• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by skids.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Itunes alike for android……
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

have a vast library of music on my desk top.

want to be able to stream from my desktop to my phone when in the house.

I want to be able to play them on my desktop but control the music choice from my phone.

I dont want to buy any more hardware.

Any ideas ? even if i need a couple of bits of software.

Itunes used to do this quite well – its the ONLY thing i miss from my iphone.

simon_g

Plex.

doris5000

mentioned in another thread – I just got Plex on Monday, it does exactly this.

If you want to stream from your computer to your phone you have to pay £3.99 for the ‘premium’ version. Which is odd because the free version lets you stream from your computer to a Chromecast Audio plugged into the stereo. Much nicer!

I can’t imagine a situation where I’d actually want the tunes to come out of my phone but YMMV…

doris5000

as an aside, setting up a Chromecast Audio and Plex across multiple devices was an absolute breeze. A pleasure, even.

it was one of those “This is what computers are SUPPOSED to be like!” moments that I hadn’t really experienced since the early days of owning a Mac in 2008

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I can’t imagine a situation where I’d actually want the tunes to come out of my phone but YMMV…

because i dont want to buy a chrome cast for the garage but i can plug the phone into my technics stack via aux in and play through 😀

cheers gents

trailwagger
    Free Member

Play Music?

Cougar

I’ve never used it, but Doubletwist has been referred to as Android’s iTunes (it’ll even talk to an iTunes library I think). Might be worth a look.

https://www.doubletwist.com/player

retro83
    Free Member

Can you do all the streaming etc without paying for plex? It was quite pricey last time I looked.

scotroutes

Play Music

Was my thought too, though it relies on a broadband connection. I guess those that are bandwidth constrained or have data limits might need to look at other options.

ElShalimo

Play Music also works with content on your device without a connection. We used it in our campervan on holiday recently (but only because PowerAmp had a licencing issue it couldn’t resolve without a WiFi connection).

zippykona

Double twist is easy but it costs a lot of money.

zilog6128

I’ve never used it, but Doubletwist has been referred to as Android’s iTunes (it’ll even talk to an iTunes library I think).

Plex will also connect to a local iTunes service. Don’t currently use it for music but I’ve done this in the past.

phiiiiil

Does anything do an itunes genius like function on android? I quite often choose a random song and let it make a playlist of all the other random songs I hardly ever listen to, but I haven’t found an equivalent for android…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

phiiiiil – Member
    Does anything do an itunes genius like function on android?

Probably some shitty app that will steal processing and demand to be updated every 12s.
    Spotify or and music play, plenty of streaming stuff chrome cast audio to the garage is probably the easiest

trailwagger
    Free Member

Does anything do an itunes genius like function on android?

Play Music.

acidtest
    Free Member

Am pretty sure you can do it with windows media player.

traildog
    Free Member

Maybe I am missing something, but any DLNA type media server should be able to do this. I use jriver but there are plenty of free options.

Personally I’d be looking at dumping iTunes because it’s horrible at managing music.

CraigW
    Free Member

Unified Remote would let you control your PC from your phone, it supports a few different media players, eg Winamp, Windows Media Player, iTunes etc. https://www.unifiedremote.com/

trail_rat
    Free Member

Streaming via the web is not an option .not everyone has super duper internet

I don’t want to use iTunes. I just want something with similar concepts.

Poo it all you want but it works well for me 🙂

scotroutes

DLNA on your PC then something like Mediahouse on your phone.

ji
    Free Member

+1 for play music (for both queries)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Play music here to, I even use it on an iPhone!

skids
    Free Member

upload all your music to google play music for free, then you have all your music anywhere you want stored in the cloud

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Itunes alike for android……’ is closed to new replies.