Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Its titanium, but its a road bike
  • daveh
    Free Member

I've already done 850 miles on it but I finally got around to taking a photo:

Its very nice, I've only been out on my mountain bike a handful of times since building it up.

CHB

Thats lovely, very similar to my PX sportive. Treat yourself to a carbon seatpost though, I got a fab one (similar to the superstar ones) from ebay. Full carbon/Ti for £45.

racefaceec90

nice!!!what sort of price for one of those bad boys/girls!!!(not that i could afford one,just in case i win the lottory!!!)

daveh
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I really do like this bike! Carbon seatpost would be nice but at 16.5 stone I'm just not sure. I suppose I am riding on a full carbon fork though! It cost around £1500 to build up, Sram Rival with a mix of Easton/Pro/Ritchey finishing kit. I must admit that was I to do it again I'd probably go with the standard built bike for £1900 with 3 years never never from JEJames. This 'project' started out a little more modest than it ended up! Or if I had the cash the present PlanetX deals would take some ignoring!

djglover
    Free Member

Unfortunately my eyes seem drawn away from the frame and towards the monstrosity of a saddle and saddle bag. Also it is crying out for the stem to be turned upside down and have some Italian shallow drop bars added.

Other than that, nice 😕

spoon
    Free Member

You've bent you seat stays – Ti too bendy see.

firestarter
    Free Member

i nearly got one of those but after extensive test rides opted for this one instead 😉 both lovely mind. built my own wheels too to replace the ksyrium es i had on it before. much more fitting for the bike i think

daveh
    Free Member

True, the saddle isn't pretty but it is comfortable, and once i sit my fat @rse down on it it dissappears. Saddle bag a necessary evil, i prefer things in it than in my back pocket. I guess saddle bags should fall into the same category as mud guards, remove before photo!

Spoon – Its OK, my mate rides one of these: http://www.sundaybicycles.co.uk/MondaysChild.php i'll give him a quick blast on mine and it should end up with nice straight stays.

daveh
    Free Member

Very nice those Septembers. I went through the same process as you Mick but couldn't resist the Silk Road's curved stays. I'll not be taking it out in bad weather anyway! I'm waiting for some 32 spoke Ambrosio hub/excellights myself from Mr Rowland, they should be better.

firestarter
    Free Member

i decided that as we live in bbq britain id put up with straight stays and guards lol. i nearly got the same wheels but decided on matching the rest of the group and got a deal on bits so ended up with dura-ace on open pro so happy with those 😉

daveh
    Free Member

Experience with cup and cone on mountain bikes has put me off but dura-ace on open pro must be the ultimate choice, a man of good taste!

firestarter
    Free Member

lol and you too sir 😉

daveh
    Free Member

What stem is that btw?

firestarter
    Free Member

its an fsa carbon thing not sure what tho

Kuco

Nice bikes.

aracer
    Free Member

Treat yourself to a carbon seatpost though

Why, what's the advantage?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Rival?

*hurls*

ourmaninthenorth

Er, daveh, unless tyhe frame's more compact than the picture shows, are you sure you've bought the right size? Seems to be a lot of seat post and and lot of steerer spacers showing….

Nah, on a second look at Mick's as well, it must just be my eyes.

firestarter
    Free Member

as it happens outmaninthenorth i really struggled to get a fit on the silk road i tried three different sizes and also two on the sepetmber but in the end it now fits great 😉

richcc
    Free Member

I really like the look of those Sunday/Sabbath bikes! Have browsed the website on more than one occasion…

daveh
    Free Member

I know what you mean ourmaninthenorth, I thought it looked a bit odd when looking at the photo. The frame is more compact than it looks, the bike is facing down a slope in that piccy. As for the stem height, that's the max recommended for the fork. I may reduce it in time (I'll flip the stem first though) but its comfortable for now. I need to loose the belly and adjust to roadie-ing before going lower at the front.

ourmaninthenorth

mick – your bike looks well proprtioned.

daveh – I did think it was all in the "angles", after I saw the pic of Mick's bike, which showed a more compact frame than yours appeared to have. Don't worry too much about a low position – not everyone has the flexibility of a six foot 23 year-old Belgian pro. You can adjust over time to get the right combinaiton of drop and comfort.

You have to, however, sort out what you're carrying – do you have sandwiches and a hipflask in that seatpack?

A friend rides (and races on) a Silk Road, and loves it. It's not his full-on winter bike, but he does tend to be out on it earlier and later in the season than the rest of us on carbon bikes.

Good choices, chaps. Like them.

daveh
    Free Member

You have to, however, sort out what you're carrying – do you have sandwiches and a hipflask in that seatpack?

Too close to the truth for comfort! I liken myself to a Jag XJS: big, comfortable, quicker than you might imagine but very heavy on fuel! Swallows a block of Soreen nicely that bag! Seriously, maybe I do go too prepared, roadie-ing is new to me, mountain biking has taught me to take everything possible! The bag usually contains: multitool, spare tube, pump, CO2 canister, puncture repair stickers, inhaler, house keys and a £5 note. I must admit, in 850 miles I haven't needed any of those things other than the house keys.

What should I be taking?

aP
    Free Member

I would just stick with that, at least you'll be reasonably prepared if something happens rather than relying on phoning someone up and asking them to come and get you.
    You could always try and squeeze on a kitchen sink mind 😉

ourmaninthenorth

What should I be taking?

All of those things, really. I use the smallest Specialized seatpack to carry: tube, patches, tyre levers (2), chain tool, chain link/pin, CO2 inflator "head", 2 x CO2 cartidges. The pack is quite full, but it can be cinched up close to the underneath of the seat. This also stops it rattling – a key requirement!

Mini pump (Lezyne, natch) goes on the frame. Phone, bank card, ID, cash, inhaler, food in jersey pockets.

I wouldn't take a block of Soreen with me, though I do know an ex-1st Cat who usually sticks one in his jersey pocket….

you'll be reasonably prepared if something happens rather than relying on phoning someone up and asking them to come and get you.

Indeed, like the bloke we met at the top of a rather windy Cat & Fiddle on a club run last autumn. It was nice and arm in Macc, so he'd ridden up in his Rapha jersey and shorts on his lovely titanium Omega, and was so cold at the pub at the top he'd called his old man to fetch him..!

firestarter
    Free Member

i carry alsorts in my pannier 😉 but im prepared for anything just about lol

aracer
    Free Member

What should I be taking?

Well it depends. Couldn't say the advice from others is wrong, but I just take 2 tubes some levers and some means of inflation (pump or CO2, not generally both). I'm sure I'm cursing myself here, but the only occasions I've failed to get home with just that have been because of human failure. Can't remember ever even needing the second tube, but I'd rather carry that than a puncture kit. Tubes go in a tiny Conti seatpack which I don't even notice is there – pump in jersey pocket.

daveh
    Free Member

Here we go then, a little update courtesy of one Mr Rowland. I'm really pleased with the wheels, it'll be my first ride tonight but I must say they seem really nicely built, no stress pings whilst giving them a whirl up and down the road outside, good spoke tension etc etc and the service/order-delivery was exceptional. They really suit the bike too (imo!). Thanks Harry!

Saddle bag stays but I aimed for more level ground on this photo.

ourmaninthenorth

Nice looking wheels. Friends run them and all rate them. Oh, and I'd expect no pings from Harry Rowland…!

Still think it looks too small for you, but so long as it's comfortable and nice to ride, then no problem.

Oh, and I look forward to the reposted pics showing a smaller seatpack… 😉

daveh
    Free Member

My previous bike was a 57.5cm and I found that a bit big. The Silk Road in a 56cm feels very nice for now. You never know, as I get used to road riding I may end up back at 58cm ish but 56cm suits me fine at the moment. Blame years of small mountain bike frames! Its setup for comfort, nice and tall at the front, but then I've always got the drops for more speed.

You really don't like that seatpack do you!!

Sanny
    Free Member

Hello

So how do you guys rate the Silk Road as a bike? Is there anything you don't like about it? I saw a Sabbath when I was out riding with Lance on Tuesday (oooh, get me, let's face it, it's a one off experience so I'll bloomin' well enjoy saying it! Ha! Ha!)and I have to say they look lovely. Im 6 foot 2 so was wondering if any of you are of a similar height and , if so, what size you would recommend? Thinking of a large. The curved stays just look right to me.

Cheers

Sanny

daveh
    Free Member

I'm only a recent convert to road riding so don't have a lot of experience but I think its super nice! Very comfortable (compared to an ali Boardman, night and day difference), quick steering but stable to an indicated 54 mph! The frame is nicely made, smooth welds, tidy dropouts etc. The only slight issue I've had is keeping the seatpost in place, a combination of me being very heavy and the seattube being ~3mm thick! I just needed to tighten the clamp more! Other than that its been superb. I'm 6ft 1in and perfectly comfortable on a large (with layback post and 120mm stem) but I do like short bikes. X-large may be better for you – i think 6ft 1in is the largest Sabbath recommend on a Large. Give them a ring though, they're very friendly and helpful. When you're ready to buy, check out cycleswag.com or fatbirds.co.uk.

ElNino
    Free Member

I think my Silk Road is fantastic. As it has already been mentioned that Greg is more than helpful, Cycleswag is Sabbath's sister company. I've had mine since February. Built with 2008 SRAM Rival and Force brake calipers and as much Chris King as I can afford! The CK Hubs on Mavic CXP33's made a big difference to the ride, it became even more comfortable…..

And now ready to be used as my winter commuter

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Its titanium, but its a road bike’ is closed to new replies.