Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • It's all Elfins fault!
  • Simwit

I think you should be ashamed 😉

‘Sacked, stationmaster who pulled trolley off line to stop an accident… and what a surprise, it’s all down to elf ‘n’ safety’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385895/Stationmaster-Ian-Faletto-sacked-stopping-accident-Lymington-Pier.html

Seriously though, this kind of thing really naffs me off. Whatever happened to common sense?

Oops wrong forum, please move mods. Ta

molgrips
    Free Member

DO NOT READ THE DAILY MAIL

wwaswas

Whatever happened to common sense

well checking if the power had actually been switched off when he asked would have been a fairly common sense thing to do and probably indicates that the policy of not letting station staff remove obstacles from the track is a good one?

molgrips
    Free Member

I guarantee there is much more to the story than the Daily Bolx have made out. Which is why you should not read it.

Edukator
    Free Member

A warning letter, a short suspension, but the sack. Bar stewards.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Should’ve used a chopper

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I bet you the true story is rather different.

project
    Free Member

The fat controller wins again.

thefallguy
    Free Member

The station master is on Jeremy vine in a few mins

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its all a load complete rubbish, Ashurst and Beauleiu Road are on the Southampton to Bournemouth main line, not the Lymington Pier Branch.
    Plus there is not booking office at Lymington Pier, this all happened at Lymington Town station. 😳

Simwit

To be honest I didn’t even twig that it was from the Mail, it was just supposed to be a bit of a fun play on words, ah well.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

😐

What have I done now?

😥

molgrips
    Free Member

it was just supposed to be a bit of a fun play on words

Oh well in that case I apologise profusely 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stationmaster Ian Faletto even spent his own money on flowers, carpets and heaters as well as handing out free sweets and jigsaws to travellers.

😕 free sweets and jigsaws to travellers ? …….the geezer is clearly a nutter who should have been sacked years ago.

And a train hitting a corpse plus a shopping trolley is probably a tad more dangerous than just hitting a trolley.

Clever play on words though 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’ll take back what I said concerning the geezer clearly being some sort of nutter.

I’m not so sure now ……….. he looks completely normal in this pic

I wonder what sort of jigsaws he handed out to his customers.

naedeyw
    Free Member

Blow that, looks a bit of a sucker to me with a name like his 😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

battery ones?
    Cable would just add to the madness of the situation though they do appear to have apower source

atlaz
    Free Member

Bit more info in this one: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/8506898/Award-winning-station-manager-sacked-for-removing-trolley-from-track.html

Mental that the signal box told him the power was off but it wasn’t. Did those lot get sacked too then?

molgrips
    Free Member

That says more.

He thinks he followed procedure – that would not seem to constitute gross misconduct, would it…?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s only him who’s claiming in the article that he was told that the power had been switched off. And also it’s only him too who’s claiming that a train might have hit the trolley, there’s no proof that it was sufficiently close to the rails to cause that to happen.

Of course it’s always possible that South West Trains sacked one of their model employees for no reason at all. But I can’t see any compelling evidence of that.

yossarian
    Free Member

Speaking as a health and safety bod I’d have to say:

A. It sounds extremely harsh taken in isolation
    B. As such there has to be a great deal more to this than meets the eye. Already on a warning for similar things? Knowingly breaching safety rules?
    C. I would bet a large sum of money on him having a hornby scale model of the station and himself in a dedicated room in his house.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s only him who’s claiming in the article that he was told that the power had been switched off. And also it’s only him too who’s claiming that a train might have hit the trolley, there’s no proof that it was sufficiently close to the rails to cause that to happen

Is there nothing you’re incapable of arguing the toss over?

Junkyard
    Free Member

thinking you have followed procedure and actually following procedure are not the same t[/quote]hing.
    Either way seems a rather harsh decision – as poster from the telegraph link siad

Utterly ridiculous. OK, this was a sackable offence but it doesn’t mean he has to be sacked.

If the word went out “Mr Faletto has been spared the ultimate sanction because of the outstanding quality of his work over many years” then perhaps a few other rail employees might get the message that it does pay to do your job exceptionally well.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not if I put my mind to it **

Although in this case, it would appear that it’s not me who’s challenging and arguing the toss.

** watch Argumental on Dave for hints how it’s done PP

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would bet a large sum of money on him having a hornby scale model of the station and himself in a dedicated room in his house that he shares with his mum

FTFY

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Although in this case, it would appear that it’s not me who’s challenging and arguing the toss.

It must be hard being so perfect and superior all the time

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You’d be surprised……not really.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I notice the following is missing from most articles:

“This action was taken following a full and thorough internal investigation and the decision was also upheld at an appeal hearing,”

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It must be hard being so perfect and superior all the time

Comes very naturally and easily for me actually. 🙂

I think it’s important to try and see beyond the quite obviously biased bit of piss-poor ‘journalism’, and try and be objective, as Ernie is suggesting. I doubt very much he’s bin sacked ‘unfairly’.

Of course, he being a seemingly nice if a tad eccentric chap with other people’s best interests at heart makes it seem all the more unfair. I must say I do feel a bit sorry for him tbh.

He does need to gain other interests though, and maybe this will give him that opportunity to widen his horizons.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“This action was taken following a full and thorough internal investigation and the decision was also upheld at an appeal hearing,”

And there lies the problem.

As far as I am aware South West Trains have to respect the privacy of an employee and cannot go into any details concerning the “thorough internal investigation” or the appeal hearing.

Which is handy for the tabloids as only Ian Faletto’s side of the story will be heard, as they whip up their readers in a Health & Safety/political correctness/Nanny State gone mad frenzy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m sick of being blamed for all of life’s ills, I have to say. It’s grossly unfair and unwarranted. 🙁

highclimber
    Free Member

reading the daily mail causes cancer.

on a side note. if the guy was a nutter and the guys who control the powerlines really didn’t like him, its feasable that they just told him it was off in the off chance he touched the power line to do away with him!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The plot thickens……….highclimber might be on to something. A long standing feud between our hero and the fat controller might be at the root cause. I suspect that foul play might indeed have been the motive.

Devilishly clever of you highclimber, and Holmes would be most proud.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe they’ll scrap health and safety legislation.

Then the DM can bang on about people being hurt in accidents at work, asking ‘Why wasn’t something done?!’

Gary_C

Taken from the Teleraph website (My bold):

“They say he spent thousands of pounds of his own money buying flowers, magazines and sweets to make the station more welcoming, while also putting in thousands of hours of unpaid overtime to maintain his own rigorous standards of cleanliness.”

Nutter. Who in their right mind does this?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Someone who cares about others?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He also didn’t have a holiday for 5 years.

TBH I feel sorry for the guy. Going by this pic :

I’m guessing that Isambard Kingdom Brunel might have been his hero.

And working on the railways was probably a dream come true for him.

Plus I bet his customers will miss his jigsaws 😐

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘It's all Elfins fault!’ is closed to new replies.