Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ive had an idea. Is it as good as I think
  • Stoner
    Free Member

You can test my idea:

Problem: listening to Money Box on R4 podcast the other day and there was an article about a problem with Paypal/eBay seller security when the item is collected in person. Regardless of whether it’s paid for in cash or paypal, because there’s no proof of delivery by a postal service, then there is no seller protection. Buyers can “scam” a goods not supplied refund to their paypal account and sellers have no evidence they handed the goods over.

Solution: On completion of buying an item, if the buyer chooses “collect in person” they are issued with a 4 digit code. They then give that code to the seller, in person when they collect the item, who then enters the 4 digit code into their My Ebay page to confirm that the item has been handed over. If the buyer does not give the seller the code, then it’s on the seller’s head whether they want to proceed.

I think that would be dead easy to instigate and I cant see any flaws in it. Can you?

mintimperial

Sounds like a great idea to me. Only flaw is that it would require eBay/Paypal to give more than 0.5% of a **** about their customers, which they don’t.

I’ve stopped using Paypal/eBay after being ripped off by scumbags one time too many. Wish there were decent alternative ways of flogging stuff that don’t require getting stiffed by an unscrupulous monopoly.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It is a good idea, I like it.

emsz
    Free Member

Problem: listening to Money Box on R4

solution, stop listening to radio4? It is the dullest thing in the world.

stumpyjon

It is a good idea but I don’t think Ebay want to encourage face to face meetings as that has potential to reduce PayPal revenue (they lose the postage cost transaction fee at the very least).

Major flaw as above

it would require eBay/Paypal to give more than 0.5% of a **** about their private sellers

IHN

It is the dullest thing in the world.

Depends if you find varied, intelligent and informed broadcasting dull I suppose.

A simpler solution is probably for the buyer to ask the seller to sign a form confirming reciept. Do two copies, you both sign both copies and keep one each. KISS 😉

Kryton57

Its ok for ebay as a process, but what about STW classifieds? 😀

Any how will you convince ebay etc to code the software for the process without passing the cost onto the seller / buyer?

cynic-al
    Free Member

emsz – Member

Wait 20 years…

Stoner
    Free Member

A simpler solution is probably for the buyer to ask the seller to sign a form confirming reciept

buyer can deny signing/sign with fabricated sig etc.

The code can be entered there and then as a check. If it isnt approved when entering into the ebay site then the seller can withold the item.

SaxonRider

Posted 12 minutes ago # Report-Post
    emsz – Member

Sorry, emsz. I normally appreciate your posts,* but this one is just wrong. 🙁

I can’t even phone my parents anymore, because they’re working on their house and have Radio 2 playing constantly in the background. All that faux-jollity and inane music makes my head hurt.

Even Moneybox Live is better than Chris Evans.

EDIT: *Except when you suggested my forum name reminded you of a heavy metal band!

wallop

Radio 4 is ace. It is both calming and hilarious, depending on what time you are listening.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Yea, sorry emsz but we have all turned into our parents. I will only listen to R4 and ClassicFM now, everthing else is just ‘ollocks or annoying.

And some of the ‘cool new’ TV comedy often started out on R4.

*Edit: Oh and OP, good plan but it falls down on needing a modicum of intelligence or common sense, which most ebayers dont seem to have. You can imagine “ive come ridiculously far to collect the cabbage patch doll I won and paid for to save £2 postage, ‘what is your code’, oh I dont have it, was I supposed to bring it wiv’ me or summit?…….”*

**2nd Edit – Not the Archers, I hate the Archer it should be banned to Radio 3 or something**

emsz
    Free Member

I know, it’s just ‘not for me’ is it? Mnd you my gf insists on listening to the Archers I think she secretly podcasts it the saddo!!

Hate Tom Archer dunno why he’s just slime ha ha!

Garry_Lager

That is a good idea. Would depend on how big a problem people being scammed in this way is.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think a 17 yr old boy has spammed Emsz’s account.

kcr
    Free Member

Buyer simply has to claim that they provided the code but the seller refused to hand over the goods?
    Back to square one.

The difference with proof of postage is that you have a third party between the seller and buyer who independently verifies that something was posted by the the seller to the buyer.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think that’s less likely kcr.
    it would probably need to involve some threat (dont forget youd be face to face when this happens) which then takes you beyond fraud and into menaces etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“independently verifies that something was posted by the the seller to the buyer”

key word there is something ….. doesnt have to be the right thing !

ourmaninthenorth

As with all issues, the only way to truly resolve them (in a legal manner) is to go to court.

So, a code not dealt with or a receipt signed but denied all go the same way: a tipsy old judge, bored out of his mind, tells both claimant and defendant to “MTFU and sort it aaaaht”.

(Can you tell I’ve never been a litigator? 😉 )

stgeorge

Get paid in cash from buyer and give a receipt. Paypal cannot refund money to buyer as no payment was made through Paypal.

mintimperial

Nevermind, ignore me… 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Get paid in cash from buyer and give a receipt. Paypal cannot refund money to buyer as no payment was made through Paypal.

obviously, but this is a solution to the problem of lack of paypal protection on paypal paid-for goods that are collected. I admit its a niche, but one that ought to be covered as paypal claim that it is there for party protection.

loum
    Free Member

OP, not a bad idea.
    One flaw – the people that lie about recieving goods are as likely to lie and give the wrong code.
    Then it becomes just another layer of complexity in trying to resolve the problem.

TBH, its probablly easier (and less likely to have criminal consequences) to lie, and then later claim a mistake, when giving a four digit code than to lie about actually not recieving the goods.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just butting in here. Are talking about goods that are paid for with PP but collected.
    WTF would anyone do that? urely cash on collection is the prefect way of dealing

Stoner
    Free Member

If you lie about the four digit code you will get found out there and then if the seller tries to enter the code online to verify it. As a process it wouldn’t be mandatory but a seller could insist on it for his own protection

Matt – if the buyer pays Instantly by paypal he can still choose to pick up the goods if he wants to. And he is protected by paypal for doing so

willard

Seriously, it sounds like a damned good idea. When you consider that most people have phones, an e-mail with the code on would work, as would printing out a “collection receipt” or something with the address on and the code.

You drive to seller with his address and the code on the buyer’s equivalent of the dispatch note and do the deal. Simples.

Get it built and make your fortune.

(by the way, those ideas above make me eligible for a cut if you do get bought out and earn a fortune)

Oh, and Radio 4 is ace. Apart from the Archers. Which is *bleep*

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ive had an idea. Is it as good as I think’ is closed to new replies.