Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • iv stopped smoking but….
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

i wonder if any of you can help?

i have gave up smoking for 9 weeks now i used tablets called champix now im off them. the problem im having is that i feel less unfit now off the cigs than when i was smoking!!
    i have never been the fittest of people but but i am really struggling on hills i didnt find to much of a problem when i smoked, i wouldnt say i have put on weight maybe a couple of pound but i have been going out regular on the bike. just wondering if anyone has had the same problem or know whats up with me!?!!

cheers

Chris

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Not a clue. How many per day did you smoke?

LapSteel
    Free Member

You are fitter…its just the smoke devils telling you that your not and you may as well start smoking again 😀

Or it could be them dodgy sounding pills your on MTFU and throw em out the window

Edit….oops you are already off em…sorry

resisted
    Free Member

I found the exact same thing a few months ago. About a week or so later I felt like death, like I had the lung capacity of a thimble but I promise it does get better, it took me a while to get over it, but it feels like I’ve developed a 3rd lung now too. Again, I was still on the bike all the time so I didn’t put on too much weight (I was a tad flabby already).

I used patches, wore them just during the day and then willpower from then on in. I’m not going to kid myself and say that I’ll never put a cigarette to my lips again but I’ll never go back to “regular” smoking again, not now I’ve experienced the other side.

cubemeup
    Free Member

the tablets are gone, i would smoke around 10-20 a day depending on the events!!

RealMan
    Free Member

Obviously smoking won’t make you fitter, this is probably just a phase. You might even just be a bit ill from something completely unrelated. Keep eating right, keep riding, keep not thinking about smoking, and it will pass.

MSP

When I gave up I passed through a phase where my chest felt tighter and it seemed harder to breathe, but I came through it much fitter. It did take about 6 months before I really started to feel the positives.

It may have been in part expecting greater benefits straight away, it does take time to undo the damage.

chakaping
    Free Member

give it a bit longer yet, maybe have a week off the bike if you’re feeling tired every ride

well done for packing it in!

matttromans
    Free Member

I am on the Champix too! about 4 weeks in. I’m finding them really good, despite the slight nausea and vivid/mental dreams….I made friends with a man sized otter the other night!
    The lack of lung capacity will get better – your lungs are beginning to clear out all the crap and open up – stick with it!

neninja
    Free Member

Your lungs will take a fair while to clean themselves. You’ll be hacking up black goo soon too.

Also you will be experiencing nicotine withdrawl symptoms, one of which is fatigue. Stick with it, you’ll feel much better in the longer term. Perhaps as a means of last resort try a low dose nicotine gum (I’ve no idea if you can while you’re taking that drug though)

backhander
    Free Member

Yeah, its just your lungs sorting themselves out. I reckon about 3 months and you’ll wonder why your mates cant keep up!
    I’m on patches just now, but I stopped for a year about 3 years ago and I was noticeably fitter despite ballooning!

letmetalktomark

I stopped 7 maybe 8 years ago.

I found stopping the easy bit.

For 18 months I felt like poop and succumbed to every cough and splutter under the sun.

During this period I did feel as though I was fitter and healthier when I smoked.

The good news is that this passes.

I feel a whole heap fitter now and am able to feel the benefits of being out longer on the bike.

As above …. stick with it as it does get easier.

swavis

Well done on kicking the habit! I remember going through the same thing when I stopped, that was over 5 years ago now. It does get easier.
    It’s a wonderful feeling when you realize you’ve gone a whole day, then a week without even thinking about a tab.

cubemeup
    Free Member

being honest i havent been coughing at all really i just feel tired and have to dig really deep on climbs to when i was smoking i would get up them much easier i just dont understand.
    i have never been a flyer like i said on the up being over 6′ and 16-17st but i would have thought if i have not smoked nowt for 9 weeks then i should have a seen an improvment and not gone backwards

LapSteel
    Free Member

I seemed to find my lung capacity was instantly better…I smoked 30 a day…roll ups.

I did succumb to lots of illnesses though in the 1st 6 months

Big-Bud
    Free Member

i stopped 3 months ago & havent touched one since .
    i did only smoke 5 a day but i dont notice any benifits at all.
    im a very fit cyclist so i wasnt expecting a massive improvement but i did expect to see a small change .

i have nothing to do now when im waiting at the top of every hill for my fellow cyclists to catch up . 😀

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Just start smoking the woodbines again. You’ll go faster and look cooler.

richwales

Same here – still on the champix and after 6 weeks off the cigs (15 a day)I feel sluggish and lethargic, which I put down to weight I’ve put on since stopping. My breathing is definitely better, at the top of a climb I can hold a conversation now. Just feel a lot slower.

glenh
    Free Member

Basically you’ve been screwing your lungs for years.

It will take ages (possibly years) for them to fully recover (if they can fully recover, depending how knackered they are).

9 weeks is nowhere near enough to really feel the benefit, I don’t think.

willard

How bad is champix for side effects? I’ve been trying to quit off and on for years and anything really effective would be a bonus.

richwales

How bad is champix for side effects? I’ve been trying to quit off and on for years and anything really effective would be a bonus

bit of nausea – mental dreams.

samuri
    Free Member

I smoked no more than 5 a day, usually less. Within a month of stopping smoking I was properly astounded at how fitter I felt, especially when I was swimming. And I was quick on a bike and in the pool when I was smoking.

It just got better and better from that point onwards. I feel so awesomely fit now it’s like having a red hot love rod in my trousers all the time. Which is awesome. Being fit is totally the best buzz I’ve ever had. And it’s awesome. Love rod.

scotia
    Free Member

you’ve been smoking for how long? how many a day? IIRC its related to this how long it will take you to feel better and fitter.

give it time, 9 weeks is nothing – smoking is a horrid habit and you dont seem to realise what you have done to your body, it will need time.

but well done, you’ve done the right thing.

nickc

Gave up 10? or so years ago, but you’ve just described how I felt. For the first couple of months just no lung power, I put it down to my lungs being too busy to clear out all the crap I’d been filling them up with. It gets better, much better…

Well done, and good luck!

cubemeup
    Free Member

cheers guys, what i dont understand is that i got a friend into mtbing and now he is beating me to the top of the hills!! he’s much shorter than me weighs the same and only goes out when i go out about 2-3 times a week!! could it be the champix?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I had a smokers cough about 5 years after stopping it just came back.
    Stick with it it gets much much better.
    I think it is a mixture of withdrawl and cleaning out crap tbh but check with a Dr – smoking cessation person

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘iv stopped smoking but….’ is closed to new replies.