Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ive installed a star fangled nut wonky, is this a problem.
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

Using a methods found on the web, today i installed a star fangled nut in to a set of rockshox pike.

the SFN went in slightly off center but once the rest of the headset is installed you wouldnt know.

I have another SFN so should i try again with that or will the wonky one be ok?

Im thinking that there may be too much stress on the bolt as its at an angle.

Jamie
    Free Member

This is why I take the almighty hit of paying a LBS a fiver to fit mine for me. Just easier, but if I had it done more than once every 3-4 years or so, I’d buy the special tool for a tenner 😀

To answer your question, though, I wouldn’t be happy with a wonky one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Once you’ve applied the preload and clamped on the stem you can just loosen off the bolt (or even take the top cap off altogether) as it’s not doing anything at that point. So probably not a problem if it’s wonky.

hairyscary

The bolt/top cap are only needed to load the bearing, so it doesn’t matter if it’s a bit sqiunt.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Put an old top cap on the bolt, tighten it with an Allen key so that it clamps wonkily against the steerer, whack it with a hammer, star fangled nut is now straight. Bin or keep the old top cap.
    Wonkily cut, raggy steerers and dodgy angled star fangled nuts are to be embraced, if you ask me.

righog
    Free Member

The bolt/top cap are only needed to load the bearing, so it doesn’t matter if it’s a bit sqiunt.

I have a squint one on one of my bikes, cant remember which one, none have any problems so I am guessing you will be fine.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Did that myself a few years back. Couldn’t get the bloody thing out for love not money, ride it for years, rest of the bike fell apart but headset totally sound

backtothetop
    Free Member

Ill stop worrying and start riding then, cheers

I’d be more worried about my own failings as a man than a wonky SFN if I were you 😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

My heads wonky, like stupendously wonkiferous. I could probably use it to straighten up your wonky mclonky SFN!

PiknMix
    Free Member

I could probably stretch to press fit bb’s too.

haggis1978

If you own a socket set try finding a socket with the right size of outer diameter to fit in the steerer and then just chap it down, this should straighten it up. But as said before i doesnt really matter

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ive installed a star fangled nut wonky, is this a problem.’ is closed to new replies.