Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • It's all gone a bit roadie on STW!
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The best & easiest way to obtain is by miles on the road..

not sure just racking up road miles is the best way to get fitness, surely better to interval some hills and get the heart and lungs working – rather than just sucking up fumes on some boring road?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

not sure just racking up road miles is the best way to get fitness, surely better to interval some hills and get the heart and lungs working – rather than just sucking up fumes on some boring road?

I didnt say it was the best way, I said it was important that you dont ignore the stamina (i.e. base aspect) of your fitness training. Base is just as important as harder efforts..

Road doesnt have to be boring either, what makes road boring is the road that you chose to ride on. Chose an interesting route..

slowjo
    Free Member

sucking up fumes

I suppose it depends which roads you are riding on.

I have noticed lots of people on bikes recently. Probably definitely a TdF spin off but in my book, the more people on bikes = better.

A bike is a bike, road, CX or MTB they are all fun and have their own attractions.

meehaja
    Free Member

I felt bad because I’ve not ridden my mtb since feb as i hurt my shoulder and riding mtb still aggrevates it. Having just splashed nearly £2k on a new road bike, I took meehaja jr out in his wee ride on saturday for the nottinghamshire bikeride on the P7. Still hurts my shoulder, but rather than feeling like I should be shredding the gnar to the power of rad, I can pootle along having fun, and hopefully building a love of bikes into my son!

glenh
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

I can assure you that most of the roads around here have plenty of hills (and very few fumes). Downhills aren’t particularly boring at 50mph either 🙂

sefton
    Free Member

rd bikes are only boring if your shit slow and a bit on the porky side…

…troll by the way 😉

cuberider
    Free Member

Love both but – @sputnik +2 mud / all year round / tedious

Road and mountain are fun if you have good places to ride.

More than a little fed up with all the mud and with stuff breaking all the time.

Not sure about the relative fitness merits. They seem surprisingly different. Weight bearing / impact characteristics of mountain biking is meant to be better for your bones.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yes TDF but also training for the Wild Wales Challenge, I am also mtbing so loving both aspects of riding.

BrickMan

I come to STW and all I see is ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD ROAD

weeksy

Simple for me.. every time i go out on the MTb i need to buy another component from CRC/Merlin etc. It seems just relentless time and expense at the moment. That and coming home covered in crap, having to wash myself with the hose before then leaving my 5-10’s for 4 days to try and dry out enough to ride again, having to hoover everywhere from the downstairs up to the shower…

Roads will dry in 2-3 hours enough so i get nothing but a minor splattering of water at worst… ride, put away… ride again…

_tom_
    Free Member

Probably the weather, and as someone said riding in mud is fine for some of the year but not for all of it. I always seem to damage mtb stuff or develop a new click/creak each time I go out on it as well. Never get that on my road bike or bmx.

Doubt it has much to do with the tour, I don’t even know what the yellow jersey means and I doubt many of my non-cyclist mates know either.

djglover
    Free Member

I rather like the look of tanned clean shaven legs and figure hugging lycra and sportwool.

You mtbers just look so bad dressed up as overage teenage mutant ninja turtles.

OCB
    Free Member

I find riding a Peregrine most places all-but completely removes any distinction ‘twixt the two. Tho’ I’ve always ridden my ‘mtb’ on country lanes getting to/between green-lanes, as much as I’ve ridden my road-bike on green-lanes between the country lanes …

gb1m – Member
    here’s the motorbike equivalent:

My old GS1000 was awful off road, stupidly, freakishly too long, too low and absurdly heavy – I never ever tried to keep it upright once it started to slip, I was in too much of a hurry to avoid getting trapped underneath it (and possibly being downed in the process). Hmm, although I used to roll my XR500 outfitted with a Fantic trials sidecar almost all the time too, thinking back). Great to see there are still people doing the same thing.

😉

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Bought a road bike 2 months ago , lost nearly a stone with no diet change. Take saturday for instance up at 7 am grab odds and sods bike out of garage away at 7-30 , home for 1 ,oil chain put bike away, 70+ miles taking in Hardknott and Wrynose brew in Coniston.
    Typical previous Saturday up at 7 ,load up car get gear out for 8 , drive 45 mins off load all gear put bike shoes on coat etc , its now 9 am, ride 2.5 hours load up bike get changed set off get home £20 diesel used ,off load kit nearly 1 oclock and stood facing an hour clean down, which i will do tomorrow! So with no extra time i have doubled my pedalling time and when it comes to the big hills on the road full on effort can get me over everything, come to mtb and a steep technical climb might beat me technically rather than lung busting so end up pushing not for fitness reasons.Have mtb for 8+ years twice a week with weight staying pretty constant,now I may add one or two evening hour blasts in on the road bike that I would not do on the mtb due to the ease of road. Went out mtb last week felt alot fitter. So only in my opinion a road bike does improve fitness, and the mrs can`t get enough of me in the bib shorts with my kite sticking out, Not!!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

I rather like the look of tanned clean shaven legs

Each to their own and all that, but shaved legs aren’t going to be so clever when you head out into the nettle-infested woods again, are they now?

Don’t forget to pack some dock leaves.

carbon337
    Free Member

Fully signed up member to the shaven roady club now.

I was a 3 a week MTB rider. Had our first child so time became more precious.

Cost of fuel and components started to put me off as well as the dirtyness and midge bites.

I lost 4.5 stone in a year with no real huge diet changes.

I now race road and mix that up with social rides. I have a c456 in the shed used mainly for rides with my daughter on her weeride.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Fancy shaving my legs but can I really ad to more pi$$ taking from riding buddies road and mtb, also associate shaven legs to being a wannabee and wearing replica team kit! 😕

weeksy

I’d look ridiculous with shaved legs… it’s not going to happen.

If streamlining is that important for me i’ll wear some lycra bottoms.

carbon337
    Free Member

You feel weird at first for about a week then after that when your racing and riding in a group of a decent level its totally normal.

I draw the line at that fancy oil they all use from Rapha and fake tan though.

weeksy

lol so if i shave my legs i got from 40 and fat to a decent level instantly ?

carbon337
    Free Member

no but you will feel you have 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

If streamlining is that important for me i’ll wear some lycra bottoms.

It’s more to do with gravel rash and massage than aero efficiency.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I also heard shaven legs is good for cooling and sweat wicks away more quickly. Has anny one turned tranny after shaving their legs 😆

eyerideit
    Free Member

Question? do you shave to just above the hem of your shorts or do you include everything below the navel?

I have no intention of shaving as I’ve got a fair bit of hair on my arm/shoulders/chest/face. Just take a look at my profile pic and it’s far off that. My hair seems to be undertaking and epic migration south from what was the luscious plains that made up my cranium to the serengeti that is my back and arse.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It’s only a bike ride ffs.
    Leave the tights and shaved legs to women please.

carbon337
    Free Member

Leave the tights and shaved legs to women please.

^ shakes head at more stw ignorance

You can do a gradual blend if you fancy eyerideit

messiah
    Free Member

Quite a few BMX threads lately 😀

Which sisters jeans?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

yodagoat – Member
    If you want to get fit get a fatbike.

……..Really!!?? 🙄

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘It's all gone a bit roadie on STW!’ is closed to new replies.