Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • It's just too long….
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

…the front hose on my formula brake that is.

The instructions aren’t clear on what I need to shorten it, so could you point me in the right direction please?

It also states DOT4 but I’ve read you can use 5.1 is that a tru-say?

Thanks as always.

Northwind

Which brake is it? The unions vary but it’s much the same with all recent formulas, you generally just need the olive and barb (and the barb can be reused if you’re cheap). And the bleed kit is a good idea- it’s not always neccesary but can be.

Dot 5.1 is designed to be backwards compatible to Dot 4- not impossible that you’ll get issues with specific brakes but I’ve alwyas used 5.1 in my Oros and Ones.

eyerideit
    Free Member

It’s these 2010 RX’s

pinetree
    Free Member

You need this and this 😉

fenred
    Free Member

Ahhh formula pricing…Can’t be beaten eh? 😉

eyerideit
    Free Member

I nearly pooped my pants when I saw those prices.

😀

pinetree
    Free Member

Well I suppose you can buy a bag of 50 if you need to. Good to know!
    Also available individually, haha!

RobHilton
    Free Member

Couple of zip ties to the other cables might tidy things up a bit? I do it and rarely get mocked.

lucien

You can buy the complete sealed cables from CRC

Here

Northwind

You won’t need the hose kit though, just the olive. And barb, if you can’t be bothered to extract the old one from the hose.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22473

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64926

somafunk

Pop into your local decent bike shop and ask to buy an olive and a barb fitting for a formula brakeset (or take a scalpel/stanley knife to the hose and salvage the old barb), most bike shops worth their salt will have a box of various hydraulic fittings and for a couple of ££ you’ll leave with the parts you need.

You shouldn’t need to bleed the brakes afterwards, remove the hose from the lever and trim to size, fit hose guard, banjo bolt, banjo,barb then refit hose and tighten down banjo bolt.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for your advice, tips and links.

Soma, I like the sound of not having to bleed the brake.

I was going to order online but I’ll try a LBS.

Thing is most of the LBS are chains down this way (in rural east Londonshire) and the ones that aren’t are pretty road/hipster orientated.

There’s two that sell MB’s both are in the opposite direction of the way I commute by a good few miles.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘It's just too long….’ is closed to new replies.