent MTB jacket that has longer sleeves yet isn’t too baggy in the body. (I’d also like to find some trousers that have a longer inseam without having to get XL or XXL, but that’s another post.)

The Norrona Fjora jackets look lovely, as does the Montane stuff. Both pretty spendy though – anyone know if they ever show up in sales anywhere?

Vader
    Free Member

total beanpole here, i’m using a hagloffs lim jacket that is super slim fit with long long arms. It is perfect for biking, although it has a hood which might not suit. Rolls away nicely though

flap_jack
    Free Member

like ashfanman would love a long enough long. Endura Singletracks just too short even at XXL

Bez

Northwave works IME. Some Gore stuff as well. If you don’t mind road styling and an often weighty price tag then Italian stuff is a good place to start.

Montane is way off for me. Get the sleeves long enough and the body’s like a wedding marquee.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try an Endura Flyte – the arms are long and thin, longer than the other Enduras I have tried (Convert, Venturi).

ashfanman
    Free Member

Just tried a few of the jackets recommended in this post and thought I’d share my findings, in case anyone was interested.

I tried:

Hagloffs Endo
    Rab Stretch NeoShell
    Montane Mohawk
    Arc’teryx Beta FL

The Montane was really well put together, was pretty lightweight and had some great features, but the arms were just too short for me. A shame, because otherwise it was pretty much perfect.

The Hagloffs was the only one specifically designed for riding, which was evident in a fantastic fit. It was really trim in the body and more than adequately long in the arms, but felt far too flimsy. The sales guy said he wouldn’t expect it to last long, particularly with regular wear under a backpack. That said, it was the cheapest of the four. I spoke to Hagloffs and they said the Electron would be a better bet as it’s a bit sturdier, but I can’t find anywhere in London that stocks it.

The Rab was the most comfortable (possibly due to the slight stretch in the fabric) and like the Hagloffs had really long sleeves – even fully stretched out they didn’t ride up at all. It was also felt the most sturdy, and apparently the NeoShell fabric is considerably more breathable than eVent or any of the GoreTex fabrics. The only problem, apparently, is that its waterproofing is nowhere near as extensive as eVent or GoreTex. The sales guy also said that it would get worse with use, and that there was no way to re-treat it to fully restore its waterproofing. (He did say it would remain fine for all but prolonged use in a serious downpour, however.) I actually spoke to Rab’s sales team, who are all keen cyclists, to see if they’d recommend it for MTB use. They actually suggested I look elsewhere, as the NeoShell wasn’t specifically designed for riding so I’d probably be able to do better for my money – how about that for customer service!

Somewhat predictably, given its ludicrous price tag, the Arc’teryx was probably the best overall. The fit was pretty much perfect – it felt really comfortable and light – and apparently uses a new version of Gore’s Active Shell that is a good mix of waterproofing and breathability. It wasn’t quite as comfortable as the Rab, and definitely didn’t feel as sturdy, but other than that it was spot on. A bit too spendy for me, but might be worth keeping an eye out in the sales.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘jackets for the long of arm’ is closed to new replies.