Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • It's "from", you pleb
  • nicko74

“My generation was no different than any other,” Armstrong told Cyclingnews’ Daniel Benson.

report here

Sod the drugs, the cheating, the bullying, it’s *from*, not *than*.

scaredypants

“to”, I’d have said but then I’m a bit like that bloke off of shameless

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

‘from’ and ‘to’ are both correct, but he’s an American so what do you expect?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s when Americans say “I could care less” when they meant they couldn’t care less that really winds me up.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Nope, all of these are beaten by “I could of” instead of “I could have” literally grinding my teeth as I type!

smiff
    Free Member

fun fact: “could of” comes from a misunderstanding of “could have” > could’ve. 😀

“could care less” is worse because it means the opposite… 🙁

Armstrong is the worstest, of course. for realz.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pedants posting in the wrong forum….. 🙄

fatboyjon

At least he didn’t say ‘off of’. I’d punch Scott Mills in the face all day long for that.

nicko74

Pedants posting in the wrong forum…..

Nope, it’s related to bikes. I mean, with the doping, it’s only related to biking (in the same way that motorbikes are related to cycling), but still…

BoardinBob

I agree with him to a certain extent that he’s being singled out, but on the flipside he brought it on himself with his past behaviour.

There’s no doubt that people were after him because of his profile. Had he admitted it years ago then I imagine the punishment would have been less, but no doubt his head in the sand stance, coupled with his arrogance, surely made it a mission for people to nail him to the cross

batfink
    Free Member

Try explaining the difference between “Alternate” and “Alternative” to somebody that’s absolutely convinced that they mean exactly the same thing….

Northwind

Miriam Webster lists among the definitions of “alternate”:

4 : constituting an alternative <took the alternate route home>
    5: alternative

I’d say it’s an americanism but I reckon it’s only a matter of time til the OED caves in.

user-removed
    Free Member

on the flipside

his head in the sand stance

nail him to the cross

BoardingBob. You have a job on News of the cliches.

BoardinBob

I love a buzzword 8)

Karinofnine

‘Than’ instead of ‘from’ I can live with but ‘off of’ deserves a public stoning. At the beginning of this year I asked for a date stamp which went up to the year 2013, the stationary girl replied “I’ve got some on order, some other secretary’s have . . . “. Child, the plural of secretary is secretaries. Tsk.

Edukator
    Free Member

Even if “secretary’s” and “secretaries” mean different things they are homophones. Did you forget the smiley, Karin?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    ‘Than’ instead of ‘from’ I can live with but ‘off of’ deserves a public stoning. At the beginning of this year I asked for a date stamp which went up to the year 2013, the stationary girl replied “I’ve got some on order, some other secretary’s have . . . “. Child, the plural of secretary is secretaries. Tsk.

A stoning offence for me is when people use ‘stationary’ when they mean ‘stationery’ 😉

Apologies if you were just referring to a girl who was not moving. 😛

Pook

edit: beaten to it

IHN

At least he didn’t say ‘off of’. I’d punch Scott Mills in the face all day long for that

You’d have to get to him before me…

I’d also like to add

– “can I get” instead of “can (or, even better, may) I have”
    – “off” instead of “from”
    – “of” instead of “have”

Grr.

EDIT – oh, and this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/singletrack-subscription-offers-did-anyone-get-their-free-charge-spoon-yet

boblo
    Free Member

@BP 😀

piemonster

I agree with him to a certain extent that he’s being singled out

Pish, he’s a big fat fish. And gets the coverage a big fat fish warrants. Which in itself is determined by what value the media place in the story.

Which it seems is greater that that of some fat bloke in Switzerland who deserves an awful lot more scrutiny that he’s getting.

I can’t comment on the grammar as I’m a barely literate imbecile.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘It's "from", you pleb’ is closed to new replies.