• This topic has 25 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by st.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I've found a new way to store my bike spares [PICS]
  • Alex

Ran out of space in the spares drawers. A lot of this is from selling my 29er HT earlier this year as “I really am done with hardtails”

My position has softened somewhat 😉 I decided rather than buying a cheap cardboard box to store these bits, I’d buy a cheap frame instead from a very nice fella on this forum

Gave it a quick polish last night and stuck the wheels in this morning to ensure the quoted standover height was going to cause any kind of ‘love spud’ painful interface. But all seems well.

I’ll finish it tonight. It’s going to cost me about £400 all in. That’s quite an expensive cardboard box I’ll grant you, but I get a bike out of it. Don’t think it’ll get ridden much before winter, but it’s another bike. And more bikes can never be a bad thing.

And I’ve got room for more spares… 🙂

wwaswas

your rug’s looking a bit creased.

Alex

🙂 I wish I still had enough rug to crease!

chambord
    Free Member

It is better than my only bike 😥

wombat

I can identify all the parts in the 1st picture (I particularly like the Stunt Pegs 😉 ) apart from the upright cylinder in the middle, where on the bike does that go?

Alex

I dunno but it is a good fitting for an umbrella that’s just out of shot. I might rig that up 🙂

Northwind

Your spares are as ridiculously nice as mine, good work!

(don’t think you’re supposed to clamp a reverb by the stanchion though)

cyclistm
    Free Member

Fool, there’s a cardboard box in the background you could have used, you’d be £400 up

Alex

They are my ‘good spares’. There’s a whole heap of rotting metal buried in the back of the shed whuch represents the rest. You know the kind of thing, 4 broken 9 speed mechs you dare not throw away ‘just in case’

In only clamped the reverb for a min to take a pic. If I wasn’t such a shortar$e in the leg department, I have enough outer post to clamp!

I can’t believe I missed that box. Ah well, too late now 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

….. & I thought it was just me that kept knackered rear mechs………….

Northwind

My big step forward was adding a scrap metal bin to the garage- I had tons of stuff that I couldn’t bring myself to throw in the bin, but which I’d obviously never use again, now all the alu parts go in the scrap bin. Not that I’ve ever actually weighed it in but it still feels one step up from the bin, isn’t as irritating as having to rake through your 7-speed shifters to find the bits you actually want, and saves a ton of space. And is even virtuous, because it’s recycling innit.

Alex

That’s not a bad idea. I have no idea what a harvest of the ‘box of doom’ might bring forth. I do know that unless I live to be 400 years old, I shall never run out of grips. I seem to have about 20 half used ones scattered around the shed. I’ve no idea how I’ve amassed so many!

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks good, I think you’re gonna like riding it too.

Alex

Quick ride after we’d finished building it would suggest so 🙂 That fork is complicated… zero documentation from Marz, thankfully a bit more on the web. Take a while to tune I think. Otherwise all good, ride it tomorrow in the rain, first HT ride for a year or so. I expect it’ll be illuminating 😉

lunge

That looks lovely that, cracking spares build.

Wheels and more importantly, forks, that’s the point the spares box starts to become a spare bike for me. You/I will always have mechs, saddles, seatposts and stems sat around, that’s a given. You may also have cranks and brakes, I certainly have but it’s not until the forks and the wheels that it really feels like it’s bike time.

Alex

Thanks. I only had a 34T NW and reckon it’ll be too manly for me especially in the Malverns with a 36T rear (running 32T/40 on my 650B FS!). So expect the double’ll go back on for winter. Still that’d mean another go at the internal cabling *Shudders*

I still have another set of brakes, cranks, saddles etc but as you say you only tend to keep one set of spares of the big ticket items. I’ve sold so many sets of forks and wheels ‘because I didn’t need them’ for bog all cash. And then paid more to replace them. From now on I shall hoard based on what the outcome is 🙂

I wrote a thing about it: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=3425

Right then off for a ride!

FOG

Not only do I have a healthy collection of knackered mechs but I seem to have collected a pile of 26 specific parts after my fs died. I still have a 26er but mainly use the 29er ensuring I will have enough bits , tyres in particular , to take the 26″ into the next century and yes I know that’s 85 years away

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

That is a nice build, lovely colour. Good to see another Malvern man too.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Lovely build Alex,from the title I thought you had some magical box-like storage set-up,but this is better. Enjoy!?

epicyclo

Ah, thanks Alex.

Now I can tell my wife it’s not a case of me having “too many” bikes, but that I have adopted the Alex Parts Storage System – that’s not a bike frame, that’s a parts rack!

Alex

I’m starting a revolution. You have nothing to lube but your chains 🙂

Well back from a fun ride. All good, survived the jumps and even a crack at one of the FOD DHs on the way back. And in the pub for a beer before the rain. The FOD seems to be rootier that I remember it tho!

Apparently the Stache is meant to have G2 geometry with a special fork built with an offset. Obviously those 2011 Marz don’t have it. Can’t say I noticed!

@sundaytrucker – have I seen you on the hills? What are you riding? I might be out on the Trek but it’ll be with some lower gear ratios…

sundaytrucker
    Free Member

@Alex – I haven’t been up the hills, other than for a quick blast, for a while as I tend to drive to FOD . Currently I am riding a Voodoo Bizango until I can fund a Solaris or Sherpa build. I will keep my eyes peeled for the Trek next time I am wheezing my way around the Malverns.

Alex

@ST – it’s more likely to be my Aeris… Locally I tend to ride about 50/50 Malverns/FOD. More Malverns in the sloppy months. Just don’t ride up there when it’s going to be busy. I rode my Solaris lots up in the Malverns and it was good fun. Probably should never have sold it… still meant I got to build something new.

Alex

And my mate Haydn even got a picture of me riding…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/uGJcEJ]DSC_000007[/url] by big_hpr, on Flickr

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Christ, Al. Do you dress yourself ? Tell me………….so whats your favourite colour ? 😀

st

Bought from Slackman99 I presume? If so it started life as mine. Great bike and I recently picked up another (only to then go for a 29er full sus, d’oh!)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I've found a new way to store my bike spares [PICS]’ is closed to new replies.