Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I’ve bought a dh frame! Now help me spec it please…
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve done something a bit rash. I’ve gone and bought myself a Specialized Big Hit frame with the intention of trying out DH on the cheap.

Couldn’t resist it at £350 new with a DHX 3 coil, a pretty good price even though it’s small and the ’07 model.

Initially the spec will be as follows, welcome comments or suggestions…

Fork: Fox 36 Talas (borrowed from my Reign)

Wheels: Hope Pro 2/819 front wheel, XT/719 rear (also borrowed from Reign)

Brakes: Juicy 3

Gears: Deore

Cranks: Evolve XC with bash, single 32t ring (or buy something sturdier?)

Headset: I’m thinking Pig DH pro, been impressed with these before.

BB: Shimano Deore level probably

Seatpost: Giant A5 off my Trance

Stem: Holzfeller 40mm

Bars: EA50 685mm low rise

Pedals: Wellgo flats

Tyres: High Roller 2.5 dual ply 3C

Saddle: WTB Rocket V

Chain device: Your suggestions please

Anything in there wildly inappropriate and likely to lead to injury or death?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I’d imagine the 36’s will be too short and they’ll make the h.a steeper than it should be by a few degrees. Coming off the reign you might not notice but I’d say the BigHit is supposed to be a few degrees slacker at least. On a budget RS Domains would work well there or Travis 180’s.

Leave the cranks as they are, xc cranks will be fine unless you find yourself getting into it more. Chainguide wise I’d go for an E13 Lg with taco.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Juicy 3’s – will they be able to stop you quickly enough?

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

Yeah I’d agree with this dude, You are going to want better brakes than juicy 3’s all that weight it going to take some stopping once it gets up to speed.

chakaping
    Free Member

They spec the juicy 3s on some of the complete DH bikes I was looking at, so I guess they’ll do – I probably won’t be going at light speed anyway!

The guy in the shop thought the 36s would be a good match with the frame in shorter travel mode (it has adjustable geometry apparently).

Was thinking Domain if I saw a cheap 180mm one – or start with the 36 and if I get into it, maybe the new Boxxer when it comes out.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

All those parts will be fine, the only things I would change would be the forks for some dual crowns to slack the head angle out a bit, and probably the rear wheel for something a bit stronger.

The 719/819 should be able to cope but if your not too smooth and just want to have a go at battering your way through stuff then I would look to get something stronger on the back, save the light wheels for the reign.

Juicy 3’s will be fine with some big discs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

older style 888’s (later the better, better dampers and lower crowns)

MrAgreeable

That sounds like a lot of fun, and will make for quite a light build.

You’ll need to cut down the seatpost as it has an interrupted tube design, so get a cheap one.

Chain guides: get a single ring specific one with top and bottom rollers. Be aware that there are some fitting issues with specific guides and frames – maybe have a look at the one that Spesh specced on complete bikes?

Forks: you might find the BB a bit low with those, some 7″ ones will suit it better.

Over time I’d change the cranks for something a bit beefier, and fit a 36T ring. They should be fine for dabbling though.

Vortexracing

I had one of those, and I agree the fork is too short.

I had a 66sl (170mm) on mine but a 888 200mm woud be spot on.

An early 66 with a tall crown may also be OK. 170mm but axle to crown is quite large on the earlier ones. 580mm ish IIRC.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

If you’re running the Bighit in shorter travel mode with 160mm forks is it really going to be much different from the reign with 160mm forks? If you can get your hands on some 2006 or 2007 888s then it would really sort the bike out and allow you to plow through the rough stuff.

Vortexracing
    I had one of those, and I agree the fork is too short.

I had a 66sl (170mm) on mine but a 888 200mm woud be spot on.

An early 66 with a tall crown may also be OK. 170mm but axle to crown is quite large on the earlier ones. 580mm ish IIRC.

05 66’s (170mm) versions come up just short of the 888s in axle to crown height.

DM52
    Free Member

The Highroller 3C’s I am sure are ace however you could run with the cheaper Slow Reezay front and Super Tacky rear highrollers if you wish to save a few bob.

If you haven’t already perhaps a set of 5.10’s, body armour (shin and knee pads as a bare minimum), full face lid and goggles / glasses.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Slow Reezay are overkill. Super taky is plenty of grip for virtually any conditions. If you aren’t getting enough grip with those then look at wet screams, not softer HRs.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

You must have moved on from that hospital visit after Mabie…..

After that day i would have thought road cycling presented a challenge.

Only joking, it could have happened to anyone

chakaping
    Free Member

Already got the tyres, certainly wouldn’t have paid retail but got a good deal off the classifieds here.

Also already have full face, armour, pads and plan to buy five tens next weekend.

Anyone recommend some good, reasonably priced shorts with hip protection?

Gnargnar – It won’t be different in travel to Reign, but I’m assuming it’ll be a lot slacker and with a more rearward weight bias.

But if the fork feels wrong straight away (or I spot a bargain or get a swap for my Rev in the meantime) – I’ll get a longer fork.

Already leaning toward the new Boxxer – but even the Race model is a lot to spend before I’ve really tried DH properly (and also not actually on sale yet).

hora
    Free Member

Sell me the Fox 36 Talas and buy some longer forks to suit? markhoracekuk@yahoo.com

chakaping
    Free Member

You must have moved on from that hospital visit after Mabie…..

Well, I wear knee pads now – can’t vouch for my riding skills. I should build this bike up and ride it round Mabie just to be on the safe side.

A couple of us are up in the western Stanes the week of April 20, if you fancy some midweek riding? Staying next to Kirroughtree 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

hora – the 36 is only being borrowed from my Reign – it will expect to have it back.

Have you considered a 2009 Revelation with Maxle? I have one of them for sale. 😉

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I may be able to make that Chakaping. Will come back to you

hora
    Free Member

chakaping? Possibly yes- email me the details. I need some forks for my Chameleon- currently legless and wondering went it will be allowed out next…

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I’m sure the new Boxxer will be a great fork eventually but I’d avoid the first generation as there could well be teething trouble with it. It’s also pretty expensive. You should be able to pick up some 06 888s for around £200, they are bombproof forks, very plush, very stiff. Very simple, very reliable. I wouldnt waste my money on something if I wasnt sure I liked it.

Alternatively you could always try a totem with a spacer on the crown to give it some more height.

Actually what am I saying….sure get the new Boxxer WC, if you dont like it then there’s a chance it’ll surface on the classifieds for me to nab.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure the new Boxxer will be a great fork eventually but I’d avoid the first generation

That’s a very good point.

Are 888s consistently reliable or do they suffer from the same issues as other Marz forks in recent years?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

05,06 and 07 seem pretty much bomb proof in non wc form. If you buy a used older fork off here it’ll probably be just broken in.

chakaping
    Free Member

OK, frame’s arrived (as seen on man bike thread), and the spec has changed a bit – see below.

I have a few more specific questions though:

1. Do I need DH tubes?

2. Should I go for 203mm discs? Juicies should work with any rotors shouldn’t they?

3. Is BB quality important? £35 Deore or £70 Hope (which would probably move to my Trance later)?

* marks denote items already own.

Fork: Domain 318 Coil 180mm (£180 s/h)
    *Wheels: Hope Pro 2/819 front wheel, XT/719 rear (borrowed from Reign)
    *Brakes: Juicy 3
    *Gears: Deore
    *Cranks: Evolve XC with bash, single 36t ring
    Headset: FSA Pig DH pro (£19 off ebay)
    BB: Shimano Deore or Hope (£35 or £70 – can’t decide)
    *Seatpost: Giant A3
    *Stem: Holzfeller 40mm
    *Bars: EA50 685mm low rise
    *Pedals: Wellgo flats
    *Tyres: High Roller 2.5 dual ply 3C
    *Saddle: WTB Speed V
    Chain device: Truvativ Boxguide (£45 off web)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I’ve bought a dh frame! Now help me spec it please…’ is closed to new replies.