Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • ITV (Meridian) news RANT
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OK, we get it, those men in Oxford were evil, but do you really need to start playing really low base notes during the clips to subconsciously reinforce this fact?

What next? Subliminal flashing images of happy people during the political party they currently favor’s press conferences?

It’s news, not entertainment, stop manipulating peoples heads.

johndoh
    Free Member

Oh

joseywales
    Free Member

I see what you mean, I wasn’t sure what to make of a sex gang torturing young women until ITVs negative portrayal swayed me into thinking they were bad men, you however are a buffoon

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The BBC many years ago did a ‘news’ report justifiying the state’s powers to confiscate any cash they found on an arrested person if they believe d it to be ‘drug related’ or ‘money laundered’. Along with a constant low-pitched threatening drone there were monochrome shots of holdalls full of banknotes.

Impartial, non-propagandist reporting?

Junkyard
    Free Member

The BBC last night, whilst telling us of the queens pay rise, described her as “famously frugal”*

How many castles crowns , estates,million pound art works. servants, horses does this famously frugal billionaire have?

* they may as well describe Richard Branson as famously shy and reclusive
    What utter bollocks

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The B*llsh*t Broadcasting Corporation.

binners

The Problem is that you were watching the ‘News’* on ITV. ‘News’ for people who find an editorial in the Daily Star a bit mentally taxing!

* The word is used figuratively in this instance, and should in no way be assumed to involve the conveyance of any actual information

MartynS

The BBC many years ago did a ‘news’ report justifiying the state’s powers to confiscate any cash they found on an arrested person if they believe d it to be ‘drug related’ or ‘money laundered’. Along with a constant low-pitched threatening drone there were monochrome shots of holdalls full of banknotes.
    Impartial, non-propagandist reporting?

Or an edited sequence to fill a bit of a hole whilst the story is told… I really don’t see the connection, by the sounds of it the itv piece used the music to make the portrayed men seem even more evil and threatening than they were, and the beeb had shots of bags of cash….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The B*llsh*t Broadcasting Corporation.

I was quite frankly surprised, shocked, and bemused, to see a thread criticising ITV.

So it’s good to see that we quickly moved onto slagging off the BBC and that normal service was resumed.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Some people don’t see the connection, they don’t realise that they are being manipulated and misinformed on a constant basis. Now lower you little head and go back to grazing along with the rest of the flock.

binners

It’s news, not entertainment, stop manipulating peoples heads.

Manipulating peoples heads? The thing is, you don’t really need to try too hard to make people appear more evil, when you’re recounting how they systematically drugged, tortured and then gang-raped school-girls, do you?

With or without music, they’re unlikely to be getting confused with the chuckle brothers, are they?

bigyinn
    Free Member

There seems to be too much music in “factual programs” these days. Why do i need music as a backdrop to a horizon program about black holes?

dave360

Interesting view of the attitude of the blond woman on the BBC breakfast programme when interviewing the father who’s son got car doored and then run over by a bus when she said “it was just a tragic accident, no one was to blame”

dave360

Interesting view of the attitude of the blond woman on the BBC breakfast programme when interviewing the father who’s son got car doored and then run over by a bus when she said “it was just a tragic accident, no one was to blame”

unklehomered
    Free Member

If you want objective news you’re on the wrong channel. But tbh they’re all at it these days. Emotive descriptive words become OK in news years ago.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Manipulating peoples heads? The thing is, you don’t really need to try too hard to make people appear more evil, when you’re recounting how they systematically drugged, tortured and then gang-raped school-girls, do you?

With or without music, they’re unlikely to be getting confused with the chuckle brothers, are they?

I agree entirely. It didn’t change my sentiments to the story one bit. The problem is that it’s a deliberately subtle way of infuencing viewers feelings towards a story subconciously. It’s probably barely even audiable through normal TV speakers, I only noticed it then turned up the base on my amp to be sure i wasnt imagining it.

What if the BBC started playing the same tones under any story related to cuts to the licence fee.

Or Fox news played it whenever the Levison enquiry was mentioned?

Emotive descriptive words become OK in news years ago.

This I’ve less of a problem, most reporters stick just the right side of acceptable by quoting other people e.g “the judge described them as sick” rather than giving their own oppinions.

It’s the entirely subjective manipulation of peoples subconcious that irritated me.

binners

You think ITV viewers generally pick up on subtlety?

shatuuuup!!!! 😉

MartynS

Some people don’t see the connection, they don’t realise that they are being manipulated and misinformed on a constant basis. Now lower you little head and go back to grazing along with the rest of the flock.

Well some people is obviously me…..
    Seriously help me out, how is putting emotive music under shots of people, with the purpose of making them seem more threatening the same as using music under shots of cash.
    That looks to me like itv were certainly manipulating the sentiment somewhat
    Unfortunately I doubt you’ll be able to come up with a reasoned argument
    Are you that shouty American man Andrew Neil tried to interview??

CountZero

I honestly don’t see what your problem is, I doubt if more than a very small percentage of viewers watching ITV news will be channeling the sound through anything capable of resolving the sort of frequencies you’re bitching about.
    #firstworldproblem

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘ITV (Meridian) news RANT’ is closed to new replies.