Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I've inherited this 90s TT frame + fork.. but what to do with it?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

This was recently given to me. It’s a late-90s Scott triathlon / TT set up that runs 650c wheels (i.e. 26 inch??). I’m thinking I might turn it into a commuter hack with odds and sods lying about and I’m pretty sure some old 26er MTB rims will fit in there okay? ..so I’ve just got to find some roadie hubs to go with them and fit thin 26 inch slicks. Any other ideas…?

njee20
    Free Member

650c isn’t 26″ (571mm vs 559mm), you may get the brakes to line up, but they’re not the same.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you have a purpose for it I’m sure you can get it going, but don’t do so for the sake of it.

You’ll struggle to find mudguards for it I suspect, and fit them.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Mudguards – pah! 😉

Brakes must be able to take up 12mm rim size difference though? Which wheel size is the bigger one I wonder? :goes off to check Sheldon Brown:

thomthumb
    Free Member

will a TT frame have clearance for bigger wheels? some are V tight.

njee20
    Free Member

650c is bigger.

Sounds like you’re building it for the sake of it, by the time you’re building wheels and what not it’s not really worth it IMO.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yeah… true… but I kinda like building wheels.. have the bits lying about… and like the idea of creating some sort of frankenbike monstrosity. I’ve even considered fitting the spare Rebas I have lying about to boing-i-fy the front end.. 😀

bikeneil
    Free Member

billytinkle
    Free Member

Sheldon does have an article for converting to 700c to 650b, so I’d imagine some of that will apply going from 650b to 26″.

If you go 26″ you’ll probably find enough room to fit guards if you want them. I think Sheldon also mentioned BMX brakes having the additional adjustment to compensate for the wheel size difference.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Oooohhhh BMX brakes… should be cheep on eBay and in lots of hideous colours too… 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I've inherited this 90s TT frame + fork.. but what to do with it?’ is closed to new replies.