Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • I've signed up for a cycling event in Iceland
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve signed up for an event in Iceland. I’ll be part of a team of 10 who have to cycle around the countries ‘ring road’ – road No.1, in 72 hours – about 830 miles or so. Looking forward to it but slightly daunted even though I estimate i’ll only have to cover about 200 miles over the 72 hour period as we split ourselves into groups of 4 or 5 to tackle it in a relay stye of chunks of around 2 hrs cycling at a time, but lack of sleep and etc. is bound to have unknown affects.

Anyway not sure what bike i’ll need. I believe that Road 1 is tarmac, unlike alot of the interior roads in Iceland which are unsealed, but not sure what state they’ll be in and if my Giant Propel will be suitable give the slim frame/tyre clearance if there is alot of debris/detritus on the road. It might be better to configure my RoadRat into some form of Road/Gravel hybrid (it’s sort of nearly there really). I know there is a 30km or so section that is off road, but chances are I wont have to ride it if there is someone in the group with a mountain bike (mixed group of some from UK and some from Iceland).

Anyone got any knowledge or experience of this road?

Thanks.

Squirrel

Time of year makes a big difference.There was a fair bit of snow on it when I was there last April.

jam-bo

The bits of route 1 I’ve ridden near selfoss and vik, the main tarmac was ok but the margins where you’ll be riding not so good with a lot of grit etc. Cars weren’t too bad but the buses don’t slow down for anything…

vargur
    Free Member

Rode the same event last year on my Cube Agree on 25mm GP4000 (116kg rider) so you could go with your Giant, or the road rat for more comfort. Will be riding again with a different team this year. There is only a small part on gravel and some have ridden it on cross bikes most use MTB for that part. ( road called Oxi between Egilstadir and Djupivogur) Great fun and the view is always amazing. Could be cold for you over the night or if its foggy on the east part. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘I've signed up for a cycling event in Iceland’ is closed to new replies.