Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I've just written off my car. :-(
  • crazy-legs

That’ll teach me for driving!

Knackered after a week of riding 20 miles each way on the CX through the snow, I woke up to temperatures of -12 and decided to drive. Way home tonight, about 4.15pm on the M60 I hit something in the road (no idea what at the time). I was doing about 60mph then suddenly there was a massive bang then the back end seized up. I was right in the middle of a junction so had to drive about 500m with the back end screaming and juddering before I could pull onto the hard shoulder. Right by a phone so bonus. The fuel tank had ruptured, diesel pouring out, brake hoses were ripped and there was a huge piece of metal hanging down on the road.

Within a few minutes there was an Incident Support truck with me and then the Highways Agency traffic wombles (who were excellent). RAC arrived about 15 mins later, took me and the car back to my workplace.

Once we were stopped in the light, the RAC guy looked at the car and, from underneath it, pulled out a metal girder about 5ft long, a couple of inches wide and very thin but very solid. Must have been a bit of scrap metal off a lorry or something. I’d not seen it at all lying in the road, the front wheel had flipped it up, through the underside of the car, through the fuel tank and into the rear suspension (that’d be what was screaming and vibrating then…)

Bloke just looked at it and said, you are one very lucky guy, if it had been a few feet further forward or if the rear wheels of the car in front had flipped it, it would have gone into the car or through the windscreen. 😯

Meanwhile, I’ve nicked the works van and the RAC have taken the car off for storage until I sort things out with the insurance.

Right, now where’s my relaxing weekend please? 🙁

tails
    Free Member

Get a beer or a cuppa! It’s a car you can replace! Still shame the chopper with metal did not fasten it properly!

nbt

This is what whisky was invented for. Have a single malt to help your nerves

Smarty
    Free Member

very lucky escape by the sound of it. It seems YOU are ok which is the main thing.

stompy

I wondered where that lump of steel had gone………

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ouch.!

Grab a beer and chill. Nobody was hurt that’s the main thing.

Harry_the_Spider

Lucky boy!

I wonder how much other stuff has been dropped? 😯

steve_b77
    Free Member

Lucky it was diesel.

have a beer or two and relax, ’tis only a car and you’re fine :mrgreen:

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I got hit by a bit of debis once too – It was one of the little wheels+ axle that holds up an artic trailer when the cabs not attatched. Went under the car and managed to pole vault the best part of 2 tonnes of fully loaded Passat, inc 3 passengers and bikes into the air. Hell of a bang. Snapped the front subfame, anti roll bar, the works clean through. Hate to think what would have happened if it had bounced into the air and through the windscreen! Took out another 3 cars, thankfuly with no injuries.

Lucky guy James!. PITA I know, but you’re in one piece and got sorted out quickly.

CountZero

Jeezus, you were lucky. It worries me sometimes the stuff I see lying in the road, but I don’t do many motorway miles fortunately. Only incident I’ve had was something like a stone flicked up from a box van wheel coming towards me, I saw something briefly before the windscreen exploded in front of me at 60mph. Managed to see to pull off the road and had to punch a hole to see through to drive home. Shook me at the time, but nothing compared to your incident. A good stiff drink is well in order.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’d be glad it didn’t pierce the floorpan and go through your nuts! Lucky boy!

binners

Glad you’re ok fella. Sounds too close for comfort. Get yourself a stiff drink.

I have to confess to losing a rather large piece of metal off the back of the car. A very expensive piece of metal. Two Wheels. Handlebars. That type of thing. In gale force winds and absolutely torrential rain. Lifted it clean off the rack, snapping the retaining straps.

Soon as i realised I phoned the feds, praying nobody had hit it. Someone had. Luckily it was a bloody great big artic. Not much left of the bike 😳

allthepies
    Free Member

Whoa… The important thing is that you are OK. Inanimate objects can be replaced, gangly legged MTB’ers not so easy!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Sounds like you were very lucky! stiff drink needed I think

stumpy01

Blimey!

Sounds like you had a lucky escape. Shame about the car, but pleased you are OK!!

robdob
    Free Member

Glad you are ok. I knew someone in my village who’s friend was killed on a motorway. He was driving an old 7 series and a scrap lorry gearbox dropped off a truck in front. Don’t know the details of the crash that ensued but he was killed instantly.
    I never hang around the back of scrap lorries as you just don’t know what might happen.

CHB

Sounds like you were lucky. I had a similar (but less severe) thing on the A1 near Wetherby four years ago. Hit a lump of wood, bounced around underneath the car and took out half the rear bumper.
    Nice malt whisky and hope the insurance covers it enough.

Best of luck.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I feel your pain. I hit a detached lorry mudguard. A steel one. On the M62 in my first car about 15 years ago. Punctured the fuel tank and I was told I was lucky to have survived that too. Good luck with the insurance.

Bunnyhop

Glad you’re o.k.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lucky escape James.

I remember approaching the Forth Road Bridge when the car in front’s bonnet flipped open, ripped off its hinges and flew over his car and went under my wheels. For a heart stopping second I thought is was coming through my windscreen.

This is pretty grim

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl1cQump_Ls[/video]

cranberry
    Free Member

You walked away uninjured from a crash. Celebrate your good luck.

Steel/plastic/glass simply doesn’t matter when compared to people, but good luck with the insurance as well.

samuri
    Free Member

Blimey. Glad you’re OK James. Sounds terrifying.

And obviously you’re ok which is the important thing but…, but my lens wasn’t in the car was it?

martinxyz
    Free Member

will taking note of the guys name and getting a little note about him finding this under your car help in the future re: insurance claim? just incase they try and pull a swift one by saying you had a crap car and you drive crap and we arent paying you etc ;O)

stucol
    Free Member

Few years back coming down the M77 towards Glasgow there were various bits of dirt and gravel strewn across lane one. The bits were getting bigger as it went on, as these things do. I was thinking “this could get interesting”.
    Sure enough, couple of miles later, a Jag is parked up on the hard shoulder with two flat wheels. That’s flat wheels as well as tyres ! A two foot by one foot slab of rock will have that effect.
    The tipper truck with an unsecured tailgate was stopped by a traffic car a bit further on.
    Just very lucky indeed the Jag did not crash. Scary stuff.

epicyclo

That would have ruined your bike. Lucky you were in the car…

Seriously though if you can walk away, nothing else matters.

Wookster

blimey mate at least you’re ok….may I suggest a cheaper car with the insurance money and a….. thank god I ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! bike purchase with the rest!!!! 8)

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Glad you’re ok, really could’ve been a lot worse. A good friend of mine passed away some years ago due to a crash caused by debris left on the motorway from an earlier accident…

On a lighter note, my missus has had 2 cars written off in the past, and done really well from the insurance payout!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I've just written off my car. :-(’ is closed to new replies.