Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I've managed to crawl from the undergrowth….
  • sharki
    Free Member

….To post on here!

As it’s been over a year since I’ve posted images on here, i guess things have changed abit, with lots of new kids on the forum.

Therefore, hello kiddies and hello to anyone else who has appreciated my pics and witterings in the past.

I’ll try to keep the witterings short.

Here’s a couple of fox photo’s i managed back in May when i was out everyday with the camera, primarily out to photograph kingfishers.

Less than a mile from me, the local fox family managed to raise 4 cubs this year, here’s the vixen heading out for food.

She walked towards me in long grass, sniffed the air then passed me by.
    All I’ve done here was softened the colours. It was late may and the midday sun was a harsh light.

Compare that to this dog fox.
    I’d seen it hunting along a stream bank, but i’d seen him before do this routine, then hunt in a nearby field. So i headed to the edge of the field hoping he’d appear and thankfully he did.
    The day was coming to an end and the light was failing, sadly he was hunting away from me and all i could see was his bushy tail.

Suddenly i recalled a method that i used to use when i’d shoot with a more deadly tool. So i began to squeak to him, the sound of a distressed animal was a great temptation, and over to me he ran.

Only when i stopped calling him, did he become wary and hesitant, he then ran the moment he knew this suffering bunny was in fact me.

Not technically a great photo, but those eyes and keeping the grass in focus, gives the impression that he’s stalking YOU!

My main target in May was kingfishers. I’d seen a nest site being used last year, so in Feb, i set up a hide away from the nest site.(it’s illegal to disturb a nesting Kingfisher near to or at a nest site).

I picked a suitable fishing spot set up a perch. Then come late April i’d observe the nest from afar for signs of it being in use.

Seeing the female entering the nest was confirmation enough and every day, once happy no kingfisher was near the hide, i entered and waited.
    Often she was fly by with a fish, occasionally she’d use my perch to hunt and caught many bullheads to feed to her young.

Light here however wasn’t proving to be great, the near constant flickering of dappled light along a draughty corridor of trees, was challenging me. The female showed at my perch more often as the demand for food grew with the quickly growing chicks.

And after several failed dives, she’d come up for a preening session.
    This first image was a rare moment when the light was perfect. Near perfect light shone on the bird, whilst the background was immersed in shade. Shame i messed up the composure, but i really feather detail to be strong.

Finally the sharpest and cleanest image of the female Kingfisher. This was taken after the chicks had fledged, I caught her waiting for the male to bring her food, and the start of creating the second brood.

Note the Perch, my hide made Hazel stick, bound with Ivy. Much whittling was done whilst patiently waiting.

There’s many more from this year, but these are by far my favourites.

Hope you enjoy and hope even more you get pleasure from seeing wildlife whilst out riding, walking, dogging, etc..

Junkyard
    Free Member

Awesome glad you are doing well

takisawa2

Stunning, just stunning.

SaxonRider

Nice. Welcome back!

rene59
    Free Member

Nice, I like those.

bigdaddy

Fantastic pictures, love them

shermer75
    Free Member

That photo of the kingfisher with the shaded background is just stunning. They all excellent, but you should be particularly proud of that one. I also think that you’re being a little critical of the composition. The bird is looking to the right, the wing is extended out to fill that space, you have left some space in the frame for it to fill. I’d say it’d look weird any other way!

Harry_the_Spider

Beautiful pictures fella.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thanks sharki I have always found your threads hugely interesting. Did wonder a while back if/when you would appear again.

daftvader
    Free Member

Was thinking of you (in a non pervy way) this week as our local museum has the wildlife photographer pics in. Love the kingfisher

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

our local museum has the wildlife photographer pics in.

Many of them taking in Da Hood! 🙂

Caught a flash of blue on a walk the other day. Glorious.

Lovely pics as ever, Sharki! Good to hear you’re on good form.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Wow! Awesome pics Sharki! Glad you’re good 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

Stunning shots, Sharki, especially the preening kingfisher.

mogrim

Lovely photos! Had an encounter with a tame fox today, which was unexpected and welcome – Reynard was obviously very used to meeting hikers and runners, and was happy to come close and take a cereal bar from the hand of one of the guys I was with. Also saw the far more usual mountain goats and vultures.

Pigface
    Free Member

Great photos, glad you are doing ok

fadda

Welcome back, sharki, and glad you’re doing well.

More, please, whenever you’re ready!

wildheart
    Free Member

A lovely set of pictures there,did you use any flash on that female Kingfisher pic ?

sandboy

As a newbie on here, I’d not seen any of your photos before but hope to see many more in the future. Amazing shots. When I think about it, the amount of wildlife I see while out on my bikes,photography could compliment it perfectly. Thank you.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good work fella

senorj

Hurrah.
    Love the stalking fox. Top photos as per.

boxelder

Great to know people still invest this sort of time and effort. I saw a kingfisher the other day for the first time in years – flying across the river near the middle of town with the sun picking it out. It’s amazing how colourful they are – like a Cube hardtail 😆

sharki
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments.

Ernie, I’ve ben meaning to post something on here. But forgot how to add pics to a post.

About the composition, thanks shermer. I get what you’re saying, my only real issue was wanting more on the bottom of the frame, as it’s a little tight down there.

Wildheart. No flash, all natural light.

sandboy. Mountainbiking got me into wildlife photography, but as my kit got more and heavier, I started to leave the bike and walk.

The transition wasn’t easy as the words steady and patient aren’t how people would describe my riding style

I try to video as well as just stills.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzg0XKfjHBg[/video]

And have a couple trail cams that I use at various location to see what’s about.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBy99yhaeHM[/video]

unovolo
    Free Member

Excellent pictures and a credit to you, i’d be very pleased with myself if I could get anything half as good as those.

tthew

You should put the preening kingfisher photo in for wildlife photography competitions, if that’s your bag. No, actually, you should put them all in.

Pleased you’re back, always enjoy your work.

scaredypants

really nice photos, as usual Sharki – it’s a gift to be able to use a camera properly AND to sit still for ages (still, I shouldn’t be too hard on myself, I only fail on two of those things)

crazy-legs

Welcome back to the forum Sharki and thanks for posting those photos, top work!

Philby

Stunning photos, especially the two of the kingfishers.

tenfoot

Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    One of the benefits of mountain biking is the close proximity to wildlife.
    In the last year I have ridden alongside a running badger, had a bat bounce off my chest, seen several owls at close quarters and startled a deer. Absolutely love it.

ononeorange

Thank you. Stunning. The stalking fox is sublime, spent a long time just staring at it.

More, please!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I've managed to crawl from the undergrowth….’ is closed to new replies.