Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I've just built a Boardman…!
  • Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

So, I was after upgrading the Rock Lobster Team Tig SL and fancied a move to FS for the first time. The RL had some decent kit on it so was only looking to upgrade the frame.

Stuck a wanted ad on the classifieds and was offered a couple of frames including a Boardman Team FS. Seems to get decent reviews for the quality of the frame as well as the spec so £150 quid or so later it arrived.

Built up with the kit off the RL made it a cheap project but also upgraded the hoses on my Hope Mono Minis to braided, a Jagwire gear cable set to match and a blingy Ritchey Carbon headset and it's ready to go…

First ride this morning and despite not having a great deal to compare it to I'm very impressed. Traction on loose climbs is greatly improved over the hardtail and some rocky chutes on the way down were a lot easier – off the brakes and float over rather than trying to control a back end pinging around… I've read some reports that the back end can be a little flexy but didn't notice anything adverse today.

pablojm
    Free Member

Looks very nice!

shermer75
    Free Member

Sweet build for naff all money- nice one! 🙂

montylikesbeer

hats off, looks nice

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Wow, no garage door slagging, no beeing pulled up on the misaligned tyres (only noticed after I posted the pics) and no one has mentioned Halfords?

This place is going soft…!

tommytowtruck

Looks classy, I like it!

bigsi
    Free Member

Whats with the brown saddle, grips and stay guard. Spoils an otherwide nice looking build. Oh and i would sort out that front brake hose before it catches on something 🙄

Sorry, just had to restore the balance 😉

the-muffin-man

Looks good – Will you be changing the second part of your forum name now!?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Nice, that frame looks well tidy for £150. Nice to see older-skool xtr rear mech too 🙂

Stan_Dingup – Member

Wow, no garage door slagging, no beeing pulled up on the misaligned tyres (only noticed after I posted the pics) and no one has mentioned Halfords?

This place is going soft…!

well, if you really insist….. I would have the grips on the other way up so you grip the raised crisscrossy bits with the ends of your fingers.

tron
    Free Member

Is the Rock Lobster for sale?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good choice, looks nice. Boardmans put a lot of niche/expensive frames to shame.

angryratio
    Free Member

Nice.. enjoy riding it.

Tiger6791

Just remeber to keep tightening the pivot bolts. Mine seem to need the odd nip up

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

Front hose length is as short as possible while still being able to remove the brake lever from the bars without removing the caliper.

As to the forum name, comes from when I used to sell a load of windsurfing gear on ebay in a previous job – windsurfers do it Stan_Dingup – geddit?

JW, I thought about which way up the grips should go but the raised criss-crossy bit is actuall domed in the middle on these Superstar grips and falls into the palm of the hand really nicely.

Tron, sorry mate the RL frame is being built back up for less gnarly rides and for towing my baby daughter round the New Forest in her trailer once I get hold of a cheap but decent fork and some brakes. I have an old LX group set knocking about along with some other bits and pieces from the parts box. I do have a Dirty Jo 15" kicking about in excellent nick if that's any use though?

Finally, thanks for the tip Tiger. I stripped the suspension apart before I built up the Boardman and put threadlock on all the pivot bolts so hopefully it will hold together, but I'll keep an eye on it…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I've just built a Boardman…!’ is closed to new replies.