• This topic has 46 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mmel.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Ive finally done it! Anyone fancy checking it over before I waste £1K? Please!
  • bobbyg81
    Free Member

After much deliberation Ive decide on A Ragley Blue pig.

Heres the spec

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Basket.aspx?Top=true

Handlebars, brakes and pedals I have already, The cheap wheels are to get me by till I flog the Rockhopper and save a bit more cash.

How have I done?

druidh
    Free Member

That link is to your basket. No one else can see it.

Duffer
    Free Member

You should get an On-One instead… 😉

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Im a tit. I thought that might be the case but tried anyway.

Ragley Blue Pig 18″(orange)
    Rock Shox Sektor RL Coil Forks 2011(white)
    Shimano Deore Chainset 9sp M590
    Shimano Deore Cassette 9 Speed HG50
    Shimano Deore Shifters 9sp M590
    Shimano Deore Front Mech Top Swing 9sp M590
    Shimano Deore Rear Mech Shadow 9sp M592
    FSA Orbit XLII Cartridge Headset(black)
    Ragley Stubbing Stem(black)
    Shimano HG73 Chain 9 Speed
    Ragley Logo Lock On Grip(black)

jota180
    Free Member

Is the whole groupset any cheaper from the likes of Rose and other EU retailers

Are the brakes the correct fitment for the forks?

Cheezpleez

Nice. You’ll have fun with that. Seatpost?

bruneep

Is the whole groupset any cheaper from the likes of Rose and other EU retailers

if it is go XT

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Its cheaper here. Only £163. The forks are post mount im sure, I will double check though.

The whole build is only £891.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Thanks Cheezpleez.

I have a seatpost that’ll fit. I was concerned about the headset fitting so i picked the same one as they out on the Blue Pig X7 build. I hope! 😕

jota180
    Free Member

fork steerer the correct standard for the frame?

bobbyg81
    Free Member

You’ve got me ther jota180!

jota180
    Free Member

are the forks straight or tapered? – same Q for the frame head tube

br
    Free Member

It’ll be quite heavy with that build.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80275

Im not sure about the fork.

It says this about the frame

With the advent of tapered steerer forks, and the
    popularity of 1.5in forks for hardcore riders, steel frames
    were getting left behind. No more – with Ragley’s
    adoption of the 44mm headset standard, allowing use
    of headsets from Cane Creek, Nukeproof and others you
    can now fit those modern forks on steel hardtails. With
    the right headset, this frame can take a 1.125in, tapered
    or 1.5in fork. We recommend Nukeproof headset
    models – 44IESS (standard), 44IETS (tapered) or 44EEOS
    (1.5in steerer).

jota180
    Free Member

forks will be fine with the 44IESS headset

khani
    Free Member

This is a good deal for a better groupset, I’ve used em to get a hilow seatpost and they were good, and take Paypal
    http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Components/Groupsets/Shimano-SLX-660-10-Komplettgruppe-3×10-fach::28904.html

jota180
    Free Member

not sure on that headset
    ask Brant/Ragley

bobbyg81
    Free Member

I will do. Thanks for your help jota.

khani. How long was delivery from them> Are you in the UK?

khani
    Free Member

Delivered my hilo to Essex in three days, and I know a few other lads had the same service for various other bits too, all good! 😀

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Ive just changed the headset to this Nukeproof warhead. Better safe than sorry.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55503

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Thanks Khani. That another £25 spent! 🙂

khani
    Free Member

😆 have fun!!…

neninja
    Free Member

I can’t see any brakes on your shopping list.

You can get the newer Deore 10 speed groupset including brakes and discs for £230 from Merlin Cycles

Edit – Doh just re-read your first post.

A mate got a groupset from Action Sports and it arrived in only a few days.

jota180
    Free Member

I can’t see any brakes on your shopping list.

He said in the OP – he already has them

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Not to be a massive jerk and confuse you at this late stage, but a blue pig seems so far away from the Canyon bikes you were looking at and the piglet to an extent.
    Wouldn’t have thought that a blue pig would be much fun for road work, as you stated in your last post that this bike was going to do a bit of. The slack head angle won’t make this that suitable and also will feel very different from your old bike. Of course again it will do road miles, anything can but the slack head angle will make it feel more of a chore.
    Hopefully will turn out fine, what ever you go with, but might be worth thinking really hard about if your riding/the riding you want to do really does match the bike. And getting a quick ride on a bike with a slack angled head tube before you press “buy”.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

those forks were £200 a while ago. I suspect they may be reduced again
    also these were £300 so the same might happen.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FORSREVRLTDA-BLK-ML15-CR-118/rockshox_revelation_rlt_dual_air_150mm_suspension_fork___black___15mm_maxle___crown_adjust___1_1_8

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeah – at least got SLX – deore is a bit pants (with regards to lifetime)

hora
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t spend 1k on a Ragley. **** awful quality.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

single ring all the way.

BadlyWiredDog

I thought the Mk1 Pig I owned was excellent quality at the price. I’ve not really looked at a Mk2 up close up, so I can’t really comment, but a fairly discerning mate of mine has one and hasn’t mentioned quality as an issue. Another friend runs a Piglet which again seems pretty damn good for the money. I’ve used their stems and bars and they’ve all been fine for me. And my current Ragley is lovely.

I would happily spend £1K on a Blue Pig. It’s an incredibly effective bit of kit and light years away from most of the dull, identikit, off-the-shelf trail hardtails you’d get for the same money. I think people forget just how unusual the geometry is and how well the frames work.

I’d guess the bike’ll weigh something north of 30lb in that build, which’ll either worry you or not.

iainc

bobbyg – looks like a sensible build that you will have much fun with on the Fife trails. Lots of potential for tweaking it if you need to

jota180
    Free Member

He’s not though is he?
    He’s buying a bunch of parts for a grand inc a frame, if he doesn’t like it – it not a big issue or cost to swap it

hora
    Free Member

I know but I’d rather spend that much money on something else. You wouldn’t but a B1 fullsuspension bike even if it was dripping in XX and keep it built that way or enjoy it…

sefton
    Free Member

I found Merlin cycles to be the cheapest for almost all parts (then further discount when you go to checkout) when I bought all the bits for my wifes bike

flange
    Free Member

Ignore Hora, he’s a tool and knows nothing

Looks a pretty good build. If they’re your standard bars off the Rockhopper I’d maybe look to stretch the budget and get some decent width ones. Its amazing the difference a set of nice bars make, I’ve always got on well with Eastons and Sunline but its personal choice. Maybe go to your LBS so you can try for size. Tyres are another consideration – if you’re on the standard Speccy ones, something from the Shwalbe or Maxxis stable will make a big difference. And new tyres on a new build always look better when you’re taking photos…

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Thanks for all the contributions. Well its done and I just have to wait for delivery.

I went for the SLX groupset. It ended up only £17 more than Deore. Well chuffed with that. Thanks to Khani for the heads up!

It should end up a bit like this….

If it does Ill be over the moon. From all the advice and reviews Ive read I think it is gooing to be a fun bike to ride. If it’s not too great on the road I wont mind too much. It’ll just help me get fitter! 🙂

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Thanks Flange.

Ive got a set of Nobby Nics to go on it and the bars are white FSA Maximus. Theyre the perfect width for me.

hora
    Free Member

Ignore Hora, he’s a tool and knows nothing

So you are saying the numerous complaints on finish and quality should be ignored? Or is that part of ‘knows nothing’? I’m guessing you own one and your currently crying into your Latte at the injustice to the brand that you perceive? There there dear. 😆

flange
    Free Member

o you are saying the numerous complaints on finish and quality should be ignored? Or is that part of ‘knows nothing’? I’m guessing you own one and your currently crying into your Latte at the injustice to the brand that you perceive? There there dear

WTF would I want a long travel slack head angle hardtail for? You’re just bitter because the cheap bars you bought weren’t perfect and thus have classed all Ragley stuff as rubbish.

He’s not spending a grand on a frame, he’s spending a grand on a complete bike, with decent forks and an SLX groupset. For that sort of money, if the paint flakes off who cares..

Your comparisons with the B1 stuff is entirely irrelevant, as per most of your posts.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Ive finally done it! Anyone fancy checking it over before I waste £1K? Please!’ is closed to new replies.