Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • It's time for a new road bike and a new hardtail…but what?
  • Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I would like need a new road bike and hardtail. 😀
    At the moment I have A scandium framed Ribble and a Canondale M600. I'm looking to move them on and replace them with carbon. I'd like to keep the road bike as close to £1k as possible and could perhaps go to £2k on the hardtail.
    The road bike would be used for my commute (15miles each way) general fitness and perhaps some races (entered the Etape for next year.)
    The hardtail will be used for more 'race' like rides such as the 10s, 'Puffer etc. as I've recently found myself thinking that perhaps my Golden Willow was a bit too much for them. I'd also maybe use it for towing my trailer when doing the weekly shop although I'm not sure how the frames would stand up to the strains of that?
    Thus far my short list is as follows.
    Road

[*]Ribble Gran Fondo 105[/*]
    [*]Planet X SL Pro Carbon Ultegra SL[/*]
    [*]Planet X Nanolight SRAM Rival[/*]
    [*]Giant Defy Alliance (although I'd rather have full carbon)[/*]

Hardtail
    [*]Giant XTC Advanced [/*]
    [*]GT Zaskar carbon expert (although not sure on the Recons?)[/*]
    [*]Scott Scale 35[/*]

What others should I be considering?

Cheers

Paul.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

❓ 🙁

TheFlyingOx

For the road, I'd go Argon 18 Krypton. I rode a Gallium the other week and it was phenomenal. Having said that, it's about the only road bike I've ridden apart from about a mile on a demo Look 566. The Krypton is just a less fancy-shaped Gallium, and could be built up for around £1200 if you speak nicely to your LBS and maybe re-use some bits from your current bike.
    Hardtail, try a Whyte 19.

All these, and more, are available to demo just down the road from you, at Flying Fox.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘It's time for a new road bike and a new hardtail…but what?’ is closed to new replies.