Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • i've lost my pride in my country
  • TooTall
    Free Member

flange – google 'safety camera partnership' for your area – they have probably signed up to the practices that govern the placement of safety cameras. They have to have evidence of a set number of serious accidents in a location before a camera can be placed there. I was a sceptic – far more convinced these days.

America – the land without TeeJay – imagine that! BTW – your 'statistics' are nothing more than that Jezza – just statistics and don't account for the real world. As usual.

aracer
    Free Member

Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others because you were born in it.

aracer
    Free Member

They have to have evidence of a set number of serious accidents in a location before a camera can be placed there.

You do realise those accidents only have to be within a certain distance of the proposed location, and not necessarily on the same bit of road – hence they can put cameras on a bypass because of accidents in the nearby 30 limit! That's before you even consider that said accidents don't have to be anything to do with speed (ISTR one case where an included accident was somebody falling over on a bus – before you ask the bus wasn't speeding). It's all smoke and mirrors.

mt
    Free Member

It's that grass again. Greener on the other side of the fence, catches em out everytime.

flange
    Free Member

Haha chill it bro

Now then yowth….

Out of interest Re: speed cameras, the accidents that occur also don't have to be speed related. So not much of a con then

0091paddy
    Free Member

What's all this about being proud? You were born here, you didn't choose to live here.

That's like me being proud of having brown hair, despite the fact I was born with brown hair.

Always confuses me.. :mrgreen:

People can be proud of what's going on in a country or what their countrymen/women are achieving.

Britain is still great. Far more positives than negatives, imo. But no harm in people wanting to try different places either.

duntmatter
    Free Member

grumm – go straight to the top of the class!

CountZero

aracer beat me to it. That's exactly what happened with the Batheaston Bypass taking the A4 into Bath. Batheaston was an accident blackspot, so they built a bypass, and put a 50mph limit on it and a camera before it even opened! If that isn't a money-generating scam I don't know what is. The camera is just past a bridge part-way along a straight section after a bend, designed to nail drivers. As a dual-carriageway, there's no reason at all why it shouldn't have a 70 limit, there's no buildings or access off of it. It devalues any possibility of cameras being seen as a safety measure. Before the camera Nazis turn up and flame me about sticking to the speed limit, yada yada yada, when the limit is quite obviously political rather than safety motivated, then why should I?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Patriotism is the belief that your country is superior to all others………

No, it, isn't ! There's nothing wrong with being patriotic. There's nothing wrong with being proud of what your country has achieved. In fact, the need to be patriotic is prerequisite for any society to move forward in a positive way. None of which suggests that your country is 'superior' to all others.

I think you might be confusing patriotism with chauvinism ……

nickc

the need to be patriotic is prerequisite for any society to move forward in a positive way

You could argue that some contemporary views of morality (virtue ethics for one) excludes such accidents as place of birth, and are incompatible with notions of patriotism.

saladdodger
    Free Member

no griping here I am doing something about it

If the people of this country were likde the sort of folk you get on a STW ride this country would be great and full of decient folk

Alas

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You could argue that some contemporary views of morality ……… are incompatible with notions of patriotism.

Yes, of course you could argue that. If you happen to be a liberal middle-class pseudo-leftie 😉

That's why I reject them 8)

DrDolittle
    Free Member

There's nothing wrong with being proud of what your country has achieved.

Proud of other people's achievements? Strange concept.

In fact, the need to be patriotic is prerequisite for any society to move forward in a positive way.

In fact? or is that an opinion?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Proud of other people's achievements?

No …… proud of what you are part of.

And it's a 'fact' btw.

epicyclo

Patriotism is a healthy pride in one's country. It doesn't have to be perfect. Most Scots, Ozzies, and large former colonies on the other side of the Atlantic understand this.

There is an exception.

Patriotism is racism when it's done by the English. 😆

langy
    Free Member

Well, I lived in the US (colorado, home of the rockies, great skiing/biking/hiking/climbing/just about every "outdoor" sport you can come up with!) and now live in Australia.

not much different between the three of them…excpet the style of living; From London – hassle to do our type of stuff, but lots of work, but lots of noise, dirty etc, to Small CO tourist town – great everything you need, but not always everything you want, go a bit stir crazy after a while, to Adelaide – small city, can get everything I want and need easily enough, but not too crazy busy, esay to get away and have pristine and quiet etc.

Personally, don't think its so much the where, as the how, you live.

BillOddie

Well said that man.

However, such common sense and well reasoned thought is not welcome here. 😉

nickc

No according to Ernie though, apparently that makes you a…hang on, a liberal middle-class pseudo-leftie…

So that's that then… 😉

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Scotland / England by no means perfect but the USA = one fcuked up society. You're welcome to it…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think you might be confusing patriotism with chauvinism

I think you meant "jingoism". But I know what you mean.

gazman
    Free Member

i agree with peterpoddy in his first instance where could you find more gorgeous scenery than england? i visited the lakes with my missus recently (never been before) and we were both in awe its fantastic. the problem with our country is its full of money grabbing sh*ts who will not be satisfied until they`ve taken our last penny from us in one way or another, gaz

ton

i would love to live in scotland.
    the area around inverness would be my choice if mrs ton would say yes to it.
    i would also love to live in the u.s.a
    the west coast from san fransisco upwards would be my destination.

jfeb
    Free Member

I am with PP on this one. If you don't like living in England, move. You have 26 other countries in the European Union to move to tomorrow as long as you have a passport. No hoops to jump through. Just pack you bags and go.

England is not perfect and I have thought about living elsewhere too but I suspect I would trade one set of compromises for another.

Anyway, you take most of your problems with you.

Captain_Crash
    Free Member

For those who at the moment, are having life in this country treat them well. This is a wonderful place to be. No Sh1t !, you guys are sooo difficult to spot…..

And for the others, they are always going to complain, aren't they. 🙄

The world may well be your oyster. But you may wish to remember, you can't run away from yourself….

CC.

MTT
    Free Member

I'd have given this blatant troll a 1/10 but it seems to have worked thus i must raise your score to 8/10. Good job. Thread about the talibans positive influence tomorrow?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

"I think you might be confusing patriotism with chauvinism"

I think you meant "jingoism". But I know what you mean.

Well actually I did mean chauvinism…….as in a chauvinistic sense of superiority. Jingoism suggests an additional aggressive sabre-rattling foreign policy.

btw, my reference to 'having pride in your country' was made in direct reference to aracer's comment. In no way do I believe that patriotism is simply about being proud of your country. Or even it's primary character. Patriotism for me is about having deep sense of affection and concern for your country, an attitude which I consider to be both positive and constructive. As indeed it is also imo when it is expressed towards local communities, institutions, and other civil structures.

And imo the root cause of most of the problems which Britain faces today, is fact that for the last 30 years, Britain has been governed by deeply unpatriotic governments.

scraprider
    Free Member

proud to be british.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘i've lost my pride in my country’ is closed to new replies.