Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • It's never to old to stop riding your bike.
  • redthunder
    Free Member

I was out riding today with my Dad who thinks he’s the oldest mountain biker out there at 72 [+pacemaker] and planning hang up he’s pedals.

When we spoke to a another father son combo who rode by. We spoke for a bit and it transpired he was 83 😯

My Dad’s a bit niffed because he’s got ride another 11 years ;-). It must be like finding your pension age has been increased to 75.

I’ve got another 42 years to go :-)(

Apparently this guy rode for Bristol South CC circa 1953 on a fixie.

IMG_4039 by SGMTB, on Flickr

andrewh
    Free Member

I did a 25mile TT once. Checking the handicaps, I had 5mins on the scratch man. most people had 10-12 minutes, there was one bloke with a 35 minute handicap.
    I asked the organiser how come he gets such a big one.
    “He’s 84.”

25 miles in 1hr30 (his exact time escapes me, but the man who was scratch usually does an 0:55) Not bad for 84!

I have a friend in his mid-sixties. He likes to tell the story of when he took his road bike out to the Pyranees and hit 74mph, “I could have gone faster but I got scared.” 😯 He has some slightly melted brake blokes he shows people.

You are never too old.

scratch
    Free Member

One of the Welsh bothies had a note in the bothy book from a father and son who’d ridden out and stayed for the night, his dad was 82! Moel P’s pretty remote + he must have been carrying a bit of kit!

Kevevs
    Free Member

Brilliant! 😀

RealMan
    Free Member

Not a rider, but this guy was right at the top of a big mountain, having hiked all the way up (French Alps). He was 88.

he’s got ride another 11 years

Hope you told him that’s only if the older guy gives up this year..

There’s quite a few 70-80 year olds in Club des Cinglés du Mont-Ventoux too.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

My Gran’s cousin (auntie?) is 89 and she still rides around the new forest.

epicyclo

There was a 71 year soloist at the ‘Puffer Lite (12 hour race)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Damn, there was me thinking I was ahead of the age pack. Oh well. Looking forward to my 60th at the end of the month. Think I’ll go for a bike ride… 😉

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hey RT, good to hear JBs still out on the trails. No reason to give up – life’s like riding a bike; you stop and you fall over. I’ve got a mate who’s 75, rides a Giant Trance and a Kona Kula which he bought this year; he’s still ‘ard as nails! 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

He’s not wearing a helmet in that pic!!

5thElefant
    Free Member

Pre-1970 skulls are built to a higher standard.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘It's never to old to stop riding your bike.’ is closed to new replies.