Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • It's brass monkeys out there tonight
  • fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

just got back from my regular wed night ride it’s cold out DAMN COLD!! had just about every piece of bike clothing on that i could and i was bl**dy cold by the time i got home anyone else been out tonight 😐

rOcKeTdOg

it was chuffing cold earlier too, awful raw easterly too

365/32 1/2/12 the colder than it looks ride by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

psychobiker
    Free Member

I had an awesome ride, had to slowly introduce myself to the shower when I got in, started it cold and slowly warmed it up. The ground was hard and really fast rolling. A change from last night where it was a frosty crust on some pretty wet mud. Like riding through a creme brulee. 😆

crispybacon
    Free Member

Went out Monday night & it wasn’t too cold although the trails were a wet mud-fest.

Went out last night & the trails were still a mud-fest but **** me was it COLD 😕 we ended up cutting it short as we were suffering even though we had plenty of layers & thick gloves on.

zoota

Was out this afternoon managed to warm up a bit and then my mate popped a link in his chain so i froze as we fixed it with the leatherman after that I didnt get warm again

RoterStern
    Free Member

A quite parky -15 on my night ride this evening. Lovely snow to ride on mind. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

-4.7 here, hoping it’ll firm things up a bit. At least it isn’t as cold as it was last winter.

godzilla
    Free Member

Im out at 7 tomorrow for a solo blast round Swaledale before work (Cheerz zo x) and i can wait, keep promising myself some tights, maybe next year 😛

superfli
    Free Member

Not nearly so cold down here in the South, but was the best night ride I’ve had in a while. Lovely crisp+hard surface, no mud, fast and once the hands warmed up on the techy stuff, I was just right.
    Oh how lovely it is to get back frmo a ride, not covered head to toe in mud, and not have to clean the bike 🙂

Rockape
    Free Member

Rode Gisburn Tuesday night it was cold and very slippy on top welpstone crag. The snow had been compacted and turned to ice you would loose the front then the back luckily no offs and the wood sections were very Icey. But extremely good fun.

mintimperial

It’s ace! -5C when I got home half an hour ago. All the mud is frozen and makes that fantastic SCRONCHRUMBLESCRONCH noise, not a breath of wind, and no bugger else is out so it feels like you’ve got the whole world to yourself. Fantastic. Even a permanently squeaky front disc couldn’t spoil it, I had to make myself come home to avoid getting into bother for staying out too long.

More of this please, and less of the horrible windy, rainy, godawful weather we’ve had up until now.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Yup, went out Monday (15 mile each way commute, once a week) an made the mistake of wearing shorts.. Big mistake! Think it was even colder today too

stumpy01

I did about an hour and a half. Was -2 but with quite a strong biting wind.

Toes were completely numb & really painful as they warmed up!

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

about 90 minutes down here on the south coast and first time I’ve been cold in ages – had to ride properly hard for 20 minutes before I warmed up, and even then my feet were completely numb for the rest of the ride.

however, fast fast fast! no bike cleaning, and a nice warm feeling now. I’m a happy, sleepy chap 🙂

topangarider
    Free Member

Was out last night. Started with freezing fingers, ended with freezing toes. All my really warm stuff was still in the wash from Sunday’s club run – Smartwool socks are the best.

Cuppa half way round helped mind…

Junkyard
    Free Member

3 hours ish was very cold. We stopped once to decline the descent of Belmont/ San Marino [ iced up totally]. i opened some Jelly beans and took my gloves off to get at them mistake…big mistake BBBBBRRRRRRRRR

trails were super though and I prefer it to muddy gloop.

Extremities were very cold though but lovely ride

TiRed

Rode home from work with the wind at my back. Saw the Airbus A380 land at LHR (about 100ft up). Wore a buff and was toasty warm. Large pizza for tea.

kiwifiz
    Free Member

A first visit to Long Mynd today for a 20 mile loop under clear blue skies….. frozen streams of run off water on the ascents/descents, snow on trails up top and black ice on the short road sections….amazing if not a little treacherous! Only two other tyre trails on the route and not another bike in sight….felt rather spoilt having it all to myself. Was heading for home during the sunset which was pretty special too. But man was it chilly…….gear cables froze up completely under bracket at one point along with ice thickened jockey wheels, requiring chipping away of solid slush to get changes working again (must get round to sorting outers!). My feet have finally thawed out several hours later with the help of a rather long bath soak, but all very much worth it.

Wookster

Proper cold, awesome fast trails!! I love the sound under the tyres! Saying that the frozen front and rear mech wasn’t much fun!! Serves me right for being such a kid and riding through the ice to hear it crack! 😀

zoota

@ kiwifiz sounds great did you get that route out of a bike mag last month?
    also reading your frozen jockey wheel bit reminds me why this year my goals is another stead only with the alfine 11 hub

matt_outandabout

heh, picked up two of my apprentices this afternoon for work – they camped out near Schehallion last night in -11…. 😯
    Some hard lessons learned about winter camping – ML assessment here they come! 8)

kiwifiz
    Free Member

@ zoota…sourced the route from “the edge cycleworks” website, one several options for Long Mynd….:

here

Downloaded the GPX file to viewranger and then synced to cased up iphone viewranger app (using 1;25000 OS maps) mounted on handlebar

A good collection of regional rides including peak district at this site, most with GPX links, so like having your own (digital) guide! Looking forward to trying some more of their routes….thanks edge team!

rp16v
    Free Member

hit the road and managed about 45 mins till it was so cold it hurt so packed it in and went to the chinese insted 😆

Candodavid
    Free Member

Just had a good fast blast round Weston woods doing plenty of cheeky trails, awesome, just like summer without any iota of heat.
    Frozen trails breaking up into dust, plenty of grip.
    Lets hope this stays for a while.

yunki
    Free Member

lovely cool crisp crunchiness.. more please

RoterStern
    Free Member

It was so cold on Monday’s night ride that the ends of my fingers started to literally freeze and harden, even with winter gloves on. But today it looks like summer is around the corner with a positively scorchio! -8. 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘It's brass monkeys out there tonight’ is closed to new replies.