Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • ITV Player: Totally rubbish?
  • Spin
    Free Member

Is it just me or does anyone else find the ITV player to be infuriatingly crap?

Trying to watch the Vuelta coverage and it’s jerky and keeps cutting off. It’s not a connection issue coz the bbc one works fine. They also only seem to be putting random ones on the catch up.

turboferret

Not had many issues with it myself, watched all of the ITV coverage of the Tour de France from here in India with minimal issues.

Cheers, Rich

TheBrick
    Free Member

Last time I tried was about 18 months ago and it was useless. I haven’t tried watching anything then because I remembered ITV hasn’t produced anything worth while in about 10 years.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Rubbish.

Pete
    Free Member

Totally useless for me too..

molgrips
    Free Member

Good stage today tho eh?

mintimperial

Yeah, it’s dreadful. Last time I tried I gave up and actually turned the telly on.

mintimperial

Splendid stage though. Watched the end of it live at my mum and dad’s, and may have given my dad unrealistic expectations of how road racing generally turns out for the Brits…

clareymorris

Totally ****

konabunny
    Free Member

watched all of the ITV coverage of the Tour de France from here in India with minimal issues

Ooh, are you using a proxy service? Which one? Been meaning to get my arse in gear about that recently.

turboferret

I use UKiVPN and have been for several years now.

Has been totally flawless, and they now have a monthly service too.

Great for geographically restricted content (iPlayer etc), and for stuff blocked in the Middle East/China etc.

Cheers, Rich

Squidlord
    Free Member

I downloaded expat shield to get UK TV. BBC was perfect, C4 variable, ITV player was unwatchable

konabunny
    Free Member

Turboferret – thanks for that. One thing: is it a download/programme that they give install? Or do they give you proxy details, username and password? I ask because one of the things I would like to use it for is to play iPlayer through the Wii, and you can set up a proxy easily through that.

Squidlord – that looks like it could be very good for laptop use and possibly also if I ever get it together to connect PC to TV through s-video card!

I suppose the alternative is to set the proxy at router level but tbh that sounds a bit involved…

turboferret

Kona,

Just a proxy, with server details, username and password – very easy to set up.

Expat shield looks interesting though, mainly since it’s free!

Cheers, Rich

Squidlord
    Free Member

Yup, free. But remember to close it down when you’re done with it, as it pushes big ads at you when you’re surfing. If you use it only when you want to watch iplayer (etc) it’s fine.

ocrider

Yup, free. But remember to close it down when you’re done with it, as it pushes big ads at you when you’re surfing. If you use it only when you want to watch iplayer (etc) it’s fine.

Use adblock if browsing with Firefox.

donsimon
    Free Member

It isn’t giving me any problems.

SaxonRider

Utter shit. Has been since its inception.

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m testing ExpatShield now – it certainly seems to be working but it does pop up a few ads (including weird ones – US department stores wtf?). I would feel bad to use adblock seeing as they’re giving it to me for free. I’d rather click on a couple of ads so they get paid. It does slow things down a bit so not good for multitasking – but if all you’re doing is watching telly, it should be fine. That slowness might also be a result of my aging PC, not superfast connection and use of Chrome and IE (can’t get rid of IE…)

Having said that, I suppose the best idea is to download stuff from iPlayer, disconnect and then watch it, as opposed to streaming…?

But will probably give UKIVPN a shot, esp if they have a pay monthly scheme – at least I can cancel if it doesn’t work out.

Turboferret – do they seem to have any problem with you using the service from different computers? How about different computers simultaneously? And how many gigs a month do you subscrube for?

turboferret

Kona,

No problems using the UKiVPN service from different computers, but not simultaneously, otherwise I could give anyone my login details to use!

I have an unlimited annual subscription, and don’t notice any deterioration in speed while in use either.

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ITV Player: Totally rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.