• This topic has 53 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by J0N.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • It's Tuesday, it's Elfin's Architectural Appreciation Thread! Stations Edition.
  • binners

Not strictly a station any more, but majestic none the less

woody2000

Wakefield Kirkgate – can you appreciate a place for being utterly sh*t? 🙂

nicko74

Woody for some reason that makes me feel really nostalgic, I think for train sets. I really don’t know why…

Anna-B
    Free Member

Love these threads. My favourite railway station is the one in Helsinki.

My photo of nostalgia is New St….

duntmatter
    Free Member

I love the final approach to Brighton Station, sweeping in over the viaduct and seeing the town below..

..before pulling into the double arched and curving trainshed.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Clockwork – I live in Willaston, station is currently being refurbished. You in the village?

The cool thing in the context of this forum is that it’s now the start (almost) of the Wirral Way cycle (and foot and horse) path.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Monet’s Gare St Lazare

theotherjonv

Not strictly a station, it’s a terminal, but it’s beautiful nonetheless

matthewjb
    Free Member

I had the misfortune to use Birmingham New Street today.

It’s so utterly dingy and depressing. Adding a fancy new building wont help if the trains are still underground in a dark hole.

Can I choose a tube station?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You can. Matthew, indeed it was to be my very next post in fact! Great minds…

It’s an absolutely enormous space they’ve excavated to create that station. Drained an old dock, then dug it out twice as deep, creating a massive concrete canyon. An engineering marvel. I travel through it at least once a week, and really enjoy the experience.

I also love the DLR station at CW.

southernsteel
    Free Member

Firenze Santa Maria Novella for me. Used it last summer. A very welcome contrast to the rest of the city. I thought I had my own photo of it- alas not. Here is google’s best offering.

I’m also quite a fan of London Euston.

duntmatter
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

in my feverish demented state yesterday, I totally forgot about the work of Charles Holden, who helped shape the look of parts of the Underground.

Chiswick Park:

Arnos Grove:

Southgate:

J0N
    Free Member

Calatrava – Lyon

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘It's Tuesday, it's Elfin's Architectural Appreciation Thread! Stations Edition.’ is closed to new replies.