Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • It turns out Bridge is not a sport after all.
  • SaxonRider

I’m shocked.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bit like darts then if the basis is not enough physical activity. Arguably golf too 😛

aracer
    Free Member

The question that arises in this case is not the broad, somewhat philosophical, question as to whether or not bridge is a sport

bikebouy
    Free Member

They brought it to gain funding really from the Lottery.

Whilst I agree it’s not physical, it’s certainly a large participation event and therefore should at least be considered for funding of some sort.

the-muffin-man

…therefore should at least be considered for funding of some sort.

Those packs of playing cards can be very expensive – I can see how this may be a barrier to people from poorer backgrounds! 😀

gatsby
    Free Member

My rule of thumb is that if you don’t need special shoes, it ain’t sport.
    This rule kinda breaks down with swimming and martial arts but by and large, it works…

Cycling (with special shoes) = Sport
    Cycling (without special shoes) = Dicking about on a bike or commuting
    Cricket = A game
    Golf = A game
    Darts = A game
    Rugby = Sport
    Football (with special shoes) = Sport
    Football (without special shoes) = Dicking about with a football…

See? It seems to work…

I’ve not read the whole ruling, but whether or not it is a sport seems to come down to whose definition of sport you use.

The English sports council definition does not include games like bridge, but there are other equally valid definitions that would include bridge.

But the sports council are quite within their rights to use their definition, and thus exclude bridge from funding.

or something like that.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Gatsby:

what about 10 pin bowling?

gatsby
    Free Member

Sadly, it’s a sport… However, I’m willing to accept that it falls into that awkward hinterland betwixt sport and game on the basis that you could play it without any problems in normal shoes, apart from the fact that the bowling lane owners insist…

It’s quite a clever ploy by the aforementioned bowling lane owners to elevate it to sport status, and thus be eligible for funding.

If only the Bridge powers-that-be had thought of adopting their own special footwear, they wouldn’t be in this mess!

wwaswas

Bridge shoe:

Trimix
    Free Member

I use the rule of “can you do it in trousers”

If yes, then its not a sport.

ahwiles
    Free Member

gatsby – Member

My rule of thumb is that if you don’t need special shoes, it ain’t sport.
    This rule kinda breaks down with swimming and martial arts but by and large, it works…

i reckon it kinda works for swimming and martial arts. if we change ‘special shoes’ to ‘footwear requirements’.

‘no shoes’ is a footwear requirement.

aracer
    Free Member

Good point

wwaswas

based on that picture where does ‘in your pyjamas’ fit into things?

aracer
    Free Member

Sport?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oddly compelling ruling

Either way, bloody good fun, especially in the early hours with a malt and/or calvados. Four hour sesh last Friday but disappointed that guests’ stamina ran out at 01:00. Lightweights!

binners

This stems from the sense of entitlement of the English middle classes dictating that everything they do is worthy of recognition as being absolutely marvelous

If Bridge is a sport, then so is staying in a ****ing tee pee at Glastonbury, or putting your Ocado delivery away 🙄

woody2000

Bowling shoes are not to protect the approaches, they’re to allow you to slide. Play in normal trainers and you plant your foot and jerk the ball. I reckon it falls into the “golf” category in terms of physical exertion.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02imeWT-3OA[/video]

stevomcd
    Free Member

Gatsby: You’ve really never seen a pair of these?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My local 10 pin Bowling Alley allow you to play in your own shoes provided they are a one piece rubber sole.

I think the “special shoes” thing works, but perhaps maybe just “can it be played in any type of footwear” if the answer is “Yes” = Not a sport!

aracer
    Free Member

So cycling, football and athletics aren’t sports?

gatsby
    Free Member

Gatsby: You’ve really never seen a pair of these?

I actually have a pair, very similar but a different brand. And having playing in a pair of Chucks, I can attest to the fact that it would take a helluva a lot more than spikey shoes to improve my game!

Anyway, I always thought they were just a way of aerating the greens and saving the green-keeper a job 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Binners, FA to do with class. Get two packs of cards and three mates and off you go – hours of fun!

Keeps my old mum mentally active too.

binners

Binners, FA to do with class.

Indeed. The Salford league is particularly competitive at the moment. Its what they police are attributing a lot of the recent shootings too 😉

andytherocketeer

golf shoes are also a ploy to attempt to elevate it to “sport”.
    not even sure I’d call it a game. pastime perhaps. or an outdoor business meeting.

totalshell

sports usually cannot be done competantly whilst wearing a cravat.. last time tour de france was won in a cravat? last time a grandprix was won in a cravat? last time MO Farah ran in a cravat?..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@totalshell – a modern day cravat is a called a Buff!

Edit

aracer – Member
    So cycling, football and athletics aren’t sports?

Not my point – you cannot “play” (compete) in those sports in any type of footwear; you must use specific types – boots/trainers/cleats etc so you can’t be serious about it in your Grannie’s Slippers or Wife’s Wellies… but playing bridge or darts or snooker in slippers/wellies/barefoot make no difference at all.

Trimix
    Free Member

Didn’t Sir Stirling Moss wear a Cravat ?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Climbing more or less requires special shoes and yet a lot of participants (only really in the UK to be fair) swear blind it’s not a sport. It can be done in trousers and a cravat though so maybe that explains the confusion.

The International Olympic Comittee classify Bridge as a sport.

Although going by their reputation, money may have changed hands.

wwaswas

Although going by their reputation, money diamonds (or possibly hearts) may have changed hands.

ftfy

portlyone

The International Olympic Comittee classify Bridge as a sport.

Imagine how long the lists of (life saving) drugs every contestant is on would be…

deadkenny
    Free Member

gatsby – Member
    Cycling (with special shoes)

Five Ten Impacts certain are a bit “special” 😆

My rule though goes… if it’s boring to watch, it’s not a Sport. So that certainly covers Bridge, Darts, Snooker, Golf 😛

andytherocketeer

My rule though goes… if it’s boring to watch, it’s not a Sport. So that certainly covers…

Football
    that’s art. especially the diving.
    So we can add Diving, and anything else that’s judged.

gatsby
    Free Member

No, cos then Great British Bake Off and X-Factor would be sports…

29erKeith
    Free Member

Why can’t we just say a it’s a sporting if you can only be really competitive/pro at it if your not overweight?

Yes I’m a bit fattest or more accurately obese-its. Btw I’m the heaviest I’ve been in 10 years but I’ve got an excuse at the moment, really hating it though

There have been and are fat pro golfers for sure, bridge yep you can be fat and amazing at it I’m sure.
    So that’ll bin off the shooters and archers unless part of the pentathlon. No probs with that.

Mind you the shot putters and hammer-its would be out, bugger I’m unpicking myself already. Works for most stuff though I think?

gatsby
    Free Member

What about Sumo? That falls foul of both mine and Keith’s definitions of sport…

retro83
    Free Member

binners – Member

This stems from the sense of entitlement of the English middle classes dictating that everything they do is worthy of recognition as being absolutely marvelous

If Bridge is a sport, then so is staying in a ****ing tee pee at Glastonbury, or putting your Ocado delivery away

I thought this post was gonna be a full house.

? Middle Class entitlement
    ? ‘Little Englanders’
    ? Tories
    ? Ocado
    ? Greggs
    ? Thatcher

Not even close! 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘It turns out Bridge is not a sport after all.’ is closed to new replies.