Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I've been waiting a while to be able to justify this…….
  • Royston
    Free Member

Avanti: KISS 29, 4130 Cr-Mo with Eccentric BB 33:20
    It’s future will involve a Reba option, Alfine 11 & an 18T when bank account and my legs are strong enough.
    It’s very Fast!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Very nice, I really like that. Couple of things chain looks a bit slack and what’s the tyre clearance like – looks a bit tight at the front, not sure if it’s just the photo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Very nice, mind if I ask how much?

bassspine
    Free Member

sort the chain out or your b0ll0cks will pay for it. DAMHIKIJKOK

wwaswas

lawn edging could do with some attention.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Looks like you probably need a link swapping for a 1/2 link.

Other than that, looks tasty

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cant you just adjust the EBB, or is it as far forward as it can go?

Oh and you fence needs some creosote.

ds3000
    Free Member

Dats real niyse

oxym0r0n

Do you live in NZ or are Avanti available in the UK now? Nice BTW

epicyclo

Snap! Here’s mine

nickf
    Free Member

Epicyclo, that bike has so many ‘wrong’ elements I wouldn’t know where to start!

Each to their own, but your taste and mine are clearly many poles apart.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

Why is there a tendency for people to put the boot in to other people’s bikes? I’ve noticed it in a few threads. It seems strange that when someone posts a pic to say “hey, I’ve got one of those too”, someone should feel compelled to pick at it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

..sorry but I see nothing special about the bike, unless I am missing something?

wwaswas

ssb_UK – there is quite a long tradition of commenting on peoples gardens and choice of brake and gear outer lengths but, generally, most people won’t outright criticise someone elses choice of bike.

epicyclo does seem to have managed to collect a lot of niche products together in one place, though. The ‘packed lunch in a bottle cage’ idea looks like it might catch on…

SSB_UK
    Free Member

I get the “your lawn needs a trim” type comments, I’m not impervious to banter :wink:, but the “you’re bike’s obviously a heap of crap” type comment seems out of place in a forum which is supposedly inhabited by (reasonably) like-minded individuals.

For what it’s worth, I would guess the carrier bag is full of jazz mags “harvested” from the woodland.

cynic-al
    Free Member

a forum which is supposedly inhabited by (reasonably) like-minded individuals.

Quite new are you?

Frustrated overweight IT middle managers with penchants for coffee makers, antique Breitlings etc more like.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

😀

yesiamtom
    Free Member

If you want SSB_UK i can post my commuting bike and you’ll see a real piece of shit. Then epicyclos plastic bagged bottle will look like the most finely crafted carbon fibre frame.

😥

epicyclo

nickf – Member
    Epicyclo, that bike has so many ‘wrong’ elements I wouldn’t know where to start!
    Each to their own, but your taste and mine are clearly many poles apart.

It rides right and that’s the important thing 🙂

As far as ‘wrong’ elements, you should look at some of the other bikes I’ve posted on here – that’s the only bog standard bike I own 🙂

(The plastic bag contains my lunch and a bike magazine)

The really wrong thing is the sign beside it restricting bike access – may as well have been in England.

(Bunya Forest in Brisbane)

Royston
    Free Member

Tyre clearance is ok, 2.1’s on F&R and can get my my fingers in the space down to the palm.
    $1300 NZ Bikes/Bike Stuff are expensive here, its often cheaper to get stuff from the UK on the web(especially tyres)
    Chain is slack will need to adjust the ebb.
    Yes living in NZ.
    It’s probably nothing special lots of low end parts nothing ‘bling’ but it’s my first 29er and SS and it’s been a long time since I could justify buying a new bike.
    epicyclo: yours is the forerunner to this one. Main difference being geometery is adjusted for a suspension fork.
    It’s spring here so the grass needs cutting every week and I spent my money on the bike rather than a strimmer.
    Re the need for Creosote I can’t disagree but I’ll be out riding

stanfree
    Free Member

Looks pretty cool too me.

rudedog
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

Quite new are you?

Frustrated overweight IT middle managers with penchants for coffee makers, antique Breitlings etc more like.

I’ve seen you say this a few times – any reason behind it?

nickf
    Free Member

I get the “your lawn needs a trim” type comments, I’m not impervious to banter :wink:, but the “you’re bike’s obviously a heap of crap” type comment seems out of place in a forum which is supposedly inhabited by (reasonably) like-minded individuals.

I’m not saying that the bike’s a heap of crap, more that I can’t see the attraction. And if you post something up with essentially a “what do you think of THIS little beauty?” comment, you might just get someone like me who scratches their head and gives a less-than-glowing response.

For the record:

29″ wheels – can’t see the attraction
    cable discs (on eplicyclo’s bike) – a long-held antipathy to these
    SS – nope, I like gears
    rigid forks – suspension has been invented, and it works!
    Saddle bag – hugely practical, but I just don’t like the look

I’m sure if I stuck up a picture of my Nicolai HT (150mm forks, Hope 6 brakes, Rohloff, Saint cranks, 36lb weight) I’d get a bunch of people telling me that it looked absolutely gopping and that they couldn’t see the point. I’d have absolutely no problem with that, btw.

wwaswas

people telling me that it looked absolutely gopping

If it’s any help, I’ve reached that conclusion based on your description alone.

nickf
    Free Member

All very true – it’s had a variety of names such as The Irn-Bru bike (built oot of girders), The Clockwork Mouse (whirring Rohloff noises), That Pile Of Sh*t (er, the way it looks, I’m guessing)

Oh, and the whole thing is matt black, for that stealth uglybike look

epicyclo

I posted my bike in a spirit of solidarity with Royston, not because it’s something special.

nickf – Member
    …For the record:
    29″ wheels – can’t see the attraction
    cable discs (on eplicyclo’s bike) – a long-held antipathy to these
    SS – nope, I like gears
    rigid forks – suspension has been invented, and it works!
    Saddle bag – hugely practical, but I just don’t like the look

29″ wheels – proof is in the pudding and we’re not all midgets.
    cable disks – prefer them to hydraulic, and I usually ride with drops so hydraulic is out anyway.
    rigid forks – lighter and works. Doesn’t need servicing every 40 hours.
    saddle bag – never do long rides well off the beaten track? Try wearing a Camelbak in 30+ and high humidity.

It’s a functional bike that I can ride anywhere not a playground toy for trail centres.

When I go back to Oz after leaving it hanging on a wall for a year or so, it will be a case of air, squeeze brakes, check, ready to go.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I've been waiting a while to be able to justify this…….’ is closed to new replies.