Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • It's all gone a bit roadie on STW!
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

There’s a lot of road bike related threads at the moment, is it due to the TDF or the lovely hot summer we’re having.

What’s your reason?

Mines to get fitter and get some big miles in.

metalheart
    Free Member

Because I’ve just done the col de Joux Plane…. Nice and hot and sunny here today. 😉

yunki
    Free Member

I think terrorists must have put large quantities of oestrogen into the water system..

dadster21
    Free Member

Cause there’s a Brit with a yellow jersey on? I am an ex-Roadie but I have yet to be completely expired of roadie ways – so whilst I may ride the muddy trails I do follow the yellow, green, white and polka dot avidly. Damn – it’s hard to give up and, let’s face it, a bike is a bike…..

dadster21
    Free Member

… but once the tour is over – let’s get back to MTB stuff. Either that or show me some pictures of a roadie on a road bike doing singletrack downhills…….!!!!

yodagoat
    Free Member

If you want to get fit get a fatbike.

gb1m
    Free Member

Either that or show me some pictures of a roadie on a road bike doing singletrack downhills…….!!!!

here’s the motorbike equivalent:

landcruiser
    Free Member

The weather mainly, though there does seem to be TDF and Olympic fever out there at the moment which is quite fun to behold. Loads and loads of people on usually virtually deserted roads etc.

yunki
    Free Member

that motorbike vid is wonderful

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep go back just a few years ago on here and you would get called all kinds of things and get a ban for even mentioning road bikes…

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Nobody ever mentions 4X but that’s quite close to mtb-ing, does anybody here do it?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It’s because ‘ex mountain bikers’ have a distinct advantage on a road bike the minute the road points downhill, due to their bike handling skills.

That’s what ITV4 keeps telling me anyway.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

tazzymtb

Either that or show me some pictures of a roadie on a road bike doing singletrack downhills…..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU[/video]

mcboo
    Free Member

It’s because ‘ex mountain bikers’ have a distinct advantage on a road bike the minute the road points downhill, due to their bike handling skills.

Why do they keep saying that? I’ve been a mountain biker for years and I can assure everyone that my bike handling skills on trail or tarmac are frankly pitiful.

messiah
    Free Member

Why do they keep saying that? I’ve been a mountain biker for years and I can assure everyone that my bike handling skills on trail or tarmac are frankly pitiful.

Ex world champ mountain bikers tend to be rather good bike handlers… you can fill this bit in about yourself and how much/little you actually ride and what that says about how good a bike handler you are really… not in your head but really 🙄 :mrgreen:

donsimon
    Free Member

Because being a roadieist is ace.

lex
    Free Member

Ride everything

sputnik
    Free Member

Riding in the mud is considered fun for a couple of months of the year. Doing it all year round is tedious .

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I live in Tamworth where there are no mountains. A two hour mountain bike ride is a trip to the Chase in the car and turns into four hours out of the house. A two hour ride on the road bike is two hours out of the house.

It’s all cycling though whatever shape of frame I have my leg slung over still makes me smile like a ten year old.

ononeorange

Just ignore the tedious roadie threads…..oh blast!

ahwiles
    Free Member

What’s your reason?

my road bike works.

i can’t be bothered changing my gear cables/outers after every ride, so i’ve basically stopped riding my mountain bike…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep go back just a few years ago on here and you would get called all kinds of things and get a ban for even mentioning road bikes…

How long exactly? Not in the 6+ years I’ve been using STW! 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Road bikes make you fitter.

mt
    Free Member

Mountain Road BMX they are all bikes and fun in a different way. Bikes are great.

motorman
    Free Member

Because this forum is full of fannies who don’t like to get wet/dirty 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Biking generally is enjoying a huge surge in interest, Cav as World Champion, medals on the track and road and a Brit in yellow on the TdF. Who cannot fail to be inspired.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So come on then was everyone so wrong on this forum back then or now?

Hypercritical bunch of nancy road biking gayists 🙄

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Riding in the mud is considered fun for a couple of months of the year. Doing it all year round is tedious .

You hit the nail on the head there sputnik.

ashfanman
    Free Member

here’s the motorbike equivalent

Anyone else watch that thinking of a Rob Warner course preview ride? 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Who cannot fail to be inspired.

Me. Road bikes = dull. Road riding = boring. Roadies = tedious.

kimbers

dezb has it!

just come back from a weeks downhilling in morzine got an a gravity enduro coming up in a couple of weeks

loads of people out for the mega at the moment

I_did_dab
    Free Member

Roads dry out quicker than our mud soaked, waterlogged trails…

atlaz
    Free Member

What’s your reason?

Because I like riding bikes

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Road bikes make you fitter.

Having just bought a road bike I still don’t think this is the case.

Road riding is good for the relentless nature of it.

But you can mtb like this round XC routes, you just need a higher level of fitness in the first place to be able to put in that relentless effort whilst pushing through the extra rolling resistance, the mud, and the bumps.

Plus by default there is a bigger interval aspect to the mtb, which is better for cardio.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Plus by default there is a bigger interval aspect to the mtb, which is better for cardio.

Not strictly correct..

A good base is vital to fitness. The best & easiest way to obtain is by miles on the road..

It doesnt have to be dull, just find a decent route.

elaineanne
    Free Member

well ive gone backwards… havent been on the roadie bike for about 3 months (oh)…must get back on it oh dear… 😥

bikebouy
    Free Member

Being an ex semi pro roadie it’s hard not to get the thing from between my legs.

I’d say I do about 70/30 roadie to mtb these days, last year it was the otherway around..year before that it was 90/10 and the year before that it was probably 50/50..

No real problem chatting about roadies, certainly if you ride your mtb too..

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Certainly all the fat old boys in lycra suddenly appear around 4-5pm. I never realised just how many people ride for Sky. My preferred comment is “…it’s like we’re in the tour de france, isn’t it!!…” though all I seem to get back is a twisted, grimacing face. Just one more week then I can get back to a less visually unappealing commute.

billysugger
    Free Member

here’s the motorbike equivalent

Anyone else watch that thinking of a Rob Warner course preview ride?

Yeah and maybe him off Peep Show.

Funny that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘It's all gone a bit roadie on STW!’ is closed to new replies.