Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • iTunes question
  • iolo
    Free Member

I have Mp3 files (talking reference books) that I would like on my iphone.
    The itunes computer I use for syncing my iphone is in Vienna. I’m currently in the UK.
    Might sound like a stupid question but can I load itunes on my mac here and sync so that I get the mp3 files on but not lose all the music and apps I have on my phone? or do i have to sync with the imac I have in Vienna?

euain

I’m not sure about syncing it – but if you have iTunes match (paid for extra, lets you access your music on the cloud, stream or copy it to phone) you can add the mp3s to iTunes on the local computer and it’ll be available on the phone.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

How big are the mp3’s you need to transfer?

You may be able to to it using Dropbox if they’re less than 2Gb, and no need to even use itunes.

h1jjy
    Free Member

Sounds like iTunes match is what you need. (think its around £20 a year)
    I have it and have 160GB of music and can access it on any Apple device or windows PC/Laptop with iTunes.

DezB
    Free Member

You can use iTunes on 2 different computers, but you have to switch off sync-ing.
    “Prevent iPods etc. syning automatically” in the Device preferences of iTunes.

If you have access to those reference books mp3s where you are currently I don’t see that you’d need iTunes Match.

GrahamS

Dropbox or some similar cloudy solution seems like your best bet to me.

DezB
    Free Member

I must be misunderstanding then! Why does he need cloud storage if, for example, he has the mp3s on a usb stick with him?

GrahamS

It’s just a lot easier to upload those MP3s to Dropbox (via the web interface) than to faff around setting up iTunes and syncing on another computer.

Slogo
    Free Member

you don’t need to sync anything! the easiest way would be transfer with iTunes on a different computer. (Drag and drop)

downloading drop box and all that is a faff.

DezB
    Free Member

you don’t need to sync anything! the easiest way would be transfer with iTunes on a different computer. (Drag and drop)

Exactly!

GrahamS

That kinda assumes he has iTunes already available on another computer, is happy to connect to it, and can correctly avoid it automatically syncing and messing up his other files.

downloading drop box and all that is a faff.

If he doesn’t have it already then the Dropbox app is freely available in the App Store, takes seconds to download and is very useful.

Nothing needs to be installed on the computer.

iolo
    Free Member

Don’t I need a internet connection to access the files on Dropbox?
    If yes that’s no good as the main reason I want the books on my phone is that I can study whilst running on the beach. There is no phone signal on the beach so would be useless.
    Another stupid question but how do I drag and drop through itunes? I really am not very computer literate. I can’t see my phone as a drive.

Slogo
    Free Member

the other computer is a mac it has iTunes on it!

There are many ways to skin a cat, but this way is the best, most efficient and easiest!

Sandwich

Using a separate computer normally results in your music on the phone being wiped due to FairPlay DRM when syncing. You can set “manually manage music and content” in iTunes for the device to allow copying to the device.

If you must sync with iTunes as you are more comfortable with it you will need another piece of software to allow the music to be copied off the phone to the new iTunes library. I use Senuti on my Mac for this purpose similar software is available for Windows.

allthegear
    Free Member

You do know FairPlay hasn’t been used for songs for years, right??

Rachel

Slogo
    Free Member

highlight the mp3 files you want to put on the iPhone, drag with one hand while you three finger drag to the iTunes desktop window. Then drop over iPhone in the left column.

DezB
    Free Member

Then drop over iPhone in the left column.
    isn’t gonna help if
    I can’t see my phone as a drive. !

If it’s shitty version 12 – Click on “playlists” up top, then you should see the “devices” on the left. If it’s not there, shut iTunes down and start it up again (checking the “don’t auto-sync” option first)

hypnotoad
    Free Member

> Don’t I need a internet connection to access the files on Dropbox?

If you click the little star on the files in the Dropbox app, it stores the files on the phone, and you can access them without internet access.

CountZero

Using a separate computer normally results in your music on the phone being wiped due to FairPlay DRM when syncing. You can set “manually manage music and content” in iTunes for the device to allow copying to the device

There’s been no DRM on music bought through iTunes since April 2010.
    Seems to be a bit of confusion, itunes doesn’t show the phone as a ‘drive’, it just shows it listed as a device, same as an iPod or pad. If the tracks are already on the UK computer, installing iTunes and selecting ‘manually manage music and video’ will avoid any embarrassment like the entire phone library being replaced.
    Depending on version, the phone should show in a list on the left hand side, and if it’s the latest version, it should show up under the little device icon along the header bar at top. Clicking should show the phone and the ‘manually manage…’ option.
    Drag the tracks from wherever they are into iTunes, then you can drag’n’drop in the latest version, I did it last week with an entire album, or, of you hover the cursor over each track, you’ll see a little circle with three dots in at the end of the track title; click, and you’ll get a drop-down with the ‘Add to:’ option, which should have the phone listed, then just click on the phone and the track should copy straight over.
    Hope this helps a bit.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘iTunes question’ is closed to new replies.