• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by huws.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I've bought a stupid car (carrying bikes question)
  • huws
    Free Member

After months of (lazily) hunting for huge estates and medium 4×4’s for bike carrying duties, I’ve just come home with an implulse bought 1996 Saab 900 convertible. I’ve managed to put one bike in it so far, vertically behind the front seats. But this isn’t going to cut the mustard when it starts to rain. So how can I carry bikes on/in/around? I’m hoping a saris bones will fit. Anyone tried?

Thanks

jam-bo

Towbar.

You are a tard………… 😉

BoardinBob

Essentially it’s a saloon with a convertible roof so you’ll get a boot mounted carrier on there

keyses2

My other half has a 900 convertible, i can get a bike on the back seat with wheels off or i can get my patriot in the boot with wheels off, bars off and one shock mount bolt removed so the frame packs smaller. A Saris Bones rack does fit as i use a 2 bike version of one when i cant get the bikes in the car.

supertramp
    Free Member

even if it is difficult to fit your bikes in, it is still a cool car – well done 😉

Cougar

Plug your car’s details into http://www.roofbox.co.uk and it’ll tell you what options will fit.

This forum really needs a Frequently Answered Questions file.

huws
    Free Member

TAFKASTR, indeed I am.
    Jam bo, tow bar and bike rack would probably cost more than the car so I’m trying not to go down this route.
    Keyses2, perfect.
    Supertramp, cheers dude.
    Cougar, tried that already, details plugged in and no results.

Cougar

… Tow bar, then.

samuri
    Free Member

it is still a cool car – well done

If you like looking like a mouse, sure.

huws
    Free Member

It looks much worse than that.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Scuttle shake!

oddjob
    Free Member

As above, tow bar mounted rack

robob
    Free Member

as above scuttle shake!

huws
    Free Member

The car only cost £1k so I don’t really want to spend anything on it (like fitting a towbar) until I know it’s not going to explode in a ball of badly maintained engine, suspension and brakes.

And for the scuttle shake haters, if that’s the worst thing to happen I’ll be very happy.

Keyses2, does your OH’s one have a spoiler on the back? I’ve just noticed mine does and it’s quite large and could interfere with a rack. I think it might be time to try and find one to try out.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Do you dress hair for a living.?

5lab

don’t saab convertibles of this age have a problem with the bulkhead splitting? might be worth checking that out (I think you can get a kit to sort it out – there was something on wheeler dealers about it)

huws
    Free Member

Not for a living, just a passing interest in layering, feathering and fringes

It recently had the steering rack replaced (the cause of the bulkhead splitting) so I’m hoping that it would have been picked up then if there was a problem.

verses

I found the boot mounted racks (Saris included) to be a pain to fit. Too many straps to fasten and check and recheck which takes ages and after doing that the bikes still wobble about worryingly on the back.

Towbar racks are the way forward, fit in seconds and are solid 🙂

boobs

have the front springs snapped yet? 😥

molgrips
    Free Member

Rear mounted racks are more faff but should be solid. I’ve had cheap crappo ones and they were solid. What you have to do is tighten up the straps, put the bikes on and then tighten them up again.

keyses2

huws – yeah it does have a spoiler on the back and it still fits, could do you a pic of it if you want to see how it looks on

huws
    Free Member

What you have to do is tighten up the straps, put the bikes on and then tighten them up again

I’ve had a cheapo one before (in the 90’s) and that plan ended up with me waiting for autoglass to come and fit a new rear window. 🙁

yeah it does have a spoiler on the back and it still fits, could do you a pic of it if you want to see how it looks on

If you’ve got a photo that would be great, don’t trouble yourself too much though. I’ve just found out a friend at work is selling a saris bones 3 cheap so I’ll see if I can borrow it for a test run.

cynic-al
    Free Member

neilsonwheels – Member
    Do you dress hair for a living.? I’ve got a Focus and am too inadequate to buy a car that’s actually fun cos people might laugh at me.

FTFY

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can someone post up the pic of me in the midget in the rain?

Since then I’ve figured out how to get the roof on too 🙂 And thats in a 2 seater!

Wheels off, seatpost out.

Headrest off passenger seat.

Spin bars/forks rouns 180deg, forks over the passenger seat into the back, handlebar pokes out of the top of the window (wind it down first), wheel either side. Put roof up.

Only works for 100mm forked hardtails in the midget, the 456 wouldn’t go.

huws
    Free Member

Suddenly I feel I may have bought a sensible, practical car.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As for the hairdresser comment…………

Those of us with a sense of adventure/fun and not so much care about others oppinions just assume that everyone who drives a tin top is actualy a photocopier salesman :p

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“5lab – Member

don’t saab convertibles of this age have a problem with the bulkhead splitting? might be worth checking that out (I think you can get a kit to sort it out – there was something on wheeler dealers about it)”

with the engine running and the car stationary, try turning the steering wheel side to side and if the pedals move slightly side to side then you may have bulkhead issues. Also do the same and have someone watch the steering rack (with the bonnet up) to see if it is moving side to side (steering rack is mounted directly to the bulkhead).

allthepies
    Free Member

Saab ? Aren’t parts priced as if were made from platinum ?

mav12
    Free Member

look for a towbar on ebay srarch by location my last two cost a fiver each ig you get a witter go on thete website they will have fitting instructions

ive just got 2 bikes in the back of a beetle convertable

huws
    Free Member

To all the people saying the bulkhead was going to crack and the springs were going to snap. In your faces. It was the fuel pump failing that left me stranded on the side of the road.

Stupid car is stupid.

Oh well I’m sure it’ll be the first of many failures, at least I’ll look suave and sophisticated (like Nigel Havers) while waiting for the AA.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I've bought a stupid car (carrying bikes question)’ is closed to new replies.